How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

First off, I'm a huge Afghan fan. Yes, I've been criticizing them on other forums, but thats only because many BD fans think the Afghans would kick our butts.

I also am aware that there is still a mathematical chance of them qualifying still (supposedly), and while this tournament probably has no favorites, I really don't think AFG have even a ice cubes chance in Dubai of qualifying.

Of course if I'm wrong, I can still claim it to be a win, cuz I was rooting for the Afghans all the time... :D

But Idk how to do a poll, so I'll just put the options here.

How happy are you that AFG have been knocked out?

a) Stoked as fuck

b) satisfied

c) not happy (for whatever reason)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Post by jward »

A. I am very pleased because (if) they are out, because:

1) They (as a team, a generalization) play the game in an unpleasant spirit, with some extreme behaviour, especially that nasty little Shahzad, whose sledging and triumphalism are perhaps even beyond the David Warner level. (Rashid Khan does seem one of their nicer players, though, from what I have seen and heard of him.)

2) It improves Zimbabwe's chances. At the start of the tournament I thought Afghanistan would be most likely to reach the World Cup along with West Indies, based on their successes against Zimbabwe for several years now, but they haven't shown that form or confidence at all this trip. Why not? Has the sudden loss of their captain upset the team so greatly, or is there any other reason? Anybody any suggestions?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Stoked as fuck.

Their entire attitude stank from the minute Mohammed Shazad was taking the piss out of those dancers at the airport. Over confident, lacking in class and totally out played. Good riddance.

Their fans piss me off more than the players though.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It’s made me nervous.
Now it’s vital we beat Hong Kong and Scotland as we are effectively starting from scratch as these are the two teams who aren’t qualifying and the points won’t count.
Also Afghanistan are more likely to upset Ireland and such and help pave the way for us
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I seriously think we'll qualify now.

That victory would provided more than just a few points for us; we beat a side who have had the wood over us for a good three years now, in a pressure situation. We came to the party, big time! and proved why we are a god damn full member nation! Zimbabwe and the West Indies to go to England

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:35 pm
Stoked as fuck.

Their entire attitude stank from the minute Mohammed Shazad was taking the piss out of those dancers at the airport. Over confident, lacking in class and totally out played. Good riddance.

Their fans piss me off more than the players though.
Shazad wasn’t just having a bit of fun with the dancers. You know where he’s from grown men aren’t supposed to dance lol. Even in Bangladesh random ass people will call a grown man indecent for dancing or wearing shorts in public . I can only imagine what Afghanistan must be like.

Shazad is a prick tho. I remember when AFG humiliated BD at the 2014 Asia cup and even BD fans were afraid of them at the WT 3 weeks later. Shazad was sledging Tamim (himself a seasoned sledged) so bad Tamim had to ask Nigel Long to step in. I enjoyed it though burn of course it’s easy to do when you blast em out for 70 odd and chace it down with half the inning an to spare.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I guess as a fan of an arrogant team like Bangladesh, I appreciate the cockiness the Afghans and Irish bring to the game. By comparison Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka are probably the two most polite sides in cricket.

It’s why Ray Price was such a lovable character.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 pm
It’s why Ray Price was such a lovable character.
Just his name brings back good old memories. I was in SA in 2009/10 when we toured and played three one day internationals. Price was just class in that series, and gave nothing away. The South Africans really struggled. He got at least 6 wickets in that series and had an economy of 3.9 i think.

Sorry, don't mind me..

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Just his name brings back good old memories. I was in SA in 2009/10 when we toured and played three one day internationals. Price was just class in that series, and gave nothing away. The South Africans really struggled. He got at least 6 wickets in that series and had an economy of 3.9 i think.

Sorry, don't mind me..
Price was solid, but his fighting spirit and attitude was more valuable IMO than x number of wickets he took - which even a Williams or Raza or Utseya could pull for a series. He was the one guy you could count on to bring that X factor that no opposition analyst can graph with numbers or a computer or set a discrete plan for. Ganguly, I believe was similar.

The reason why players like Shakib, Tamim, and Mushfiq are so important for BD is more in their intangible value rather than strictly on the numbers. They *only* average 40, 40, and 35 respectively which are good by BD standards, but in the context of Test cricket are relatively mediocre numbers to be frank. Just for perspective Asad Shafiq averages around 43 or so...would anyone consider him a world class batsman or an elite player? However, they each bring a mental bonus that the team sorely needs. Shakib is the competitor who can't stand an idle performance. Mushfiq has a steely grit particularly overseas (he's a bit of a bunny at home). And Tamim has a seasoned consistency that only gradually came from his experience.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 pm
I seriously think we'll qualify now.

That victory would provided more than just a few points for us; we beat a side who have had the wood over us for a good three years now, in a pressure situation. We came to the party, big time! and proved why we are a god damn full member nation! Zimbabwe and the West Indies to go to England
We just got there whereas HONG KONG and Scotland THUMPED them.

Its actually really bad for us if the 'ghans dont get through.

The deeper I think the more I see how this HK victory has just fucked us.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*