Did we get rid of Elton too early?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Did we get rid of Elton too early?

Post by TapsC »

Now this will look like a random post if you didn't watch the whole game yesterday. There was a time when the commentary team were talking about Zimbabwe having unfulfilled talent. Dirk Nannes then went on to describe one t20 world cup warm up game where a full strength Aussie side were completely stunned with Elton smashing Lee Nannes and Johnson all over the park. 73 off 35 balls I think.we won the game too by one run

I did some digging and found an article on it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/crick ... 873eff877f

I then also started thinking back about some of the fine knocks he has produced over the years and wondering what the hell happened. I know he is part of the problem and it doesn't look like he is even trying at all to make a comeback but if he tried to make a come back would you guys give him a chance?

He actually has a better average than PJ Waller and Mire. He can strike the ball a lot better than them. Considering the conditions we will face in England if we qualify is he not somebody we should try get back on track? An inform Elton could change a lot. He is also younger than Waller and Hami.

IF WE QUALIFY The next domestic season is going to be heated as a lot of guys will see this as their last chance to make a world cup. I think if Elton does pull his socks up and gets back into form he deserves one last shot at it after all he has done for us. People forget some of the fine knocks he has played

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Did we get rid of Elton too early?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Chigumbura went out with a whimper, a bit like Waller of late.

If he applied himself at domestic level and put in some good performances, sure he could have another crack. But he's not the future, I'd prefer to give guys like Musakanda, etc a chance to establish themselves instead.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

The simple answer to the question is no, most certainly no

I don't believe anyone has forgotten the fine knocks he played, some of them were top class, but the past is the past and Chigumbura belongs there, not in the present or the future other than in a coach/management/motivation role, the final days of his international career were dire and embarrassing, why use him when there are much younger players who have years of being dire and embarrassing ahead of them ;)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, I have thought about it too, and the answer is a most definite no. Of course he can stake a claim by turning out in the domestic season or play whatever cricket available etc. But he was already looking the most disinterested guy on field for a while in his last stint. More than anything, such an on field conduct would have had a massive ill influence on young up and coming guys like Musakanda and Burl coming through, if this is how a guy you look up to conducts himself on the field. Basically, he looked like a guy who had moved on from the game but was sticking around like it was a job. I could be completely wrong in that assessment, but those were the vibes. Taibu and Streak must be commended to have seen this and cut the cord when the time was right.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The Chigumbura of old would still be one of the first names on the team sheet, as I rate him higher than somebody like Solomon Mire. But the Chigumbura of old is gone and not coming back.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The problem is Elton doesn’t fire in the Logan cup, he’s among the poorer options if you didn’t know who he was.

I brought this up prior to his last recall. He wasn’t doing that well domestically and people didn’t seem to notice.

If you can’t score big in the pro50, against semi amateurs, how are you going to score big against the big boys?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Elton, Vusi, and a lesser extent Hamilton and Williams are in the same boat. That is, how often do these guys actually fire? They have each played 200-300 innings in international cricket and you'd expect anyone with anything of that amount would do something decent a few times.

Imagine a guy who really doesn't have any talent so to speak...lets say Timycen Maruma. Imagine he had played 300 innings across 10 or 15 years. Would it be surprising if he hit a couple of tons against the likes of UAE or Scotland or Nepal?

Now in a world cup, you've got 9 games agains the best 9 sides in the world where every single game could determine whether a team progresses or not. With that much pressure do you reckon an aging Elton would consistently come good?

He should be dropped for the same reasons as Vusi and Waller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:45 am
Elton, Vusi, and a lesser extent Hamilton and Williams are in the same boat. That is, how often do these guys actually fire? They have each played 200-300 innings in international cricket and you'd expect anyone with anything of that amount would do something decent a few times.

This so much. This is my biggest gripe with Hammy. Close to 200 ODI innings and averaging 28. Elton has 205 innings with an average of 25. Vusi has 127 innings at 24.

With that much experience, guys really need to be doing a lot better more consistently, especially against the smaller teams.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

He was a great servant of zim but his best is way behind him and his bowling is below fc standard now , simply had to be chopped from the team . If zim can find a decent pace bowling allrounder in the near future it is exactly what the team needs. Gone are the days of lord bligz , Streak and Travis friend :(
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

No, he lost his motivation, not surprising since he has played 12 years of international cricket. Time to move on.