The Streak-Taibu Scrutiny

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: The Streak-Taibu Scrutiny

Post by tawac »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am
Mehluhi Sibanda is a massive critic of Taibu but his ‘bright idea’ was to bring back Tymcen Maruma 😂😂😂 that Sibanda is a moron don’t see how he can possibly be the leading sports writer in the country all his articles are so basic.
I don't think Taibu is in good books with any local journalist. Most claim to have be blocked by him on his twitter account after criticizing his selections. Come to think of it, Taibu hardly offers any interviews to our local guys. The last one he did must have been in Bangladesh.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 am
Can we add coaching, tactics, and game plan to the questionable section.
I thought about it, but is this something where we can pin it on only Streak and Taibu, be it success or failure? The coaching needed at this level is more subtle, and regarding game plan, who knows if these guys are giving it and the skipper could be losing the plot on the field or the players (most likely) are not executing the plans? So, left out this topic as it has everyone accountable.
tawac wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 am
When did we get rid of Chibhabha I thought he played in the last test? Oh, that was a nightmare.
He did, but he has been missing from the ODI XI for more than a year now, and even this test match was a last ditch horses for courses attempt. I believe they have moved on from Chamu especially after that test and after the lacklustre A team UAE trip (and rightly so).
tawac wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 am
The selection policies adapted by Streak and Taibu haven't been the best. We can be critical of players like Vusi and Elton but Moor, Waller easily fall into the same bracket. But then again someone like Elton actually did come good from time to time. The things Googly talks about are really scary. If we don't qualify then Streak and Taibu would have failed. They should have insured that going into the qualifiers we have a well prepped team but as it stands. We have one played who hasn't played a single game and another one who isn't 100% fit.
Do we have specific solutions? Elton was clearly in worse form (if at all) in domestic cricket than Waller and there are no other power hitters in the entire country. Zhuwao has made it. The only other name that comes to mind is Shingi. I have addressed the selection issues in the original post, but to be fair to Streak and Taibu, they are not as glaring as they are being out to be given the options available.
jaybro wrote:

I agree with most of what you’ve said Crimson except for the Ngarava one, he did really well against Afghanistan but obviously had that poor match against Scotland.
Yeah, he has basically not progressed as a player as these two had hoped. Compare his learning with Blessing's, or even Mumba's. Vast difference. Punting on Ngarava wasn't wrong, but the end result so far has been not special.
jaybro wrote:
but again the critics don’t have many good ideas of their own
Precisely.
tawac wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:50 am
I don't think Taibu is in good books with any local journalist. Most claim to have be blocked by him on his twitter account after criticizing his selections. Come to think of it, Taibu hardly offers any interviews to our local guys.
He gave multiple interviews to Dean du Plessis over the last year and a half. And a couple of others too. And how he handles his twitter account is his personal preference. He can't be judged on that. Plus no other selection panel prior to this has been very forthcoming with their reasoning too. Taibu has been fairly open most of the time.

I guess what most people need is Streak's and Taibu's thoughts on the domestic performances and how they see it from selection point of view. Barring Mutizwa and Mutombodzi, most domestic performers have been rewarded with either national team or A team places. Mutizwa's lack of opportunities with Zim setup predates this selection panel too.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 am
Can we add coaching, tactics, and game plan to the questionable section.
I thought about it, but is this something where we can pin it on only Streak and Taibu, be it success or failure? The coaching needed at this level is more subtle, and regarding game plan, who knows if these guys are giving it and the skipper could be losing the plot on the field or the players (most likely) are not executing the plans? So, left out this topic as it has everyone accountable.
Is it not then the coach;s responsibility to pull the player aside or the captain aside when they do not follow instructions, then whose is it. If a player continually fails to follow instructions, then again, does it not fall down to the coach and selector to drop said players?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 pm
Is it not then the coach;s responsibility to pull the player aside or the captain aside when they do not follow instructions, then whose is it. If a player continually fails to follow instructions, then again, does it not fall down to the coach and selector to drop said players?
Agreed. But there is no way to know if they have already not done that - pulling them aside and giving them a tough talk - like "don't get frustrated and go for a stupid shot if runs aren't flowing in the first few overs, once you are set, they will always come" to Hamilton, or "don't play areal shots till you are well set" to Taylor, or "don't f#$%@ing reverse sweep from ball one" to Mire. But the players might have still not carried it out in the middle. Plus not dropping people is what I touched upon with Waller as an example. They have dropped others like Chigs and Vusi before, but they might be averse to too much chopping and changing just prior to the qualifiers. Plus the lack of credible replacements. If a couple of these non-performers (especially Waller) don't go after the qualifiers, then Streak and Taibu have a lot to answer.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

I think if we don’t make the qualifiers there will be a few players that leave zim cricket for good to chase money elsewhere , one I think will be ervine and it really wouldn’t surprise
Me if taylor packed up ship. That would be devastating for zim , I know it sounds hard o believe but honestly what would these older
Dudes who have played at world cups want to hang around for . I also think hammy will play t20 comps
Around the world.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yeah, I doubt BT will stick around if we don't qualify. He may not even stick around past the World Cup if we do qualify.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Thought he signed a long term deal? Don't know if he can walk out that easy?. Previously their contracts were renewed every year but I think Jarvis and Taylor got 4 year deals if I Remember correctly. It would be silly if ZC also included a clause for them to get out and also have paid them a lot of money upfront

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

There’s always talk of a mass walk out after a World Cup for Zimbabwe but let’s face it where are they going ??

None of the players are that popular when it comes to various t20 leagues around the world so I’m not really worried I think they’ll all stay. They’re greeting paid well now so why leave?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:10 am
There’s always talk of a mass walk out after a World Cup for Zimbabwe but let’s face it where are they going ??

None of the players are that popular when it comes to various t20 leagues around the world so I’m not really worried I think they’ll all stay. They’re greeting paid well now so why leave?
+1. They have nowhere to go. Even Taylor and Jarvis. The last time they went to UK, they timed it so well at the top of their form. Now that their performances have been indifferent, I'm guessing there won't be many teams willing to take them back. Hamilton, at the top of his batting form towards the end of last year, could not get even a BPL gig. How would his sudden retirement open up opportunities? The only way they can do that is to put up truckloads of good performances back to back to catch world's attention, and if they do that, we might as well qualify :D

The only risk of leaving could be Raza, who might actually get regular gigs at least in BPL, PSL, CPL and the Afghan leagues.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 pm
Agreed. But there is no way to know if they have already not done that - pulling them aside and giving them a tough talk - like "don't get frustrated and go for a stupid shot if runs aren't flowing in the first few overs, once you are set, they will always come" to Hamilton, or "don't play areal shots till you are well set" to Taylor, or "don't f#$%@ing reverse sweep from ball one" to Mire. But the players might have still not carried it out in the middle. Plus not dropping people is what I touched upon with Waller as an example. They have dropped others like Chigs and Vusi before, but they might be averse to too much chopping and changing just prior to the qualifiers. Plus the lack of credible replacements. If a couple of these non-performers (especially Waller) don't go after the qualifiers, then Streak and Taibu have a lot to answer.
True, it is hard to know who is doing what and who isn't. I do feel though that if a players refuses to listen and follow instructions, then drop them. Make it be known they are not bigger than the team. What do you stand to lose by bringing a youngster who is willing to listen and work hard and hopefully follow your plan. What is the point in having a plan if you are going to pick players that refuse to follow it.