How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Post by eugene »

Great to see Afghanistan out. Everytime we play Afghanistan my Zimbabwe Cricket News facebook page receives a large number of foul-mouthed abusive messages from Afghanistan fans. The same with Bangladesh also. What is it with subcontinent types behaving like animals on facebook?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:47 am

The deeper I think the more I see how this HK victory has just fucked us.
Only if HK or Scotland end up beating ZIM. Chances of both beating ZIM are only 10%, chances of one or the other about 30% in my estimation. None of these teams is consistent enough to run the table and go through a tournament undefeated. The gap between West Indies and Scotland is quite small. And the HKs, and UAEs, and Dutch are just a notch below them and can beat any of those teams, on their day.

But I pretty much knew that this tournament was going to be a nail-biter until the the final Super 6 match is finished and all the dust settles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:48 am
What is it with subcontinent types behaving like animals on facebook?
Have you ever visited a subcontinent country? I've been to Bangladesh almost a dozen times in my life. These countries are all essentially the same and proof is in how many from xyz country floods social media with retarded posts of bigotry during cricket matches. The people are exceedingly racist to anyone who isn't white. Women are treated as slightly more than an unfortunate requisite for breeding. Trash is everywhere, smog pollutes the air in every single city, poor people are literally treated as slaves. Anyone with an ounce of authority makes more money in bribes than in actual salary. Everyone is cheating whoever they can just to get that extra rupee. Its a total mess.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Advantage Zimbabwe, Ireland & Windies from Spin threats.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 am
eugene wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:48 am
What is it with subcontinent types behaving like animals on facebook?
Have you ever visited a subcontinent country? I've been to Bangladesh almost a dozen times in my life. These countries are all essentially the same and proof is in how many from xyz country floods social media with retarded posts of bigotry during cricket matches. The people are exceedingly racist to anyone who isn't white. Women are treated as slightly more than an unfortunate requisite for breeding. Trash is everywhere, smog pollutes the air in every single city, poor people are literally treated as slaves. Anyone with an ounce of authority makes more money in bribes than in actual salary. Everyone is cheating whoever they can just to get that extra rupee. Its a total mess.
Whenever I watch hockey or cricket matches involving any subcontinent nations the comments are just diabolical. Basically every video on youtube of an Indian or Pakistan cricketer is littered with India v Pakistan crap, people wanting to rape each others women, etc. I know many Indians in the USA and eat at many Indian restaurants and never have any problems with people here. I guess the internet brings out the worst characters?

I would however love to visit India one day, I am particularly obsessed with the Indian rail network.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Agreed fucking stoked. As long as we don't have a brainsnap against hong kong .

Really happy with the boys so far. Important we keep pushing . if we could somehow win all group games, we only have to beat Ireland/windies once and we should be OK.

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

As in if we win all group games we only have to beat the loser of windies v Ireland in the super sixes. Then we're in 100% I'd say

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

It really is a 50/50 For me. Yes I am happy because the heat will leave Zimbabwe for a bit. Imagine that was us people would have been calling for us to lose full membership. Afghanistan have it easy. Every time we lose to a smaller nation cricket wise it's a train smash and people start questioning our ability. This is a big wake up call to them. International cricket at test nation level is brutal. For so long they were the best of the rest now they are current the worst team amongst the best. It's not easy.

We get hammered every year. Teams like India basically send their C team to play us. It's painful if you really think about it. All we want to do is compete. We have been through a lot. From Hayden destroying us with 380, getting bowled out for 34 and the boxing day test last year. Then these guys come around have a few good years and suddenly people think Rashid Khan and co are world beaters. It's a long journey. Wasn't Ray Price ranked number one at some point? Andy Flower too?

Anyway my point is that Afghanistan have a long way to go before they can really consider themselves a quality team. Yes we go through a lot but we have beaten 9 out of the 11 test teams in the last 5 years in one format or the other yet we are still minnows. Only S.A. and England who we don't play at all are not on that list. Let them achieve that or Bangladesh level success first then they can positively say they are beyond us. This has brought them back to reality. This whole meteoric rise nonsense stops now. They have to earn their place over time like everybody else.

From a tournament perspective which is the most important. It's hard to tell. Now that the Netherlands have also basically been shown the door barring a miracle It might not matter whether Afghanistan is there or not. If things go as expected it's a shootout between us and Ireland. Ireland have the advantage now because in the super 6 stage they will have 1 tough game whilst we will have 2. The only way it balances out is if we beat Scotland and Hong Kong. Then the pressure will be on Ireland as we will have to win 2 games whilst they will have to win all 3.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:06 am

Whenever I watch hockey or cricket matches involving any subcontinent nations the comments are just diabolical. Basically every video on youtube of an Indian or Pakistan cricketer is littered with India v Pakistan crap, people wanting to rape each others women, etc. I know many Indians in the USA and eat at many Indian restaurants and never have any problems with people here. I guess the internet brings out the worst characters?

I would however love to visit India one day, I am particularly obsessed with the Indian rail network.
By and large people in the USA are far more civilized. This is actually poorly correlated with education, IMO. You can be well educated and still be an idiot bigot, and you can be a humble shoe shiner and still be a wise open-minded person.

America does a very good job of welcoming immigrants - Trump and his populist rhetoric notwithstanding. In the United States, most immigrant groups assimilate totally within a generation. Pakistanis, Afghans, and Bangladeshis being predominantly muslim don't assimilate in the same proportion, but they generally attain a hybrid state in which they blend American values/patriotism with their traditional mores.

By contrast Europe from what I have heard is far less tolerant and hence we a much bigger problem there when it comes to assimilating minority and immigrant groups. Much bigger problem relative to the US.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya but of their three games in the next round they should do the two comparatively easily. If we keep it together for the next two games it’s destined to come down to a shoot out between Ireland and us. We could of course beat WI!