Zimbabwe Players and Retirements

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zimbabwe Players and Retirements

Post by Googly »

Please update me on this walk out thing. I’ve missed all of that.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm
It's very disappointing to here firstly one player already admitting we aren't favourites to qualify by saying the pressure is on the west Indies and Afghanistan and secondly some of the guys wanting to walk away yet they have been performing so dismally. No matter how we look at it this 8s the strongest side we have had in over a decade. One of the strongest we have ever had. On paper one of the strongest in the tournament. The players are equally responsible for failure this time around. They are even playing at home. The players who would really hurt us walking away would be Raza and Cremer. Those guys play their hearts out.
From my understanding of speaking to some of the players the ones who are considering their options are:

- Williams (No change there)
- Ervine (Possible deal with Hampshire)
- Mire (Back to Australia, not surprising)
- Zhuwao (Already in the process of relocating to the UK, call up came as a surprise)
- Raza (Looking to play in as many other domestic comps as possible although probably still available for Zim)
- Waller (moving to South Africa with the family and therefore will retire from cricket apart from the odd overseas 2nd tier T20 comp).

The reality is that very few of the players will be able to build a career outside international cricket. No idea what Taylor and Jarvis's plans are but I would be more certain of Taylor sticking around.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Waller can definitely pack his bags and go. I understand how Williams would feel that way after what he has gone through. Raza also has a decent strategy. The t20 strategy for me actually works if you are doing well at an international level. Look at Cremer getting picked up for the CPL yesterday..Raza also has the advantage of his origins which sees him getting picked in the sub continent competitions a lot.

As for Mire he has Australian citizenship so that makes sense but it would be silly throwing away an international career right now. These guys get 1000 dollars a game in match fees for ODIs. This year alone that's about 17000 dollars by the end of March for Mire in match fees alone in 3 months. Yes it comes late but it still comes. That's just the reality in Zimbabwe. Will he make around 30000 in 3 months playing club cricket in Australia? This is not including the fee he got for the Afghanistan(even though he left early) and Bangladesh(where he barely played)t20 leagues. He has easily earned 70/80k in the last year or so. Would he be makìng that money in Australia?

BT himself said there is more money in international cricket. Probably if you are playing at a high level. Cremer being the captain then now having found a third t20 league will stick around. If Sri Lanka organize a t20 league don't you think some guy there would not be like let's draft Mire after the show he put on last year? That's the exposure international cricket gives you. Even Burl got a t20 gig in Afghanistan.

Walking away will actually create an environment where we can bring in the likes of Murray so it might be good riddance for a couple of these guys. Most of these guys will fail in other countries anyway.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 pm
Chatara I cannot account for, and to be honest hammy, Waller are no losses due to age.
Hammy isn't a loss even from a performance perspective. Waller is roundly hate here and he averages 20 across formats. Fair enough. But Hammy averages a whopping 25. Surely the marquee batter ought to average more than just 5 more than Waller?

Just ran the numbers. Its 25.17 vs 21.62 against the top 8 sides across all 3 formats. Thats a difference of just 3 odd runs seperating Hammy from the great Malcolm Waller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’d be surprised if Ervine is going to Hampshire. His brother is there and they’re loaded with sharp overseas players.
Malcolm Waller is such a nice guy, people lose some perspective, he’s out there doing his best.
The toughest thing to deal with for the National players is mentally coping with long losing streaks. That has to mess with your head. I think the first thing is to avoid reading any FB or forum pages because that would make you suicidal.
One of the keys to playing well is enjoying your cricket, and I don’t see how that’s possible in our environment. There are such enormous problems on so many fronts.

Losing just three players, let alone the five or six mentioned, would be a major body blow for us.
Forget about Murray, he’s at Uni and not in the mix.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm
I’d be surprised if Ervine is going to Hampshire. His brother is there and they’re loaded with sharp overseas players.
Malcolm Waller is such a nice guy, people lose some perspective, he’s out there doing his best.
The toughest thing to deal with for the National players is mentally coping with long losing streaks. That has to mess with your head. I think the first thing is to avoid reading any FB or forum pages because that would make you suicidal.
One of the keys to playing well is enjoying your cricket, and I don’t see how that’s possible in our environment. There are such enormous problems on so many fronts.

Losing just three players, let alone the five or six mentioned, would be a major body blow for us.
Forget about Murray, he’s at Uni and not in the mix.
You think hhm could drive players to suicide?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’ve long stressed about players leaving Zim it always comes up around World Cup time but after losing KJ & BT at their peak and to realise that the world went on without them I don’t stress anymore.

I don’t think we will see a mass player walkout especially with the new ODI League it gives these guys a chance to tour places like India, England & Australia. For me as a player touring these places would be the pinnacle.

BT, Cremer & Raza are the only guys who Would be hard to replace
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:48 am
I’ve long stressed about players leaving Zim it always comes up around World Cup time but after losing KJ & BT at their peak and to realise that the world went on without them I don’t stress anymore.

I don’t think we will see a mass player walkout especially with the new ODI League it gives these guys a chance to tour places like India, England & Australia. For me as a player touring these places would be the pinnacle.

BT, Cremer & Raza are the only guys who Would be hard to replace
I think Ervine should be added to that list as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Hhm will be flat out on an SA cricket forum demanding the inclusion of Bavuma and Co and the exclusion of The Frikkie Van Der Back Axles because they’re going to get dry humped by the Aussies. They’ve got no answer for Starc and are going to have problems with Lyon.
AB seems to be at a different level, what a unique talent. I was looking forward to the Kohli DeVilliers head to head, that kind of match up comes around every blue moon, but it didn’t happen. These two guys are just something else to watch when they’re in good form. Then you’ve got Smith who defies the coaching manual whom they need an answer for or he’s going to be a real thorn in their side.
It’s just fascinating cricket and I’m glued.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

I don't comment on this forum that often, but read it every day. It's such a nicer place without hhm/pariah/ bavuma etc.. long may it continue...