[Match Thread: Ireland v Zimbabwe HSC]

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [Match Thread: Ireland v Zimbabwe HSC]

Post by Googly »

The wicket was tough, but that was about a 240 pitch.
CZ is some striker of the ball. He could easily have made some runs there. He was actually leaving the ball well, they were taking the pace off the ball and he picked the wrong shot to go after, a bit short and slow, basically his patience ran out. If he could figure some shot selection out he would do well. I was wondering if he shouldn’t bat lower down the order. Solly is looking a bit shaky. That one he walked past was totally unnecessary, it looked like he was trying to defend it anyway. Hammy got on his front foot before the ball was bowled, again a soft dismissal. He, CZ and Solly don’t rotate strike very well. I don’t think BT was actually out, I reckon that was going down leg, but that reverse continues to haunt him. Williams was looking a bit out of touch, but ok, really soft dismissal though. Craig’s run out was another marginal call, try diving son! Raza’s day for sure. I love this guy, so good for Zim cricket. His preferred area is over extra and their sweeper was too square. Chisoro batted superbly, he looks like he needs to bat one place up.
Most of our batters choked a bit, but fortunately the Irish really bottled it and we bowled and fielded well.
That was a damned fine day! I went from hating life at lunch to jumping around like a fuxking idiot in the afternoon. Pull ‘Babwe!!!!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Zhuwao didn't look as bad as people described him. He was actually a bit conservative from what I was expecting. To show how dangerous he is the Irish actually had a specific game plan just for him. That six on to the roof was unbelievable. Even the first six that he hit. It was effortless. Surely he will get a t20 gig an Afghanistan at least after this. He just needed exposure. Shame on the guys for not selecting him before.

Tendai Chisoro was my man of the match yesterday. He played a vital role. Held up an end. Took early wickets. He now averages 23 will with the bowl. Very handy. Looked more solid than Cremer with the bat too

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yeah one televised game and someone could take a punt on CZ for a T20 gig. He absolutely smashes it and has a great eye.
I thought he was a compulsive puller, which he isn’t. He just wants it in his half, so the Irish were just back of a length with some change ups. He’s enough of a threat that you have to have a game plan for him and I’m sure the Windies will have a similar plan. He’s not picking the slower ball in time, he’s picking it, but not quickly enough. That ball he went out to he should have just gone thru with it but gone across it a bit more to keep power on the shot. He’s absolutely better than I thought. That first six was beautiful.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And they’ll probably start with a long on. Solly seems to throttle back when he’s opening with him. I understand the logic of that but it’s not really his game. He needs to just play how he usually does. He seems to struggle with spin, which is why he resorts to sweeps so soon. The front 5 have so much potential, just need to fire.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem is having two power players up front who aren’t too sharp at rotating. As soon as there’s a dearth in boundaries they feel pressure to play some big shots instead of waiting for a ball they can hit. Yesterday having CZ at the back end would have been more useful than him opening. I believe he’s decent against the spinners, so it’s certainly an option.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:01 am
The problem is having two power players up front who aren’t too sharp at rotating. As soon as there’s a dearth in boundaries they feel pressure to play some big shots instead of waiting for a ball they can hit. Yesterday having CZ at the back end would have been more useful than him opening. I believe he’s decent against the spinners, so it’s certainly an option.
Maybe swap Raza and Zhuwao in the order for the WI game?

But CZ does have a tendency to get the ball rolling. If he makes a quick fire 20 he's arguably done his job.

Actually the more I think about it, I don't think you want CZ doing a rescue job at 5/80. Someone like Raza has a better temperament for that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

No Raza must stay where he is. I was just thinking maybe the order should stay the same except Cephas come in about 6-8 depending on the situation. Not sold on the idea, just think he’d make more runs lower down.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Pleasantly surprised that you guys are actually giving Cephas some credit for his batting. I thought people were writing him off as no more than a slogger. A bully as it were. Perhaps with the right short selection he could do major damage.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I'm just uneasy with Zhuwao facing Roach. Don't think he will last long against him. He is a very smart bowler.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He is indeed. The power game is a great asset, but he good guys will work out your poor areas in seconds, you need to be able to wait for the bad delivery and keep the scoreboard ticking. They will have a plan for him, I’m sure he’s aware, but how he deals with it remains to be seen. He’s with the big boys now. Just hope he gets it right, he’s great to watch.