Realistic coaching targets

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Realistic coaching targets

Post by jaybro »

Ok let’s try and put together a short list of REALISTIC coaching targets for ZC, I’ve seen a few people say ‘I’d like to see Andy Flower coach Dave houghton batting coach’ people this just ain’t going to happen for many reasons.

I’m really struggling to think of anyone considering the way ZC has treated overseas coaches in the past and the fact they’re broke.

I know Geoff Toyana has left the Lions, he might want a shot at coaching an international side? I would be happy with him at least he’s been involved in a professional setup before and he’ll likely bring his own coaching team with him, he’s also had quite a few good young players come through his side.

Grant Flower - Unlikely IMO after hes seen how they treated his good mate Streak and he’s been dismissed before by ZC for no reason. But he is a Zimbo and he is a coach so he’s in the list.

Peter Kirsten - He was on the previous short list last time so you’d think he might be there again, I’d much rather Gary Kirsten but Peter might have to do.

There’s always the chance someone will see the chance to coach an international team as an attractive option, but with the current state of the setup and the ill treatment of previous coaches the ZC job doesn’t look enticing
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Realistic coaching targets

Post by jimmylesaint »

Shephard Makunura.
ANyone seen David Coltart piece on his web page?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

jimmylesaint wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:55 pm
Shephard Makunura.
ANyone seen David Coltart piece on his web page?
Yeup sure did, he didn’t miss did he lol

Googly

Post by Googly »

That was a great article he wrote. He tried in the past to get things sorted out at ZC when he was the Minister Of Sport and hit a brick wall. That shows you what you’re dealing with, he wasn’t just blocked at that level by those vipers, but beyond that as well. They created the perception that whites were trying to regain control of the cricket and of course that’s the rallying cry that makes everyone close ranks from top down.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 am
That was a great article he wrote. He tried in the past to get things sorted out at ZC when he was the Minister Of Sport and hit a brick wall. That shows you what you’re dealing with, he wasn’t just blocked at that level by those vipers, but beyond that as well. They created the perception that whites were trying to regain control of the cricket and of course that’s the rallying cry that makes everyone close ranks from top down.
Coltart was one of Manase's close advisors. Once they saw that Manase was swiftly removed with a surprise contestant in the last election. They completely caught them off guard

That rallying cry is sadly used by these guys a lot. Its shameful. I already know right now they are pushing that race agenda about Streak yet he is far from it. When I mentioned diplomacy from Taibu thats what I meant. Waller constantly getting picked is what they are going to use as one example. PJ too even though for me he is a good pick in test cricket. Taibu should have never given those guys uptop room to cry by making tough decisions a lot earlier.

Waller should have been dropped ages ago like Elton and Vusi who actually have better ODI records than him. All they have to do is open 4 tabs on their computers with ODI records of Elton Vusi Waller and PJ to express that point..He completely misred the situation and thought that they had been given complete freedom to do what they want

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Teams aren’t picked looking at cricinfo scorecards TapsC as Mark Waugh said recently “If you were just going pick who ever had the better average than why pay for selectors”

These are the facts -

From the winning SL series side they added BT, KJ & Blessing to the BD tour ( not counting Murray & Mavuta as they were there for experience ). No one was arguing with those inclusions.

After that series the only 50 over cricket was a disappointing A tour to UAE where no one demanded selection especially any batsman. We had 1 game for the Pro50 championship and 4 meaningless 50 over matches against Kenya who were clearly the worst side at the ICL2 playoffs. In those matches Zhuwao was the standout and got selected for the CWQ.

Burl & Musakanda were dropped for Williams & Zhuwao and I don’t remember anyone saying we had picked the wrong squad, in fact I believe many people said this was our best possible squad.

Zhuwao played 6 matches averaged 16 and was dropped for the final game, like Waller was dropped after having a bad tour of UAE and missed out v Afghanistan.

Jarvis was dropped for Blessing and only returned once Vitori got suspended and Chatara got injured he was then dropped for Chisoro.

Chatara replaced Chisoro for the UAE game as we were looking to bowl them cheaply because of the rain threat. Stats show the UAE batsman struggled v pace and usually the early morning conditions at HSC favour seam. I don’t remember anyone disagreeing that the right tactic was to play 3 seamers ( I even suggested 4 ) and bowl first to beat UAE.

Now after the fact they we failed to qualify Streak & Taibu have been sacked and their selections questioned. Streak said in the Dean DuPlessis interview he’s been called a racist for dropping Zhuwao for PJ and for selections KJ over Chisoro, it took him less than 2 minutes to explain these selections in cricketing terms which made total sense.

The question is who should have been picked in the side that wasn’t considering there were no meaningful matches to select from???

I really can’t think of any players outside of the 15 man squad that should have been there, you could argue Burl or Tari instead of PJ or Waller but neither had runs on the board.

TapsC you mentioned Vusi & Elton well Vusi is injured and Elton is done and dusted.

The board has held Streak accountable for the loss and picking the wrong side but why isn’t the board accountable for not being able to hold the Pro50 championship ???? The wanker who is head of the board said they gave the side everything they needed to qualify that’s total bullshit, they were invited to tour BD and uAE ( by Afghanistan) the board did fuck all for that. The board should have had the side playing at home in the same conditions they’d be playing in but they’re too broke to host any matches ffs.

If the board had the domestic competition running properly and actually paid the domestic players then Maybe the playing pool in Zimbabwe wouldn’t be so shallow and Streak might have some better players to chose from and he could have dropped PJ and Waller and selected better players.

I really don’t understand what else Streak could have done?? You say Streak and Taibu need to be accountable well they’re the only ones ( plus all the other coaches ) because the board aren’t sacking themselves and they can’t sack the players because after the 15 they selected for the qualifiers there’s sweet fuck all left in the cupboard !!!!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Zhuwao did not average 16 in the tournament. That is a lie. He averaged 20.6. They are taking the 1 ODI game he played before. One game where he scored 45 was a List A game. Hami averaged 21.7 PJ hadnt played and had an average of 18. That doesnt justify being dropped. Why not drop Hami who did nothìng the whole tournament instead of pushing him to open where he failed again as usual.

I never complained about the squad. The board didnt complain about the squad after the forced Zhuwao to be picked. These guys were going to pick Burl if there was no outside pressure and he wouldnt have been a good pick. In fact how can you criticize Zhuwao when Burl has played? Burl averages 15 in 13 games yet he was constantly getting picked and you think that is fair?Streak and Taibu had biases. Its so obvious. Burl has a high score of 30! He was struggling against Kenya but if they had it their way he would have been picked.

Again I will say it a million times Jaybro. The board is a long term problem and they must go. That is not negotiable for me as well. Still doesnt mean Streak and Taibu didnt do anything wrong.

How can you say Murray and Mavuta were there for the experience when we had a big tournament coming up? Do you realize that Sean williams was dropped for that tournament and the finger injury came after? How can you take somebody who is at university on tour instead of trying out realistic options? You think that wasnt a mistake.

You yourself said Streak was a man who will die by his decisions when he constantly picked Waller and I asked why. Now he gets fired you are crying foul. I dont want to be like HHM and pull out old posts but you said this. He played Ervine at 7 and he paid for it. You cant take a gamble then it doesnt pay off and the oppressor who has been devouring everybody devours you as well. Simple as that.. the board need to go as well. It doesnt mean Streak was doing a great job.

In fact he has the second worst record against associates. Had we lost to the UAE Scotland and the netherlands before? Afghanistan almost blanked us. How many full members besides the 2 new ones did he even play and beat? Sri Lanka and the West Indies I think.

Dont let the board blind you from the bad decisions and clear biases these 2 had. As for Steve Waugh he has a point but numbers dont lie. After a period like you see PJ and his stats. They represent the truth. He will never be a good ODI player

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Streak was also using stats to defened his decisions but we cant use stats to question his? Come on!

Ultimately the lineup he picked could have won and should have won if it wasnt for the batting order in my opinion. The Chisoro decision was tough but understandable. That im not not complaining about.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:57 am

Now after the fact they we failed to qualify Streak & Taibu have been sacked and their selections questioned. Streak said in the Dean DuPlessis interview he’s been called a racist for dropping Zhuwao for PJ and for selections KJ over Chisoro, it took him less than 2 minutes to explain these selections in cricketing terms which made total sense.
Where is this interview?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:57 am
Zhuwao did not average 16 in the tournament. That is a lie. He averaged 20.6. They are taking the 1 ODI game he played before. One game where he scored 45 was a List A game. Hami averaged 21.7 PJ hadnt played and had an average of 18. That doesnt justify being dropped. Why not drop Hami who did nothìng the whole tournament instead of pushing him to open where he failed again as usual.

I never complained about the squad. The board didnt complain about the squad after the forced Zhuwao to be picked. These guys were going to pick Burl if there was no outside pressure and he wouldnt have been a good pick. In fact how can you criticize Zhuwao when Burl has played? Burl averages 15 in 13 games yet he was constantly getting picked and you think that is fair?Streak and Taibu had biases. Its so obvious. Burl has a high score of 30! He was struggling against Kenya but if they had it their way he would have been picked.

Again I will say it a million times Jaybro. The board is a long term problem and they must go. That is not negotiable for me as well. Still doesnt mean Streak and Taibu didnt do anything wrong.

How can you say Murray and Mavuta were there for the experience when we had a big tournament coming up? Do you realize that Sean williams was dropped for that tournament and the finger injury came after? How can you take somebody who is at university on tour instead of trying out realistic options? You think that wasnt a mistake.

You yourself said Streak was a man who will die by his decisions when he constantly picked Waller and I asked why. Now he gets fired you are crying foul. I dont want to be like HHM and pull out old posts but you said this. He played Ervine at 7 and he paid for it. You cant take a gamble then it doesnt pay off and the oppressor who has been devouring everybody devours you as well. Simple as that.. the board need to go as well. It doesnt mean Streak was doing a great job.

In fact he has the second worst record against associates. Had we lost to the UAE Scotland and the netherlands before? Afghanistan almost blanked us. How many full members besides the 2 new ones did he even play and beat? Sri Lanka and the West Indies I think.

Dont let the board blind you from the bad decisions and clear biases these 2 had. As for Steve Waugh he has a point but numbers dont lie. After a period like you see PJ and his stats. They represent the truth. He will never be a good ODI player
Are you serious mate you would have dropped Hami before Zhuwao ??? Cmon that’s laughable 😂😂😂😂

I apologise about Zhuwao’s average but again cmon 20 is not a good average, if you take his 20 and take out Moor’s 39 we still don’t win lol

Do you know for a fact Zhuwao was picked by the board and not by Streak and Taibu ???? Because you’re making a big call here bud you’d want to be sure you’re right !!!

The argument about Streak’s record v Associates is irrelevant as former coaches didn’t have to play Afghanistan who are clearly not an associate level side.

Again TapsC I’ve been asking you and you keep side stepping the question, who should have been picked that wasn’t ???

So far all you got is that they wanted to pick Burl but were forced to pick Zhuwao and they dropped Zhuwao for Moor !!!

Are you Cephas Zhuwao ???

You said it’s clear Moor will never be a good ODI player, maybe you’re right but if you’re such a good judge you’ll know Cephas is club cricketer and will never cut in ODI’s either.

And what about who will be the next coach mate ??? You’re more than happy to sack Streak but who to replace him??? Who the fuck will want this job after the way ZC treat their coaches ????