The Rebuilding Process

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: The Rebuilding Process

Post by Googly »

You have to identify players with capacity to do well at international level, stats at FC level are only part of the puzzle. It’s the same old story- some of our guys have done poorly, but there’s hardly anyone in waiting.
There are no easy answers. We’re waiting to see how ZC reacts to all of this in terms of proceeding with club and franchise and RS and age group stuff.
The right people need to make club cricket independent of the whims of ZC. ZC have created this dependency on purpose and it’s been our downfall.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:12 am
You have to identify players with capacity to do well at international level, stats at FC level are only part of the puzzle. It’s the same old story- some of our guys have done poorly, but there’s hardly anyone in waiting.
There are no easy answers. We’re waiting to see how ZC reacts to all of this in terms of proceeding with club and franchise and RS and age group stuff.
The right people need to make club cricket independent of the whims of ZC. ZC have created this dependency on purpose and it’s been our downfall.
Do the club's have the capacity to support themselves? You would know a lot more than us about that. In an ideal world they should be independent but I always thought the economic collapse led to their dependency.

The 3 FC team system that Zimdoggy mentioned it's actually a good idea I think if it creates money for a vibrant club system which will act as a feeder to very competitive first class teams.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I must bore you with my posts, coz you don’t read them :lol: ZC dismantled the club system here.
The problem is maintenance of the grounds, they now rely on funding because the cricket sections are not supported well enough. It’s expensive to keep a cricket ground in good order. Everything revolves around HSC, there’s always something going on there, but the other clubs are deserted most of the time. Clubs need members who pay subs, most of the cricketers can’t afford them or are not prepared to pay or pay enough. The club committees need cricket people to keep the grounds and nets in good order. I don’t know the way forward because the situation is not likely to change in the short term. The reality is that it just limps along. It would be fantastic if corporates sponsored these clubs, but I don’t see that happening. There’s an air or reliance and resignation, punctuated by brief moments of enthusiasm.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I wonder if BAC and Old Hararians will still be maintained? They looked to have done a good job upgrading them for the Qualifiers, I particular liked the look of BAC which is of course Bulawayo's first test ground.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well there’s levels of maintenance. One would hope that there’s renewed enthusiasm and that they will be kept in better condition. I know when Doug Higgins was the National Curator he used to oversee ground maintenance at the various venues and did a fine job. I’m not sure how it works now. He was based at CFX and that place was absolutely immaculate, no alien grass, no moles, crickets etc. I was there the other day and whilst it’s still ok it’s not a patch on what it was. HSC had its problems a while ago and there was some last second panic fertilizing and praying. I think it was before the Aussie tour, if I’m not mistaken. One important procedure is to scarify the outfield Every couple of years at least, and this process is often overlooked. We have big water issues in Harare and Bulawayo. Cricket grounds need an endless supply of water, this is also an ongoing problem.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Amazing how they have stayed on top of things at Newlands.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes