What is the equation now?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: What is the equation now?

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 am

I'm not a soccer fan so I'm just guessing a bit here. But in FIFA you have the true heavyweights like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, and England. Thats FIFA's equivalent of the Big 3, only they have a Big 7. Midweights like Portugal, USA, Netherlands, randon Latin and European nations are like SA, PAK, NZ, SL in cricket. Again FIFA probably has 12-20 of these midweights. The you have teams that can be decent on their day (equivalent of WI, BD) like Sweden, Egypt, Australia, Poland, Czech Republic and many others.
Some of the Football WCs have seen games like Brazil vs North Korea, France vs Honduras, Italy vs New Zealand etc, and you even get the midweight and lightweight matches as you call it. Matches like these have been so one sided or utterly boring, they make for some terrible watching. I guess the thing going for football is that it ends in 90 minutes, cricket lasts a whole day. 90 minutes of boring is more tolerable than a whole day.

In saying that, the Football WC already has some dross and poor matches, yet FIFA wants to expand it, and they want to expand it to regions that have teams you would class as low midweight to light weight.

There are many other factors to football such as their being strong football leagues across the globe and more international matches between all the team and not just between the big boys. The list can go on here, so it's best not to compare the sports as a whole, but just the actual event.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Cricket needs money. That's where the problem is. The only way to grow the game is giving more money to smaller teams and making sure they manage it correctly. You neeed to subsidize the smaller countries for a very long time. I realized we weren't that bad when I saw everybody record after 100 tests. It takes decades to mature as a cricket nation.

T20 is the only way to expand it. Test cricket just isn't a financially viable option. How many countries actually make money off a test series? I don't see it lasting another 30 or so years. Even England are pushing for r day tests. That's the beginning of the end

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

UAE will be out by the time we face them so I don't think they will try so hard to beat us. I honestly think we are through unless something catastrophic happens. We had always budgeted for one loss.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 am
UAE will be out by the time we face them so I don't think they will try so hard to beat us. I honestly think we are through unless something catastrophic happens. We had always budgeted for one loss.
Yeah, it would have to be a really bad capitulation (although they did run us close in a World T20 game a few years ago)... I think rain is a bigger worry though, as it could deprive us the chance of taking maximum points from that game.

Hopefully we can upset West Indies so it's not even a factor.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Rohan Mustafa is the UAE guy to watch out for. Probably their best batter and bowler. They seem to have a lot of newer players in the team from the last WC. The UAE always seems to have a high turnover of players, not sure why.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 am
Follow up to the above post - it appears there is no scenario where Zim fails to qualify, where Zimbabwe defeat United Arab Emirates.

(or WI for that matter).

So 1 more win guarantees a spot.

--------

A random Tie or Washout is the genuine worry:

Like this scenario for instance, there's nothing too unbelievable about this happening:
Ireland vs Scotland (result: Scotland win)
Zimbabwe vs West Indies (result: West Indies win)
Afghanistan vs United Arab Emirates (result: Afghanistan win)
Scotland vs West Indies (result: West Indies win)
Zimbabwe vs United Arab Emirates (result: Tie / NR)
Afghanistan vs Ireland (result: Afghanistan win)
Final points: West Indies(8) Scotland(7) Zimbabwe(6) Afghanistan(6) Ireland(2) United Arab Emirates(1)
22 scenarios of us failing to qualify if Ireland win against Scotland, compared to 55 scenarios if Scotland win... so we want Ireland to win tomorrow.
So even on RR, if we beat the UAE there is no way for us to be knocked out?

Lets beat windies to be sure. Could be a great game tonight between the irish and scots

Googly

Post by Googly »

Is the Ireland Scotland game televised?

eugene

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 am
Is the Ireland Scotland game televised?
Yes.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

eugene

Post by eugene »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 am

I'm not a soccer fan so I'm just guessing a bit here. But in FIFA you have the true heavyweights like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, and England. Thats FIFA's equivalent of the Big 3, only they have a Big 7. Midweights like Portugal, USA, Netherlands, randon Latin and European nations are like SA, PAK, NZ, SL in cricket. Again FIFA probably has 12-20 of these midweights. The you have teams that can be decent on their day (equivalent of WI, BD) like Sweden, Egypt, Australia, Poland, Czech Republic and many others.
Some of the Football WCs have seen games like Brazil vs North Korea, France vs Honduras, Italy vs New Zealand etc, and you even get the midweight and lightweight matches as you call it. Matches like these have been so one sided or utterly boring, they make for some terrible watching. I guess the thing going for football is that it ends in 90 minutes, cricket lasts a whole day. 90 minutes of boring is more tolerable than a whole day.

In saying that, the Football WC already has some dross and poor matches, yet FIFA wants to expand it, and they want to expand it to regions that have teams you would class as low midweight to light weight.

There are many other factors to football such as their being strong football leagues across the globe and more international matches between all the team and not just between the big boys. The list can go on here, so it's best not to compare the sports as a whole, but just the actual event.
New Zealand drew with Italy at the 2010 FIFA World Cup. NZ even led for a lot of the match. New Zealand were the only unbeaten team at the 2010 World Cup.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 am
Follow up to the above post - it appears there is no scenario where Zim fails to qualify, where Zimbabwe defeat United Arab Emirates.

(or WI for that matter).

So 1 more win guarantees a spot.

--------

A random Tie or Washout is the genuine worry:

Like this scenario for instance, there's nothing too unbelievable about this happening:
Ireland vs Scotland (result: Scotland win)
Zimbabwe vs West Indies (result: West Indies win)
Afghanistan vs United Arab Emirates (result: Afghanistan win)
Scotland vs West Indies (result: West Indies win)
Zimbabwe vs United Arab Emirates (result: Tie / NR)
Afghanistan vs Ireland (result: Afghanistan win)
Final points: West Indies(8) Scotland(7) Zimbabwe(6) Afghanistan(6) Ireland(2) United Arab Emirates(1)
22 scenarios of us failing to qualify if Ireland win against Scotland, compared to 55 scenarios if Scotland win... so we want Ireland to win tomorrow.
If Zim beat UAE but lose to windies there is a way we don’t qualify. We lose against Scotland on NRR if both fall on 7 points (a very realistic scenario)
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*