How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: How happy are you that Afghanistan has been sent packing their bags?

Post by eugene »

samedwards wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Can we stop with the conspiracy theories?
You obviously missed the ibw call against Scotland that sent the Windies through.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

eugene wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm
samedwards wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Can we stop with the conspiracy theories?
You obviously missed the ibw call against Scotland that sent the Windies through.
Hanlon's razor

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

samedwards wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:39 pm
Hanlon's razor
The explanation for the malice, in this instance, is not explained with stupidity though, so this theory in itself is ironic. There's factual agreement that there was a no ball, and the lbw was arguably the worst decision I've ever seen on a cricket pitch.

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:47 pm
samedwards wrote:
Hanlon's razor
The explanation for the malice, in this instance, is not explained with stupidity though, so this theory in itself is ironic. There's factual agreement that there was a no ball, and the lbw was arguably the worst decision I've ever seen on a cricket pitch.
It was a stupid decision, but I doubt the ICC pressured the umpire into giving those decisions. The umpires made mistakes. You can blame the ICC for not having DRS and rain days though.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

samedwards wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:59 pm
sloandog wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:47 pm
samedwards wrote:
Hanlon's razor
It was a stupid decision, but I doubt the ICC pressured the umpire into giving those decisions. The umpires made mistakes. You can blame the ICC for not having DRS and rain days though.
I'll drink to that!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

samedwards wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Yeah the WICB is not one of the 3 boards that have the kind of muscle needed to bride or threaten umpires. The ICC also doesn't make enough money off the WI team to issue directives to that effect. If they did, they'd have made sure WI beat Afghanistan and breezed through to the finals with no chance of elimination. Similarly, if the ICC wanted to engineer Afghanistan's qualification, they wouldn't have had AFG qualify twice, both times on a miracle (Nepal win, and UAE win). What are the odds of both of those happening? 100 to 1 would be my guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

anon4567

Post by anon4567 »

The main blame should go to BCCI, the board most vocal against the expansion of the game in order to protect their autonomy and dominance, and ICC for always bowing down to their demands.

In the past most of the lesser associate members were fully consistent of expats from Australia, England, SA, subcontinent, etc. so I couldn't have cared less about their participation. But now we see more players from non-cricket playing background increasingly taking up the sport. Look at the PNG and Nepal teams for instance, and how cricket is gathering a strong following in those countries. A 10 team world cup is the equivalent of showing these teams the finger.

A 10 Team World Cup makes no sense, what is the point of having the 8-team Champions Trophy then? Why not make the World Cup a Big-3 tri-series while they are at it (and swim in $$$$). If there was greater unity between teams outside of the Big-3.

If Rugby can have a 20 Team World Cup, why can't cricket? There is similar disparity between skills and fanbase between World's #1 team (NZ) and World's number 10 (Japan/ Fiji), and #19 and #20 teams are equivalent to the Canadas and Kenyas of cricket..

Our current Round Robin system currently exists only to ensure that India plays at the very least the Semi Finals and to nullify the effect to an upset. I am truly disgusted. If my team (Bangladesh) wasn't so outlandishly bad at any other international sport I would have boycotted cricket a long time back.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Well this thread looks stupid now doesn't it
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:13 am
Well this thread looks stupid now doesn't it
I did acknowledge in the OP the tiny chance they had. I guesstimated they had a 1 in 400 chance to qualify with 7-8 results that they needed after they had lost to Hong Kong. But there were probably 3 or 4 different but equivalent results that would have got them there. So overall at that stage they probably a 1 in 100 shot. Not like getting hit by lightening, but still pretty remote.

I've been an Afghan fan ever since their WCL Division 5 journey back in 2008-09. But it would have been useful for them to have a setback for once. Their bowling will keep them in a few games at the WC and I suspect every team in the tournament will win at least 1 game, but the Afghans really need to learn how to hold a bat in the next 15 months otherwise their next WC journey will be as fruitless as their first one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)