Rising Stars Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Rising Stars Squad Announced

Post by PSR »

What would have been your 17 man squad Flakeman??Would be really interesting to know since you have a good on the ground knowledge

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ive heard good things about Trennewoth, interesting that he’s 24 years old.
I know a couple of guys-
Davis Murwendo, who was a really good seamer, he’d put on a bit of weight when I watched him bowl last season and wasn’t as much of a prospect as when he was younger. I think he’d bulked up from rugby, he’s damned fiery on the rugby field and is a serious unit.
He was overlooked when he should not have been and would be at a different level if he’d continued getting the coaching he was. If he gets back his bowler’s physique he may surprise. He won a draw a couple of years back for a motorbike at a cricket festival and I will never forget the delight/disbelief on his face.
Wallace Mubaiwa- non traveling. As a junior he was excellent, but again got overlooked by muppets with an agenda. He’s an offie and had beautiful loop and control. He was from out of town and used to pull out all the stops to travel huge distances to get to practice. I think at one point had to drop out of school because his folks were struggling. I’m sorry he’s not traveling, a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone with his background.
To make him non traveling must have pierced his soul.
Mazhawidza is the kid who Mangongo sent home for accusing him of favouring the whites so more than happy for him to be sitting out, long may that last. He’s ok, has bottle and bowls around 130 I guess.
Nyasha is really exciting to watch, little guy, but is fast!
I’ve got a slo mo video of him because he has a reputation of chucking. I wouldn’t like to be making the call on that and I’m assuming they’ve had a good look before spending that kind of money on him. I’m no expert, but would say he’s borderline.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’ve always rated Keith Jaure. Lazy, but when he’s fired up and bowling fast he’s really excellent. Left arm seamer, and was the darling of ZC, but then fell out of favour a bit. He’s short, not that that’s a crime as a quick, but his failing is that you don’t know how hard he’s going to try on any given day. He swings and seams it and is a handful when he brings his A game.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Jaure is a fantastic piano player, plays by ear with no formal training. Really amazing. I think got side tracked with music for a while.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

It's a shame guys like Magarira and a few other guys who didn't establish themselves last year didn't get another go.. so this team will join the first class setup?at least Mumba can get match fit again without too much pressure

Googly

Post by Googly »

From what I can see they’re going with 3 batsmen that will cope. Roche, Shardendorf and Trenewoth. I don’t know the other guys, but if they were any good I would have heard of them. Maybe someone else will step up, but it’s our age old problem here- an extreme shortage of dedicated young batters.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:11 pm
From what I can see they’re going with 3 batsmen that will cope. Roche, Shardendorf and Trenewoth. I don’t know the other guys, but if they were any good I would have heard of them. Maybe someone else will step up, but it’s our age old problem here- an extreme shortage of dedicated young batters.
Why is it these days we seem to be producing plenty of young bowlers but not enough batsmen with real talent? What's really happening on the ground?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Murwendo and Jaure are either still at school or have just left, which makes them at least 20 years old. I went to school with quite a few 20 year olds who were not keen on facing the big bad world and loved the sport and in those days there was no pressure to pass an exam, you just kept at it until the beard and the new wife and kids meant you had to try and earn a crust, so I’m not sure how these chaps managed such a long school career. There’s a one strike and you’re out policy nowadays. Keith used to get picked for national age group above and below his age, he had a very good older brother as well. Keith was a decent batsman earlier on, but just seemed to give up on it. He’s a talented lad for sure, but wasted opportunities gifted to him by ZC. He needs to grab this one because it will be his last.

Googly

Post by Googly »

No one practices enough, bud. And if they do there’s not enough quality cricket to get it all bedded into place. I can’t watch most school cricket anymore because you just can’t find a talented kid for love nor money. And when you do find a half decent one he doesn’t know how to set up store and construct an innings, who to see off, who to go after, which shots to play etc. To find a kid who has made a methodical chanceless 50, never mind a hundred is like hunting for a unicorn.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Not being funny, but Tyler is the most talented player in that squad, and I don't even need to watch any of them. He hit the biggest 6 I've ever seen when he played for us two summers ago, against the Division 1's top fast bowler. A front foot pull over mid wicket which would have probably reached 110m. Big boy as well and physically very fit. Naturally very fast and swings the ball when he got his wrist in the right position. I know because I kept to him.

LJriley will attest that he can hit a ball, after he smashed his sides opening (and arguably best seam bowler) over his head for a monster 6 in the first over. He's a limited overs player, not made for the longer format. He's even said that himself. But he's no slogger. Has a great technique and loves to open the batting. Very very pleased for him, as he's very hard working and has ambitions to play international cricket.