What if we were the change?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: What if we were the change?

Post by Andybligzz »

strikerlube wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:55 am
Sadly Im only a 21year old student living in Australia but I will do my utmost to help in whatever way possible (large or small). I really want to get around this boys. I plan on saving to visit zimbabwe next year if I can and once i finish studying economics i want to head over and make something work!!!
Didn’t realise you were so young striker ! I’m currently saving myself to hopefully be over there this time next year , be pretty cool to meet over there man
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Your age is not a hurdle. Everyone gets to contribute in whatever little way they can. Hopefully once we have a more structured set up we will know the best way forward. Still waiting on guys like Googly to read through the idea proposal and get back.

Most likely looking at a Zim trip end of this year at the moment, but if we can make the WC, then definitely want to be making a few world cup games in England next year.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Someone mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here because I think it is a good idea.

As great as it would be to fundraise a bit and buy some equipment for the guys over in Zim or something like that, there's probably very little tangible benefit. And we have to be realistic, this forum and a few Facebook groups is not going to raise tens of thousands of dollars or anything like that so any efforts probably need to be quite targeted.

To make a real, measurable impact the way to go is to sponsor a player of any age. Say there's a 15-yo up and comer, he's the guy that $1000 (or whatever we could fundraise) could have a life changing impact on. Maybe that could buy him some time with coaches that know what they're doing, maybe it can buy a term at a private school (I've got no idea what that costs), maybe it could pay for a week in South Africa for a clinic - I don't know.

And to be honest, anyone that donates whether they say it or not, wants to know where exactly their money is going. If it's used to sponsor a player, those donating get to see some bang for their buck because there's an actual person whose progress can be tracked and get actual feedback from, etc.

They're just my thoughts anyway.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZCF Member Initiative

An independently run organisation set up to assist in the development and promotion of cricket in Zimbabwe.

Key goals

1) To provide support where necessary towards cricket development.
2) Provide equipment and materials required in the development of individuals and teams.
3) Assist with funding and management of finances for the betterment of the game.
4) Provide assistance to teams and coaches with regards to developing the standard of coaching and infrastructure.
5) Serve as an independent fan-based organisation to ensure the correct standards and structures are implemented for the betterment of the game.

The organisation will not have a sole serving individual responsible for any decisions. It will be made up of a selected group of individuals and held accountable by regular inspection and revision. Decisions will be made based on fully assessed circumstances, requirements, and needs. The group will work closely with already set up academies and structures to deliver its goals. It will not serve as an alternative seeking to usurp or replace any structures already in place.

Members are welcome from across the globe and all individuals are allowed to join and be a part of the project. Any individuals looking to use this group to drive and pursue personal agendas and goals will be excluded immediately. As an open group, modes and methods of fundraising are not limited, but must fall within the framework of the key goals of the group. No individual or group is allowed to use this platform for personal gain under the guise of fundraising.
[/quote]

The key issue is what level of fund raising are you initially talking about and then subsequently anticipating. With respect, people are always enthusiastic in the beginning, but often this type of thing often peters out before it gains traction.
There are two separate issues here-
One is the provision of kit and the second is actual money.
The kit side of things is a lot easier to deal with. Kit needs to arrive here, new or second hand, and a method of disbursing it to the players needs to be devised. It’s not an easy task, but it’s feasible.
The volume of stuff arriving will dictate how it’s disbursed.
Funding actual activities is a whole new ball game.
You can’t commit to funding a team unless you’re certain of what you’re going to be getting and the continuity of it. You’re going to run into problems with ZC. I’m sure funds will be gratefully received but casting an aspersion on their ability to untilize the funds will not go down well. They control all aspects of cricket here so the reality is you have to find someone to work with them. That’s a tough one to find the right person.
You need to engage Sean Bell, Robin Brown, Gary Brent and probably Kenyon Ziehl to see what they think. I’d be surprised if they offered their services for anything beyond handing kit it to people, but you never know. There’s battle fatigue and post traumatic stress disorder in abundance here. I’m not specifially mentioning white guys here, I don’t know too many of the development coaches. I have no doubt there are good ones. These guys can tell you so they are.
If there was quite a bit of money on offer I’d be inclined to putting it towards identifying 5 or 6 kids and (10-16) and putting that money towards getting them one on one time two or three times a week with a good coach, like a coaching scholarship type thing, where the coach was also obliged to report to the funders the progress of the players.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I like admin’s idea of money to fund a particularly good kid, it’s what I said at the bottom of my post. I said 5 or 6, he’s saying 1, but we’re on the same page.
Kit is really good though.
Finding the right kids for a sponsorship thing won’t be easy. There aren’t many dedicated kids. If you find one you’ve got to get him to the coach as well (transport). These are all nice gestures but the practicalities are another issue.
I know a few great talents, but they’re in private schools and they’re not “grass roots” so to speak, but they’re also not exposed to the coaching they should be. Someone like Gargamel might have an input as to a really good deserving kid out there.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

What about contributing to a scholarship at a private school like Peterhouse or Prince Edward, or something? A school would hopefully provide the financial transparency necessary for people to feel comfortable donating.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This is not some fly by night idea. I am passionate about Zim Cricket and feel we can do something, so I am certainly not willing to give up onthis.

Equipment is tangible which means we get to see it being used and utilised. The effects of of donating something like that can be seen.

Alternatively, the option to sponsor or provide funding to an individual is not something we shouldn't consider. If this is a better route to go through then it is something to look at. Why can't we have a ZCF scholarship so to speak.

My main concern with sponsoring an individual is their application. How do we know that the individual will give their all and be committed to the scholarship?

These are all ideas we need to iron out and work through to find the best solution. Just because ZCF or other individuals do not really care, why should we hold the same mentality. It wont work if we choose to accept that.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It would be pretty cool if we were able to fund a young kid to go to school and play cricket for St John's or who ever and watch him come through the Under 17's to under 19's World cup then make his inter national debut. What a story it would be I can see it now with Tino Mawoyo in commentary .....

" Now with Zimbabwe 5 down for 130 a young man ( insert name here ) strides to the crease for his first international innings, he has a great story this young man coming from an underprivileged town in the Highlands he was sponsored by members of the famous ZCF who paid his way through school and junior cricket and have taken him on a wonderful journey which brings him here today Im sure all the members of the ZCF will be watching from far and wide and wishing their man luck".

I would be down for this more so as it's achievable and we'll know where the money is going and it's less likely to be stolen.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Andybligzz wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:47 am
strikerlube wrote:
Sadly Im only a 21year old student living in Australia but I will do my utmost to help in whatever way possible (large or small). I really want to get around this boys. I plan on saving to visit zimbabwe next year if I can and once i finish studying economics i want to head over and make something work!!!
Didn’t realise you were so young striker ! I’m currently saving myself to hopefully be over there this time next year , be pretty cool to meet over there man
Yeah it sucks!!! Sounds like a plan I’ll aim for this time next year too. Would be awesome, hopefully I can save enough for it.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

strikerlube wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:47 am
strikerlube wrote:
Yeah it sucks!!! Sounds like a plan I’ll aim for this time next year too. Would be awesome, hopefully I can save enough for it.
I’ve only just turned 25 myself man , think you myself and sloany might be the youngest baring a few
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!