What if we were the change?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

What if we were the change?

Post by zimbos_05 »

So having read a few things on this forum, I got a little bored at work and was thinking, what if we were the change.

Clearly guys like Sean Bell and the like are trying to do some good work in zim with their academies and so on, which is fantastic, but what if we were able to be part of the in some way through some sort of contribution. The details are a little sketchy, but I just got excited by the idea and wanted to post it straight away or I would forget.

So we know there is a lack of resources at club level. What if created a contribution page where members and if they have any friends or anyone who also wanted to, could contribute towards buying of equipment and so on. It is obviously important that it goes to the right hands and gets put to correct use, so perhaps maybe someone like Googly could assist with this, or even if we got in direct contact with Sean or Gary Brent, or even Streaks academy.

The other thing is maybe even donating products to villages and teaching someone on the ground to be able to teach the kids. Starting in a social manner and building up from there. We could even donate coaching books so people could use the books to learn without having to go through hefty courses and hone their skills on a raw level.

Some of the members on here are all over the globe. We have access to so many suppliers and even just through things like Alibaba we can access so much. If a talented player is in need of some shoes, we can step in and get some shoes for him. If a club needs some playing kit, we can get some and send it over.

Ok, this is a rough plan and idea...happy for any views and thoughts, any criticism is welcome. If you feel it wont work, then so be it. I figured if we want to see change, perhaps we need to be a part of it and maybe do whatever little we can.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: What if we were the change?

Post by sloandog »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:58 am
So having read a few things on this forum, I got a little bored at work and was thinking, what if we were the change.

Clearly guys like Sean Bell and the like are trying to do some good work in zim with their academies and so on, which is fantastic, but what if we were able to be part of the in some way through some sort of contribution. The details are a little sketchy, but I just got excited by the idea and wanted to post it straight away or I would forget.

So we know there is a lack of resources at club level. What if created a contribution page where members and if they have any friends or anyone who also wanted to, could contribute towards buying of equipment and so on. It is obviously important that it goes to the right hands and gets put to correct use, so perhaps maybe someone like Googly could assist with this, or even if we got in direct contact with Sean or Gary Brent, or even Streaks academy.

The other thing is maybe even donating products to villages and teaching someone on the ground to be able to teach the kids. Starting in a social manner and building up from there. We could even donate coaching books so people could use the books to learn without having to go through hefty courses and hone their skills on a raw level.

Some of the members on here are all over the globe. We have access to so many suppliers and even just through things like Alibaba we can access so much. If a talented player is in need of some shoes, we can step in and get some shoes for him. If a club needs some playing kit, we can get some and send it over.

Ok, this is a rough plan and idea...happy for any views and thoughts, any criticism is welcome. If you feel it wont work, then so be it. I figured if we want to see change, perhaps we need to be a part of it and maybe do whatever little we can.
It's a great idea, but very risky. If I got involved with this (and I know I could help in the funds through our company) I would need guarentees that ZC would have nothing to do with it, and that Sean or Gary or a reputable individual would be taking it forward.
The fact that I am not based in Zimbabwe (as is the case with many here) begins the process on shaky grounds. I'd be interested to see what the general consenus is here with the other forum members.
Additionally, security for a facebook page or social media outlet would have to be extremely tight. I wouldn't want just 'fans' asking to join; it would be purely for the development of cricket in Zimbabwe.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It’s a nice gesture and cricket equipment is always gratefully received here, particularly good balls, not bat breakers.
I don’t know what level of donations you’re talking about?

Please trust me and forget that village stuff you’re talking about. Books are ok but there’s so much stuff on the internet nowadays that books are always good but less relevant than they used to be. If anyone has an interest in coaching there’s only one book to ever read -
Bob Woolmer’s The Art and Science of Cricket.
I would love to have met that man, profoundly thoughtful, probably bordering on brilliant. I think it’s about 700 pages. I refer to it all the time.

I like the idea a lot but hard to implement successfully and also quite hard to get a FB page going that will get any kind of meaningful membership I would imagine. The cricket FB pages are just horrible, endless inappropriate postings and comments from people who should just read and learn and not contribute. I think Eugene runs a page but the public here prefer the gutter commentary of locally administered pages and he’s stopped making regular posts. Interestingly there’s a delightful Frenchman who runs Zimbabwe School Cricket FB page , I’m really not sure his ties with cricket or Zim but that’s fairly well supported.
A real win would be getting Club cricket functional here and out from under ZC, but I honestly have my doubts as to the level of interest. There’s always much enthusiasm early season, but then it always fizzles out, and it’s not entirely ZC’s fault. (I choke saying that :lol: ). These two-bit clubs often have problems raising sides, especially when they see they’re getting dry humped by mid season.
You’d have to ask someone like SB or GB if they would be keen to assist because they’re the right guys for sure, but something supposedly as simple as kit disbursement doesn’t come without a surprising number of problems. There’s always someone ready to complain and stir the pot.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yes I do run a facebook page, tend to just post reputable articles with a few interviews here and there. ZC Cricket Talks or whatever it is called is more gutter-level stuff with most posters lacking even a basic grasp of English.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:58 am

I think its tough when you think about it, this forum is primarily filled with people like orchestra musicians in texas, HR Advisors and builders in Sydney, uni students in England, medical types in India, and everything else.
Although that said, people like Auszim have made it happen and keep close to the action so dont let the above be a killer.

Although i think that if we have to donate shoes to the boys, implying they dont have access too, or can afford proper shoes, then the problem is deeper than we can handle.

I'm in the googly camp that the way forward right at this time is to consolidate and invest in the known high performers, dare i say, the rich kids.

The fast bowlers will need to come from the bush and jungle, as thats more raw talent/a quantity of numbers game, but that will need an alternate strategy.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I knew as soon as I was posting this that there would be hurdles and the idea would have some teething problems. I also then thought about the idea that nothing will happen if good people sit by and watch. We have to be active in some sense and unfortunately we can't be active as most other teams supporters who will purchase merchandise and then their boards will put that money back in to the game. It almost feels like we need to be more ground level.

My biggest worry is as Sloan said, for those of us overseas, we need to know it going to the right people. The idea would not be to usurp ZC or ignore them, but more at a ground level support for a lot of the issues Googly raises. We're more sort of a support structure for the work that SB and GB are already doing. Like googly says, equipment is important so that is something we will focus on first maybe. We focus on the needs and not just being haphazard.

We are not a major solution. We are providing an alternative. If a player can't afford shoes, then yes the problem is deeper, but then as fans we also just can't sit on the sidelines waiting for the admin to fix a problem they clearly have no idea how to. We need to be a little active, and people power can be quite powerful. A facebook page wasn't on my mind, but whatever social platform is used would obviously be monitored and closed.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I like the idea.

I am willing to contribute.

What are our realistic expectations though?

What could ZCF hope to raise?

Even if you managed to raise a couple of thousand from everyone a year, what do you then do with it?

I know what it is like raising money for meaningful work in Zim and it takes a good degree of generosity and application. It also requires focus upon achievable goals.

We could offer maybe like a single scholarship to a cricket school for some promising kid. I dunno.

But I don't want to throw a wet blanket over the idea because I don't just want us moaning about the state of things without actually contributing.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It’s probably up to you Zimbo and maybe another couple of guys to get something into place like an actual plan. I’m sure if you got the right people and plan together you’ll get people all over the world not just the forum to contribute.

The question is where to contribute ? For me if I were to put in my own cash it would be for a kid who has the talent but maybe can’t afford to join an academy.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Jemisi wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 pm

But I don't want to throw a wet blanket over the idea because I don't just want us moaning about the state of things without actually contributing.
This. I think this is the point that spurred the idea.

I am happy to work on a proposal with some thoughts and then send it through to whoever is interested and see what we can put together as a group and then take it from there.

Who is the best in terms of contact on the ground?

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s a tough question. If an independent journalist had followed up on the Muzarabani grass roots handout we’d see for ourselves whether ZC were serious and if they could be relied upon to fairly disburse kit. Whilst GB and SB have an academy, I don’t think they do much grass roots stuff, but they’d certainly be the guys to ask how to best get this done.
I’d forgotten about cricket boots. The lads are in dire need. Decent helmets too. I see boys sharing helmets as well. That’s about as hygiene as sharing a box! :lol:
A few keeping gloves as well. Machine balls as well, not necessarily for a bowling machine, but for sidearm use, because they last longer and are kinder on bats. You can get light machine balls, which are great for the younger kids or for throwing fast without risking killin the player whilst getting him used to pace.
You guys really don’t get how dire it is here.
Obviously first prize is being able to give some decent stuff to a deserving kid for that feel good factor, but easier said that done.
Get hold of GB and SB at Howzat Academy as a start, see what they say. ZC will probably be pissed that you cast aspersions on their ability to do it well, but fuck ‘em.
Next option is to try and contact the development coaches directly and see what ideas they have and maybe furnish some stats and/or a profile of a few of their boys that need help.