Why is Kyle Jarvis so dominant with the red ball but struggles with the white ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Why is Kyle Jarvis so dominant with the red ball but struggles with the white ?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I want to know
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMFAN

Re: Why is Kyle Jarvis so dominant with the red ball but struggles with the white ?

Post by ZIMFAN »

I wonder if it is that now he has lost his speed he relied on seam and swing, which the red ball does more easily. I know he didn't play white ball cricket with Lancashire, so maybe did not develop slower balls, cutters etc.?

TapsC

Re: Why is Kyle Jarvis so dominant with the red ball but struggles with the white ?

Post by TapsC »

I think in modern cricket when guys are looking to go after bowlers of his pace in the short format he needs to develop more variations. Something you don't have to worry about as much in the longer format. It's something that can be fixed unlike the other way round. If a guy just doesn't get enough movement and swing he will never be a lethal test bowler but you can learn variations

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm
I wonder if it is that now he has lost his speed he relied on seam and swing, which the red ball does more easily. I know he didn't play white ball cricket with Lancashire, so maybe did not develop slower balls, cutters etc.?
He wasn’t crash hot in his first Zimbabwe stint and Lancashire stayed clear. Yet he dominated red ball there too.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 pm
I think in modern cricket when guys are looking to go after bowlers of his pace in the short format he needs to develop more variations. Something you don't have to worry about as much in the longer format. It's something that can be fixed unlike the other way round. If a guy just doesn't get enough movement and swing he will never be a lethal test bowler but you can learn variations
Pace variations. Possible explanation ? Although you’d think he would adapt. Especially in t20s

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Since his return, Jarvis has averaged 29 with the ball in ODIs, the same as Heath Streak's career average, and much better than Panyangara's career average of 46!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

eugene wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 pm
Since his return, Jarvis has averaged 29 with the ball in ODIs, the same as Heath Streak's career average, and much better than Panyangara's career average of 46!
He hasn't done that bad but in tests he did look much more dangerous. We also haven't faced any quality guys yet besides the proteas.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 pm
This !!!

One must remember he's bowled in Bangladesh and Sharjah before coming back to Bulawayo not exactly seamers paradise.

He is also fighting an ankle injury

It's not secret he isn't the best ODI bowler as he more of a classical seamer who relies on moving the ball around whilst modern day limited overs pitches don't offer much movement. But if there is any movement around he will exploit it 100% just like in the last ODI in BD he had Tamin and co looking stupid.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement