Realistic coaching targets

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Realistic coaching targets

Post by jaybro »

FACT since the Under 19’s World Cup sides of 02-04-06 Zimbabwe has produced one batsman who has scored an international century that being Solomon Mire.

That’s very concerning that in 12 years we haven’t produced any quality international batsman, once these guys retire we’re in trouble if we can’t get those guys I mentioned back.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Why do you keep avoiding the question? Are you saying Streak did nothing wrong? This is what im arguing about. You are trying to shift the blame completely on the board. That is just as shameful as what the board are doing by making the technical team the scapegoats. I dont know how you can blame the board for technical errors like Ervine batting at 7. You keep avoiding answering that.

If you think im Cephas Zhuwao then I dont know :lol:
I might as well be Cephas Zhuwao and Forster Mutizwa and other guys like that who put their hand up but were treated poorly. Guys who were just chucked into a tournament with no preparation instead of having had a chance to play in the UAE and adjust to the team just like everybody else. I am none of them but I feel their pain. This a job. Its not club cricket where there is no big financial reward. They have families. You cant just pick Murray and Mavuta because you feel like it and disadvantage people who slave away for peanuts. These guys are old now. They have families to feed and a future to think of.

You keep missing my point. If you read all my posts you will see that I dont support the board. In fact I said that I wanted Streak to remain the bowling coach and we get a new head coach. This was before they sacked everybody. Them firing everybody is an injustice. Mangongo like he said had nothing to do with what happened but he was fired. As well as Bell Chawaguta Utseya and Lamb. They should have at least had a hearing and spoken in a way where Streak and taibu would have still had a future.

Whatmore was treated poorly but Streak still came. Simmons and Waller were treated poorly but Whatmore still came. The world does not revolve around Heath Streak. Makhaya Ntini will tell you that. A lot of the guys who were fired will probably be rehired.Its all a ploy just to get people to sign worse contracts than they already have. The board is manipulating the system. They dont have the money to pay all of them. Dont be surprised if you see the likes of Hondo and Utseya bounce right back.

Lets not speculate who it is but I suspect it will be a foreign coach with a decent track record who is going to drain our resources just like Allan Donald predicted.

As for who picked Zhuwao the story will reveal itself one day but anyobody with a bit of intuition can look at the chain of events and see exactly what happened. You think the board is crying about selection for no reason? Its pretty obvious they had their picks. Not squad picks because they got their way with that already.
I honestly did not even read the rest of the thread after this post because I saw so many glaring problems with this one post that I had to respond.

We are not saying Streak did nothing wrong, we are saying he has done the best with what he has been given, and what he is doing is better than what the board is doing. He is working hard for the benefit of the team and the game, whereas the board are not. You are only focusing on fixing a symptom and not the actual cause.

Where exactly would you have put Ervine? If you put him and Moor together at the top you get a slower run rate and we needed to have the right balance of an aggressor and an anchor. It is not Ervines fault. He was never expected to finish off the game. Perhaps Cephas was not selected for the UAE series because Streak and co could see he is not up to the standard required. Like you say, he was an enforced selection so why should Streak pick him. As for people slaving away for peanuts, that's not Streaks fault. That is the boards. Seriously mate, you can't even keep up your argument. You keep swaying from side to side.

I'm just going to say that Mangongo deserved to be fired for being idiotic. Promising a top 4 finish when he knows full well that is not possible. Not the kind of delusion we need in the system.

You really need to read your own posts because you are arguing exactly what we all are, you are just doing in it in a roundabout fashion and coming across as someone with a very personal and racially biased agenda.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I don't think TapsC has a racially biased agenda.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Not sure why there should always be extremes. This post by foreignfield on another thread should just be the final word on this, ideally:
foreignfield wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am
There is one group of people (or two if you add the coaching staff) who have given everything they could but failed at the last hurdle. And then there is a group of people who don't seem to get much if anything done and a squandering the future of the game in Zim.

I know which group I want to continue to support; but it doesn't mean that I can't criticize them.

As for the other group, they should just go!

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

+1

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Definitely not stopping anyone from criticising Streak I myself didn’t agree with all his moves, but if you’re going to be critical of someone you need to

A - Have a solution to the aspect you’re being critical of

B - Be able to back up your argument

C - Be ready to debate your argument

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

To be fair to you jaybro he doesn't have A.

But he probably has B & C.

To be fair him, do many of our contributions manage to have A,B & C?

Most of the heat in this discussion seems not to be connected to the points at hand but rather is born out of the humiliation everyone is burning with.

Apportioning blame correctly is really hard.

The admin
The selectors
The coaches
The players

What % do you reckon for each, Jaybro? TapsC do you care to score too?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Oh that’s tough Jemisi because the really everything stems from admin tbh

I think the selectors got the right team or at least the right 15 all things considering ( no domestic comp & small player pool ). As I said before I can’t think of 1 guy who should have been in the 15 that wasn’t so I’m not blaming them.

The players in the end of the day failed to qualify and most alarmingly failed to beat UAE. You can argue all the things I’ve been bringing up about pay issues, poor facilities, no domestic comp etc. But the issue in the end of the day was too many of the batsman weren’t contributing enough. Mire, Cephas, Hami, Ervine & Waller all had poor tournaments and too much was asked of BT & Raza. In the end of the day though if this was another country we would have had more options to swap players, but with no meaningful matches being played and our small player pool we had to stick with those guys. I give them 20% blame

The coaches is hard to judge because we’re not in team meetings or training sessions so we can only really judge on team selections & obvious tactics. From a far it seemed they tried to put as much faith and confidence in the players by keeping the same squad and seemed to encourage the batsman to continue sweeping the spinners despite many of us wishing they would stop it looked like the coaches backed the players. In the end the coaches backed the players and although we nearly qualified certain players just never delivered. 20% blame to the coaches.

The board / admin have done little right or to help the situation even though the chairman has stated they gave the national team the best chance to qualify which is bull shit. Imo our best chance to qualify would have been to be playing at home prior to the qualifiers instead we were in Asia, the board claims they got us the fixtures but they simply accepted the invites as it’s the host nation who organises the tour. We needed a 50 over domestic tournament running before the qualifiers or even more A games, those matches against Kenya achieved nothing. Going back even further if the board hadn’t been running the game into the ground for years we’d have a better and deeper playing pool and we would have had options to change the squad. I’ve asked the question what feels like a thousand times of who else we should / could have picked and I’m yet to get a decent answer off anyone. For me the board deserve 60% blame as really apart from getting the qualifiers at home ( which they were handed to by the ICC despite Zim being the least suitable to host such a tournament ) I can’t see anything they did well to help the boys qualify.

Selectors 0%

Players 20%

Coaches 20%

Board 60%

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I will admit I may a touch biased because I love all the players and Streak & Taibu are two of my all time favourites, those two guys are such large figures in Zim Cricket history for Streak he imo has given more to cricket in this country than any other human and for me he is our greatest ever player !!! And Taibu the first black captain at such a young age he led Zimbabwe through a difficult time.

I just can’t understand how anyone can think Zimbabwe is better off without those two guys???? This is why I hate the board they clearly don’t understand cricket.

Knowing that Streak and Taibu were calling the shots and we seemed to have our best side on the paddock I’ve been overlooking all the other aspects of Zim Cricket that are still a mess, like the domestic comp, social media, growth if the game, club cricket etc. I’ll even admit that I said I thought the board was doing a good job despite the failings and short comings because I was just happy they had Streak and Taibu incharge of the National side.

Yes it’s not good we’re not going to the World Cup it’s really fucked but I think the board needed to take a breath and look at who they thought would be the best people to take Zim forward, for me Streak and Taibu still were/ are the best guys. But now the board has accused Heath of being a racist I’m afraid the bridge is burnt for ever now, what kind of a chairman accuses the ex national coach and national legend for that matter of being a racist when it’s clearly not true !!!!

Just shows the caliber of people we have running the sport!!! Just so very sad

Googly

Post by Googly »

Any shortcomings from coaching staff, selectors or players originate from two decades of maladministration. The buck stops there. The second you blame anyone else you give ZC some legitimacy.
Mukuhlani’s allegation of racism against Streak is one of the myriad reasons why this poisonous racist man and his cronies must go. This is a never ending saga that plays out in politics and sport ad nauseum and keeps these people driving the bus.
I will keep saying this- our cricket comes to a grinding halt within two years under them. They are incapable of anything other than theft and lies.
It’s only in the players’ hands now. Our national side was playing a tournament for our survival and failed, there’s one last chance and that’s not to play one more game of cricket until there’s a new plan in place.
Not having had a “new” batsman in the last 12 years, other than Solly, make a ton, tells you everything you need to know. Our nursery is non existent and you can throw whatever money you like at players from 18-22 but it’s too late, they ain’t gonna be good enough.
Our FC and Club system cannot and does not provide the quality of cricket to prepare anyone for the intensity and quality of international cricket. End of story.
Gentlemen try and grow a set of gonads and make a stand and do not be divided, our destiny is in your hands.