What if we were the change?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: What if we were the change?

Post by eugene »

As stated, it is all about finding the right person on the ground in Zimbabwe. You want a googly, not a watermelon! Perhaps John Ward might be worth contacting also?

My social media page Zimbabwe Cricket News has about 14,000 followers on facebook and 2200 on twitter, not sure if this could be of any help to get the word out, let me know if so.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 pm

I’d forgotten about cricket boots. The lads are in dire need. Decent helmets too. I see boys sharing helmets as well. That’s about as hygiene as sharing a box! :lol:
A few keeping gloves as well. Machine balls as well, not necessarily for a bowling machine, but for sidearm use, because they last longer and are kinder on bats. You can get light machine balls, which are great for the younger kids or for throwing fast without risking killin the player whilst getting him used to pace.
You guys really don’t get how dire it is here.
This seems like a good start. Whether this means we actually buy the kit ourselves that way we know the money is not being misspent, or we get the money and find a person we can trust to spend it correctly as and when they need depending on what is needed at the time.
eugene wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 pm
As stated, it is all about finding the right person on the ground in Zimbabwe. You want a googly, not a watermelon! Perhaps John Ward might be worth contacting also?

My social media page Zimbabwe Cricket News has about 14,000 followers on facebook and 2200 on twitter, not sure if this could be of any help to get the word out, let me know if so.
That sort of following will definitely come in handy, but before we can appeal to such a broad market, we probably need to have an idea down pat and solid so we know what we are doing and how we are doing it.

I don't know what the zim communities are like where everyone is, but maybe if it builds we could be doing things where we can have like a Zim team vs Aus/Eng etc wherever we stay a, play a T20 match and have things like braais etc where the proceeds can go towards this. Those kind of things are spitball at the moment and not definite.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sorry Eugene, I should have mentioned your platforms.
The cheapest kit is from India, sporting goods don’t attract duty. One option is to launch the concept on your platforms and invite people to propose/forward names of people in need backed by stats or some sort of short CV. That on a public forum is questionable, so probably needs to be done privately. Someone would need to sift thru that and verify information. I’m just brainstorming, there’s a way, we just have to figure it out.

mluga

Post by mluga »

That is a great idea but I think we should focus on infastructure first do the grounds and pitches first and then focus on equipment next..with the grounds in rural zimbabwe it will be easier to organise regional tournaments..and could spring step this to the national level

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I have some days off on the weekend, I might get a start on it then. I definitely feel like there is a way and it's just about figuring it out.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Views and thoughts from someone like auszim could also be very helpful on this topic...

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Ok, so I have been rather swamped and have some issues that came up for me to be super clear on the idea, but I managed to put something together. Feedback and editing is most welcome. Perhaps someone can word it better and put it in to plan better.
ZCF Member Initiative

An independently run organisation set up to assist in the development and promotion of cricket in Zimbabwe.

Key goals

1) To provide support where necessary towards cricket development.
2) Provide equipment and materials required in the development of individuals and teams.
3) Assist with funding and management of finances for the betterment of the game.
4) Provide assistance to teams and coaches with regards to developing the standard of coaching and infrastructure.
5) Serve as an independent fan-based organisation to ensure the correct standards and structures are implemented for the betterment of the game.

The organisation will not have a sole serving individual responsible for any decisions. It will be made up of a selected group of individuals and held accountable by regular inspection and revision. Decisions will be made based on fully assessed circumstances, requirements, and needs. The group will work closely with already set up academies and structures to deliver its goals. It will not serve as an alternative seeking to usurp or replace any structures already in place.

Members are welcome from across the globe and all individuals are allowed to join and be a part of the project. Any individuals looking to use this group to drive and pursue personal agendas and goals will be excluded immediately. As an open group, modes and methods of fundraising are not limited, but must fall within the framework of the key goals of the group. No individual or group is allowed to use this platform for personal gain under the guise of fundraising.

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

mluga wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 am
That is a great idea but I think we should focus on infastructure first do the grounds and pitches first and then focus on equipment next..with the grounds in rural zimbabwe it will be easier to organise regional tournaments..and could spring step this to the national level
The rural route wont work .u are on your own on that one

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Perhaps ZCF could sponsor a domestic franchise or a club competition? The money these guys are getting paid is pretty minimal by western standards.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Sadly Im only a 21year old student living in Australia but I will do my utmost to help in whatever way possible (large or small). I really want to get around this boys. I plan on saving to visit zimbabwe next year if I can and once i finish studying economics i want to head over and make something work!!!