Graeme Cremer removed from Captaincy

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Graeme Cremer removed from Captaincy

Post by TapsC »

That million dollars was probably going to be used to cover the salary gaps. I can see why it meant so much

Googly

Post by Googly »

That statement he made of a million is a lie. WC qualification was worth way way more than that. They continually downplay what comes in

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

What’s the difference between VIP and VVIP?
At OH the public didn’t even have access to the clubhouse when there were less than 500 people watching some of those games, not sure whether it was classified as VIP, VVIP or VVVIP? The problem with these ICC funds being guaranteed for the foreseeable future these guys are really going to dig in. It would take a monumental concerted effort by all involved to oust them. I don’t see a revolutionary leader. I got cussed for this comment before by quite a few people, and perhaps because my predictions were out by a couple of years, but we’re now staring into the abyss and something needs to be done.
Well young Googly VIP is bottom lounge(below the players) VVIP is top lounge (next to the players- where the Chairman of Boards sit)

You sir are being angry and confrontational with the ZC Board and you must not look to directly oust them, mao tse tung my friend mao tse tung.
Simply create your own new board with constitution intact and sell it to the players to join, promise them 10% of yearly earnings for their players union, get recognised by ICC and leave ZC board to pay their debt off that they created and have un-developed cricket for nearly two decades . Leave them to underperform in their mire of debt. Don't acknowledge them and don't recognise them and of course ban each and every one of them from any national sports Board for 4years if not life!
#nostress simply set up a debt free player friendly alternative with oversight and a constitution that does not allow any borrowing.

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

That statement he made of a million is a lie. WC qualification was worth way way more than that. They continually downplay what comes in
Actually he is correct- both qualifying teams would receive $1m immediately. Then $19m for appearing in the WC.
The 1m was to be split, 500k for players and tech team and 500k for admin.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Thanks for volunteering me to become a road traffic statistic! :lol:
This is sound in theory, but you need someone like Houghton or Flower for the buy-in from the players and from the ICC. Can you imagine the upheaval! The first thing you need is the quiet blessing from the ICC and then this would probably be feasible. The incumbents would literally come out guns blazing, and they’re powerful influential people. Then you’d need a smart lawyer to unravel the legality of that loan. ZC have long term leases on the main grounds, I know they’ve been in arrears many times, but this would be a trump card for them.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem here is everything is connected to politics, people are justifiably genuinely afraid to speak up.
If anything like this ever gained any sort of traction you’d see such a massive backlash against the ZC and all the shenanigans that have taken place that it would fill a book.
We’re all angry with ZC, are you not?
Most ex-players and guys who still vaguely follow our cricket have all resigned themselves to the complete demise of the game here. All of our sport is at such a low ebb that we’re at the point of being like Zambia or Mozambique where sport doesn’t really factor into anything. For example, why would schools make any attempt to lay on any sport at anything beyond a social level? It costs a pile of cash and what would be the upside? One or two kids getting a scholarship to disappear to SA or England hardly merits the outlay. Why would kids practice daily to become really good at anything? It would be for some inter-school rivalry and then that’s the end of it the second they leave school. That’s almost where we are at across the entire spectrum of sport here, particularly team sports.
Cricket was the one game where we genuinely competed.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jimmylesaint wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:49 pm
Actually he is correct- both qualifying teams would receive $1m immediately. Then $19m for appearing in the WC.
The 1m was to be split, 500k for players and tech team and 500k for admin.
If we lost $20 million dollars for losing to the UAE then i can understand why they would be upset. Even the fans should be upset. Some games you just cant afford to lose. These are professionals. Not club cricketers. They wake up everday to do this. That was an 8 figure game and they bottled it..wow..

To me i think everybody is to blame. The board has serious problems that needs to be addressed but the players also seriously let us down.

Also is it not a bit of a contradiction if the internal source quoted here is saying they went through an intenense preparation process but then they still lost to the UAE?

Also that they believed yet one of their own came out and said the pressure wasnt on Zim because he didnt expect to qualify? This was before the tournament. Where was this so called belief in that person?

They also allegedly went on strike before the west indies game. I guess at that point they felt they had qualified but to do something like that then lose to the UAE and the West Indies as well is counter-productive. That money they were playing for could have resolved most of the issues the are talking about. They should have done their part first then gone on strike.

Maybe thats what the ICC plant in ZC was hoping for. To use the money to fix things. In the end they all let each other down. The board is corrupt and stole millions and the players let the whole nation down and cost the game millions of dollars.

Survivor

Post by Survivor »

Long time reader - first time poster.

As you all know Zimbabwean cricket is on the brink and there is a very real possibility it will disappear.

Setting up a rebel board is impossible and just would not be feasible despite how good an idea it seems. However the administrators are not stupid and they know they probably cannot get any further personal financial gain as the game has been run into ruin. It shows in their recent desperate moves and comments.

One of the only options Zimbabwe cricket has would be if there was a private buyer for the game. This would satisfy ground leases etc. The board may also agree as they could get a personal financial gain from a sale. Obviously this would be a world first and would need the backing of the ICC. There is always interest in buyer sporting teams and given TV rights etc may benefit a buyer eventually.

Googly

Post by Googly »

So if all the cricketers are working for ZC who gave themselves a loan with unacceptable repayment terms and most of the money keeps going back to this loan repayment and doesn’t filter down to where it should go
and the very people that can gift us this 20m windfall are in arrears a week before the crunch game and haven’t subsequently been paid and you think they should share the blame?
It was more than 20m they were playing for. Watch the implosion. They were playing for our survival, way too much pressure for anyone to deal with.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

There is one group of people (or two if you add the coaching staff) who have given everything they could but failed at the last hurdle. And then there is a group of people who don't seem to get much if anything done and a squandering the future of the game in Zim.

I know which group I want to continue to support; but it doesn't mean that I can't criticize them.

As for the other group, they should just go!
Last edited by foreignfield on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.