Zimbabwe Players and Retirements

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe Players and Retirements

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Robbo wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm
I don't comment on this forum that often, but read it every day. It's such a nicer place without hhm/pariah/ bavuma etc.. long may it continue...
The guy is never gone more than 6 months.

I suspect he will be back as his 4th incarnation right after the WCQ, if ZIM fails to qualify, gloating that ZIM only lost because Vusi and Elton and Prosper were left out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Googly wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm
Malcolm Waller is such a nice guy, people lose some perspective, he’s out there doing his best.
+1

I think whenever we feel the urge to express our frustration with some of the players, we should take a second, look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we would like to read something like that about ourselves. After all we're all humans. And in the case of Waller, yes, he hasn't looked like he belongs at that level more often than not, but I've never had the slightest feeling that he doesn't care, that he doesn't put in the work etc.

Thinking about it this might also explain his longevity in the team and sometimes perplexing popularity with the coaches/selectors. He is certainly not one of the guys who sit sulking on the couch with their feet up when dropped.

Googly

Post by Googly »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... st-big-job

I’ve just seen this. Sounds inspiring but ominous if it doesn’t have a story book ending.
Whilst I get the do or die this is it attitude, because that’s how I feel about this as well, the reality is that our immediate short term future is not in jeopardy. We have money coming in and we’re assured of games.
I heard from one of the RS boys in this year’s squad that they had been told the tour would be cancelled if we didn’t qualify. Again just talk, but I’m not sure why they would do that. If there’s any truth in that it would mean we’d be entering the cricketing doldrums once again, but at a new low from which we’re not ever pulling ourselves out of. Tuesday is a big day. C’mon boys

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

foreignfield wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 am
Googly wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm
Malcolm Waller is such a nice guy, people lose some perspective, he’s out there doing his best.
+1

I think whenever we feel the urge to express our frustration with some of the players, we should take a second, look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we would like to read something like that about ourselves. After all we're all humans. And in the case of Waller, yes, he hasn't looked like he belongs at that level more often than not, but I've never had the slightest feeling that he doesn't care, that he doesn't put in the work etc.

Thinking about it this might also explain his longevity in the team and sometimes perplexing popularity with the coaches/selectors. He is certainly not one of the guys who sit sulking on the couch with their feet up when dropped.
Couldn’t agree more I know for example Waller sent Sloan some of his own team kit out of his own time and heart. Also at the end of the day international cricket is a brutal scene and no one can stay forever , as much as nice guy someone might be it can’t secure your spot . The future of zim cricket rests on us qualifying and if the difference is a absolute wanker of a bloke contributing to us winning or a nice guy who everyone’s loves helping us not qualify I think we all know what the correct decision is. Great point though and nice to see some good humanity in the forum .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

If we fail to qualify, it will be diabolical. We are literally playing for our future.

If we don't get to England in 2019, we could see the below repercussions.

Players will retire prematurely:
. By the sounds of it from what zimfan1 has said, a lot of players are already looking beyond Zimbabwe Cricket for a feather bed if and when we don't qualify. Raza has even said that the World Cup would be a lovely swan song for a lot of them. If we don't qualify, we could see these retirements much much earlier.

Funding:
. The much needed WC money which is allocated to us should be used for the betterment of the game. We're already broke as it stands, and the money we do use is generally money from the ICC and money from World Cups to keep us afloat. We've already neglected club cricket and school cricket to the point of no return. Can you imagine the effects of even less funding for the national side? Club cricket (or what ever is left of it) will completely cease, the FC players will quit and look elsewhere and instigated ideas such as the Rising Stars and under 19's away tours will finish. Without this funding we will literally not be able to function.

Sponsorship:
. Sponsorship will completely dry up and again, we will have very little to work with.

All in all, if we don't qualify, we are fucked, and everybody knows it; from the players and coaches throuhg to us lot here on the forum. Even cricinfo has realised that this is our last chance at sustainability.

no pressure lads..

Googly

Post by Googly »

What burns me so bad is there are no repercussions for the people, and I use that term loosely, that have put us in this position. They get away Scott free. Money will still come in, obviously not as much, but still enough for them to live like Lords. They are despicable.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:39 pm
What burns me so bad is there are no repercussions for the people, and I use that term loosely, that have put us in this position. They get away Scott free. Money will still come in, obviously not as much, but still enough for them to live like Lords. They are despicable.
Not if we don't have a team they won't.

Can't we name and shame? I wanna know who the scroungers are and who the do'ers are!

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’m not sure shame is a recognisable emotion in this neck of the woods. In Japan when you bring shame upon yourself you fall on your sword, here you take another case of Black Label and just fall down, go to church on Sunday and Alooter Continua on Monday morning.
Shameless is what we’re talking about. That they’ve got nailed.