How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Post by foreignfield »

Ming wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:49 am
Why is the option for a Syrian (or middle eastern) refugee ONLY Europe in the absence of North AMERICA?

Why not other middle eastern countries?
Actually, of an estimated 5.5 to 6 million Syrian refugees, the vast majority are in rhe middle east/ Turkey:

Turkey – 3 million Syrian refugees are currently in Turkey.
Lebanon – 1 million Syrian refugees are currently in Lebanon.
Jordan – 660,000 Syrian refugees are currently in Jordan.
Iraq – 242,000 Syrian refugees are currently in Iraq.
Egypt – 122,000 Syrian refugees are currently in Egypt.
The notable absence is that of the richest countries in the region, especially Saudi Arabia who are involved knee-deep in the Syrian civil war, but also the UAE etc. They are also not very keen to do anything about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen in which they play an even more active and ugly role.

But Zimdoggy is right in a way, as Japan for example is never on the radar when it comes to taking in refugees of any kind.

To get back to cricket: increasing immigration from Pak & Afghanistan is definitely raising the standard and numbers of cricketers in continental Europe. It's a shame the Syrians never took up the sport, or else Zim would soon be playing Austria or Germany for a place at the next WC ;)

Googly

Post by Googly »

And Italy.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 am
Very happy to see Afghans knocked out. They deserve that as they were too overconfident. Moreover they got the test status too early. Zimbabwe should not depend on associates for qualifying WC and I m sure they will easily beat the teams in super6. @Eugene, you are most welcome to Incredible India!
I will have to visit both you and Crimson should I ever make it to India!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 am

There’s some truth to what you are saying but it’s realky lose/lose.
Afghanistan for example, troops are still present in almost a peacekeeping fashion.
I have read that the reason they are there is to stop th taliban taking hold because when they do, the refugees crisis out of Afghanistan will be unreal.
Lol, its all true, bro.

At any rate, Afghanistan is also the geographic nexus of China, Russia, and Iran. It is of strategic importance.
In Iraq, Saddam was pursuing weapons of war and was a security threat, but even if he wasn’t, he was acting like a hard dictator and hurting his own people at will. Again it’s lose/lose.

As much as I hated the naive power vacuum created in Syria (thanks Democrats) it was also lose/lose.
You're correct in that was always a L-L situation. But now its like a massive innings and 300 run loss. Why spend trillions of dollars of taxpayer money (remember Republicans hate paying taxes) and only increase the size of the loss?

During Saddam's time the region wasn't as crazy as it is today. Saddam loyalists weren't mowing down pedestrians in Nice, or Frankfurt, or shooting up Paris, or blowing up Brussels and Manchester. Europeans should be quite annoyed with Bush and Blair if they aren't already.
Why do these middle eastern countries fill with fundies as soon as there is an opportunity?
Who else is attracted to war, chaos, and foreign troops? Not normal people. Most doctors or engineers or academics, heck even uneducated laborers would feel when they see tanks and planes coming. Only a fundie thinks its a good idea to stick around and see what happens. Thats the smart answer.

But one could also wonder why Europe fills with Nazis as soon as there are minorities?
This is what kills me.
Why is the option for a Syrian (or middle eastern) refugee ONLY Europe in the absence of North AMERICA?

Why not other middle eastern countries? Why not Asia?
Why is the white western countries the default?
Muslims seem to hate/have issues with these places yet it’s the usual destination when they can make it happen.

There is no question that Muslims by and large are so adamant on the wonders of Islam. Then why do they not passionately pursue migration and asylum in largely Muslim countries?

I find it so weird.
Another way to look at it is that the refugee crises was the EXACT reason why every Muslim country pleaded with Bush and Blair not to start another way in Iraq. That advise fell on deaf ears and Europe now finds itself in a right mess with these refugees. It really is unfair for the Germans and the Italians to have to deal with a mess created by UK and US.

Apart from that Germany is 2000 miles from Syria, but Japan is 6000 miles aways. Also the East Asians don't have a dog in this fight, so the question of why they aren't taking refugees is unwarranted.

In the first millenia millions of Jews came to Europe, not because Europe was enlightened (not till the 1500s at least) nor because it was friendly to the Jews (Holocaust, pogroms, Spanish Reconquista), but because if was NEARBY.

But the most pressing reason is purely economic. There is no Muslim country with the resources to take in refugees. And as Googly has pointed out, Muslim countries already house the most refugees around the world.

Pakistan has millions of Afghans. Bangladesh has over 1 million Rohingya Muslim refugees from Myanmar. These are already overpopulated and economically struggling nations.

Yes the UAE is rich. But guess what, 80% of the UAE's population are already foreigners. Similar with Qatar, Bahrain, Oman. Saudia Arabia is often cited, but they aren't actually rich. They may have been in the 1990s, but the world's oil dependence has changed and thats all the Saudis have. They have only just begun diversifying their economy under Mohammad bin Salman, but that will take time and the Emiratis and Qataris have already beaten them to that game. That region may already be saturated for that kind of diversification.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene

Post by eugene »

Perhaps we should start a politics thread in the Off-topic forum?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Sounds like a good idea to me. Would it be just on this topic or a general "world news and events" type?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think I took this thread off topic, but how did a thread on AFG getting knocked out become about politics, lmao.

What a segue.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:29 pm
eugene wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Sounds like a good idea to me. Would it be just on this topic or a general "world news and events" type?
Maybe a general one?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

This thread is so off topic

I'm happy they're not going to the WC but I feel it would have been better if they made the Super Sixes so they could beat Ireland or Windies for us
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:33 pm
This thread is so off topic

I'm happy they're not going to the WC but I feel it would have been better if they made the Super Sixes so they could beat Ireland or Windies for us
They're in the mixer now