[MATCH THREAD] ZIM v SCO CWCQ Game 20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [MATCH THREAD] ZIM v SCO CWCQ Game 20

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:20 pm
Provisional Super6 table

WI 4 point
Scot 3 points
Zim 3 points
Ireland 2
UAE 0
Afg 0

Ireland are boosting their NRR big time today. We're slightly behind the Scots on NRR.
I feel that afg will take the Windies. It’s my gut.

Couple that with the slightest chance of a Dutch loss and this is the most interesting tournament in the history of sport
Out of curiosity is it mathematically even possible for Afghanistan to progress?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Have we not bowled out the opposition in every game? That must be some kind of record streak for us. Clearly our batsmen are failing here.

I'm honestly going with an 8-3 from here onwards. Williams is slowly turning into a bowler who can bat. Let's use him that way and bring in PJ.

Chisoro played a massive role but in Harare it will favour fast bowlers so I would drop him for PJ. The sad truth is that we cant rely on 7 guys to get us a decent total. We just know we will collapse.

So far Ervine Raza Hami Taylor and Cephas have done their job at some point in the tournament. I'm hoping Williams and Mire can inspire us in the next week or so but bring in PJ trust me

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Flakeman wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm
Anyway....We finish top of the Group and I’m unsure why someone said we are beneath Scotland.
I don't know, my mind is shot. Of course we've won the group. But I thought Scotland beat Afg by a bigger margin than we did and thus carry foward a better NRR .. can't work itout now.

Anyway, according to the ICC calendar we probably play Ireland next, then the Windies ... not all matches are finished, though.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

PSR wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm
Ireland just massively boosted their NRR. I wonder how crucial that will be. Very if there are washouts in the S6s.

It all hinges on Afghanistan. They have known for days that their only shot is to win all 3 games. This tie means AFG are through if they win all 3 games.

super 6 stage is only going to be more heart stopping.
NRR won't matter now..We have to beat them at all costs
If we hammer UAE (we probably won't, knowing us some part-time taxi driver - to steal a ZIMDOGGY phrase - will snag a 5-fer) we could claw back some of that NRR.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:30 pm
sloandog wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm
Yea, the Zimbabwe Ireland game is going to be particularly spicy, and that's without the added factor of the rivalry.
Our bowlers have once again salvaged something from the jaws of defeat, it's high time our damn batters show up and show some fight! Sick to death of seeing our top order fail with that all too famous collapse.
Mazakadza, Mire, Taylor and Raza need to make sure they fire against the Irish.

Some great fight shown there by Scotland though, wasn't there. They definetly watched braveheart at the tea break
Based on form, we have no hope against Ireland. We've limped along in this tournament, as you say the bowlers have provided respectability after the batsmen have done bugger-all.

I just hope that it all clicks against Ireland, we need a bit of luck.
Zimbabwe are a team that lower themselves when playing junk teams but rise to heights often when playing quality teams. On form you’d think the Irish will kick us but it’ll be a close one you watch.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm
sloandog wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm
Yea, the Zimbabwe Ireland game is going to be particularly spicy, and that's without the added factor of the rivalry.
Our bowlers have once again salvaged something from the jaws of defeat, it's high time our damn batters show up and show some fight! Sick to death of seeing our top order fail with that all too famous collapse.
Mazakadza, Mire, Taylor and Raza need to make sure they fire against the Irish.

Some great fight shown there by Scotland though, wasn't there. They definetly watched braveheart at the tea break
Based on form, we have no hope against Ireland. We've limped along in this tournament, as you say the bowlers have provided respectability after the batsmen have done bugger-all.

Zimbabwe are a team that lower themselves when playing junk teams but rise to heights often when playing quality teams. On form you’d think the Irish will kick us but it’ll be a close one you watch.
I agree. I also think Zim do better when games are televised (but will lose to Uganda when it's not).

I rate our chances better against WI than Ireland.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The more I think about this, it’s not as bad as I thought given Irish have boosted their NRR. They’ll still be vulnerable to a loss elsewhere.

All this tie has really done is add another player into the mix, the Scots.

Hopefully UAE rose to the Occassion. They are capable with their batting

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm

I agree. I also think Zim do better when games are televised (but will lose to Uganda when it's not).

I rate our chances better against WI than Ireland.
I agree that people are writing us off against the windies but they haven’t looked as good as you’d have thought.
If we get the ageing Gayle out early and should Cephas kick on we are a good chance. They are all pace. We can handle that

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm
The more I think about this, it’s not as bad as I thought given Irish have boosted their NRR. They’ll still be vulnerable to a loss elsewhere.

All this tie has really done is add another player into the mix, the Scots.

Hopefully UAE rose to the Occassion. They are capable with their batting
I think you're right. As long as the teams that should beat Scotland (Ireland and WI), do actually beat them - I don't think this tie negatively affects us.

It only affects us if it becomes a shoot out between us and Scotland, because we'll be the only teams on an odd number of points.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Beat Ireland and UAE and we are in, if we can't beat those two we don't deserve to qualify.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes