What is the equation now?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: What is the equation now?

Post by foreignfield »

samedwards wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:13 pm
How the hell do you turn over 70% of your team in three years? Especially when they were at their best.
That is because the UAE cricketers are part-time cricketers. They basically form a team around who is available. It is hard for all the best cricketers there to be available at all times.
Hm, I read somewhere, that since they got ODI status all their players are on central contracts ... here it is: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... te-cricket
According to Paul Radley, who covers the UAE cricket for the National and contributes to ESPNcricinfo, the loss of ODI status could have meant termination of the players' contracts, many of whom can only stay in the country if they kept their job.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Hire and fire, I suppose. It probably makes more sense to look at the UAE as a professional club (a mediocre or struggling one) than as a national team. For example, the football club I support has also only two or three players from three years ago still on its books.
And i hope that team is not Eintracht Frankfurt! 😂
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm
samedwards wrote:
How the hell do you turn over 70% of your team in three years? Especially when they were at their best.
That is because the UAE cricketers are part-time cricketers. They basically form a team around who is available. It is hard for all the best cricketers there to be available at all times.
Hm, I read somewhere, that since they got ODI status all their players are on central contracts ... here it is: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... te-cricket
According to Paul Radley, who covers the UAE cricket for the National and contributes to ESPNcricinfo, the loss of ODI status could have meant termination of the players' contracts, many of whom can only stay in the country if they kept their job.

It's just 12 cricketers, and most of them were given contracts based on promise.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/from-t ... s-1.156194

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

samedwards wrote:
The 2015 UAE side was also very old with the majority of those guys being around for a long time, Taquir & Kurram Khan were in their 40’s I believe
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Can someone describe what needs to happen today?

Obviously a Zim win = we progress, but I'm more interested in the scenarios if there's a washout.

Basically the worst result I think would be a rain-affected loss. If we bat first and put up a modest total, UAE get 20 overs to chase a fraction of it... that would not be good.

I think we need to bowl first if we win the toss.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 am

Obviously a Zim win = we progress, but I'm more interested in the scenarios if there's a washout.

Basically the worst result I think would be a rain-affected loss. If we bat first and put up a modest total, UAE get 20 overs to chase a fraction of it... that would not be good.

Sigh.
I really am invisible in this forum.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

:lol: no I listened and absorbed. I get the same feeling as well about the crap I post.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:46 am
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 am

Sigh.
I really am invisible in this forum.
Don’t worry doggy I payed attention xx
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

much love Bligz and Googs.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I heard you doggy, I just chose to not take any of it in as I am too nervous to :lol: