Rising Stars Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Flakeman

Re: Rising Stars Squad Announced

Post by Flakeman »

As batsmen if all were available, I’d put

Nick Welch, Eddie Byrom, Wesley Madhevere (bowl too), Schadendorf, Tinashe Kamunukamwe, Jack Myers, Shaun Snyder, Carl Robinson

All round bowlers

Dylan Hondo, Brandon Diplock, Liam Roche, Matigimu, Malcolm Lake, Keith Jaure

Pure bowlers

Herbert Chikomba

Then I’d chuck in Trenoweth, if he’s as good as people make him out to be. Never seen for myself.

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

The side I named would rape the side that’s been announced by 300 runs every game.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Eddie is a professional County cricketer, I don’t think he’d be too chuffed with the downgrade. :lol:
He’s potentially got a good future ahead of him, a lot depends how he goes this season.

NickG
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by NickG »

What will always be the case with a squad like this, is that there will be at least 3 or 4 players who are a hunch/wildcard etc. They attended the trials (and by the way if you didn't - as some of the suggested alternatives didn't - then you can't expect to get picked) and the likes of Taibu and Matsikenyeri see something in them. I don't have a problem with this: look at the rise of Blessing Muzarabani since his inclusion last year. Magarira was also a good leftfield choice.

Ok so not all the wildcard picks worked last time around, but I reckon if 2 guys who have played over 250 internationals between them want to give them a shot then who are we to argue?

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I don’t know much about the squad as I’m not on the ground but if we can blood another few talents like the success of muzarabani it will be a success again . We have found a good 10 year bowler if we can keep him on the park and he can develope the way he has of late . We are desperate for a another gun Batsman , we really are .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

NickG wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm
What will always be the case with a squad like this, is that there will be at least 3 or 4 players who are a hunch/wildcard etc. They attended the trials (and by the way if you didn't - as some of the suggested alternatives didn't - then you can't expect to get picked) and the likes of Taibu and Matsikenyeri see something in them. I don't have a problem with this: look at the rise of Blessing Muzarabani since his inclusion last year. Magarira was also a good leftfield choice.

Ok so not all the wildcard picks worked last time around, but I reckon if 2 guys who have played over 250 internationals between them want to give them a shot then who are we to argue?
i agree with all this.
They need to show true desire firstly, then either have the skill or the key ingredients to work with.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

ZRS initiative of Taibu & ZC will change the structure of Zimbabwe Cricket, first season has given talent like Muzarabani, all that need is now some quality batsman.

Dollar, Medhevere should have been there. Jaure has been the name going around for some years now, needs to deliver his allround skills.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Aren't some of the guys being mentioned still in school? Like Madhevere? Don't think he can just drop out for 3 months. I guess in the end if it unearths 1 or 2 real gems a year it will do it's job. That's what academies do anyway. It will also give us an opportunity to replace the old players in our domestic system slowly. Too many free riders. However, this should also mean that these guys must lost their first class status as far as I'm concerned. Too weak

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

So I'm guessing guys like Jha and Akram were just not good enough ?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Madhevere and Shumba are too young. They might even have another U19 world cup in them? However, we might see them get into the FC system this season (if the matches are played that is). So, they can be part of ZRS two years down the line. No need to push them into it right now. Their path would resemble Burl and Musakanda more, who had already established themselves in the domestic system before ZRS happened.