My own topic for once.-who is the ZC board?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: My own topic for once.-who is the ZC board?

Post by jimmylesaint »

then its an endorsement of Mukuhlani and co
Not at all. A slave will always please his boss.
That is what these cricketers are, economic slaves. Cricket is their only source of income... they have no choice.
We all know how unhappy players have been and still are for not getting paid.
I don't see how people with no choice can endorse their only masters without obvious bias.
Let's wait and see where the dice fall

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am
In some ways I have little sympathy for Streak, he had to know this was going to end badly - things always do with ZC. Nobody ever leaves cricket in Zimbabwe on good terms. It is always an acrimonious firing or forced departure. Qualifying for the CWC would have only delayed the inevitable fallout by 12-18 months. Streak knew he was signing on with the devil.
Streak is good enough to get a good job anywhere (already has had an IPL stint). He came back for the love of his country and thats a very honorable thing. Doubly so knowing what he must have known re the bad ending. At the same time, how many people would have wanted it any other way? Without Streak, its unlikely BT and Jarvis would have returned. And without BT, ZIM wouldn't have gotten as close in the WCQ as they ended up coming. Streak's return in 2016 allowed ZIM to assemble the strongest possible squad ahead of the Qualifiers, and barring the [understandable if not justifiable] selection of Cephas, every player picked had some merit. Yes I know Waller was there, but for the late hitter role it would have been down to Waller or Elton and not picking Elton is a no-brainer. The other hitters Cephas and Mire were already in the squad. The number of fixtures arranged was also keeping in mind ODI qualification in mind. Between the end of the last WC and the start of the Qualifiers, ZIM played the 5th most ODIs out of all sides. The one thing ZC got right in their planning was to arrange as many fixtures as they could to give the side the best possible preperation.

So I don't think Streak took the job without knowing and accepting the negatives. I'm sure he knew the Qualifier would be used as an excuse for his firing. But he took on the job because he was the best available candidate and because he wanted to give back to the country and team he loves so much. Right decision from Streak, IMO, and he shouldn't have been fired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Never knew we played the 5th most ODIs in the last 3 years. Thats crazy. Makes you wonder how we saw the likes of Hami making the same mistakes over and over again.

Another thing the board got right I think is making sure we hosted the qualifiers. That home advantage helped them in 2 very close games. Had they been anywhere else we would have finished bottom of the super 6.

Streak definitiely can get employed as a bowling coach in a lot of countries

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think Streak did well negotiating 25k. Some moronic reporter claimed it was the highest in the history of the game! :lol:
As much as I want to see a Streak/Flower/Brent in the system someone will always cry racist when it’s not going well or over some selection or some other issue.

Players turning out for games today is all anyone needs to know about their abilities to think something through and the key guys who persuade the others to tow the line for a KFC voucher and a scud are pathetic. I hope they wallow and choke on the empty promises and the pittance they receive. Most of them are very average 2nd division club cricketers anyway and not worth the $100 a month they do get.
Everyone will be looking for someone to blame when we don’t qualify for the T20 now. I’m tired of this.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yeah hosting the tourney was a good move, curious to know why WI didn't put in a bid to host. If they had, they'd have gotten preference over ZIM as ZIM had preference over IRE/SCO/UAE. I guess the WI board also couldn't afford to host such costly tournament for little commercial payback.

This is more relevant to my "moving forward" thread, but since that seems to be a bust, I'll post it here. The WCQs plus the last 3 years needs to be analyzed critically. Of course that will almost certainly be impossible, because the most pressing issue will always be the ZC board's continuous failings. Its a chicken or egg question: does the team struggle because the board is useless, or is the board useless because the team struggles? One thing is certain, the more they play, the more chances they give the opposition to figure them out. Zimbabwe ranked 5th in ODIs played, yet ranked 14th (or 3rd from the bottom) in W/L ratio, despite playing mostly against Afghanistan, Ireland, and a myriad collection of other Associates. That is simply shocking, series win in Sri Lanka notwithstanding.

Another thing that ought to give pause for thought is the fact that the Masakadzas and Williams are still indespensible and they all need to play on till they are 40 a la Misbah, Shiv, or Tendulkar. Taylor, Raza, and Ervine are the only players who have at some time or another put in a string of performances, against strong enough opposition, to say that they are of international quality. Ervine's form has been poor, but his batting from 2015 to 2017 was very consistent and he scored several tons, IIRC. Everyone knows about Taylor and Raz, who are IMO, a step above Ervine. But there's a substantial drop off beyond that. Cremer is consistent, but not in a match-winning way. Chatara is the seamer equivalent of Cremer: rarely has a bad game, but when he does, its usually at very critical time. Blessing is just too young at this stage.

Fortunately, missing out on the 16 team WT20, is not going to happen. But it looks unlikely as ever that ZIM will make it to the Super 10 stage (there are talks of making it a Super 12). My personal opinion is keep T20 for the circus that it is. 4 groups of 4 teams, quarterfinals, semis, finals and be done with it in 2 weeks.

Back to ZIM. The young cats, Tary, Burl, etc need to join Blessing and step up. ZC should blood them early in an effort to retain them as well as acclimatize them to international cricket as much as possible.

All was never lost. The WC is but a small prize. The new ODI league is IMO more important for ZIM as you've got to finish well ahead of Netherlands and Ireland, because it seems that while there seems to be no talk of promotion/relegation in the Test league, it seems implicit in the ODI scheme. Surely Netherlands can't be a permanent 13th ODI league team, especially when far more lucrative teams like Nepal are now within contention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)