Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 : Australia, Zimbabwe & Pakistan

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 : Australia, Zimbabwe & Pakistan

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:24 am

In an ideal world, they bring another decent quality cricket playing nation to the table, one with years of history. and that should be good enough reason to do everything to keep cricket going there. Especially after the crowds that thronged the grounds and proved beyond any doubt that there is massive interest towards the game. But for ICC, that's not enough, unfortunately.
Well the ICC doesn't seem keen on having any more than about 10 such sides and in Afghanistan I think they feel they've filled that quota. There were also reports that HSC and Queens were packed only because admission was free of charge and even a $5 ticket would have meant empty stands. I don't know how true that is. I remember being surprised to see the 2014 tri series with AUS and SA had packed crowds...I'm sure they charged for admission then (surely???).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

Well the ICC doesn't seem keen on having any more than about 10 such sides and in Afghanistan I think they feel they've filled that quota. There were also reports that HSC and Queens were packed only because admission was free of charge and even a $5 ticket would have meant empty stands. I don't know how true that is. I remember being surprised to see the 2014 tri series with AUS and SA had packed crowds...I'm sure they charged for admission then (surely???).
Kriterion you are correct-entrance was free and in instances there were school children bussed in to fill up seats!
What was damning was the lack of spectators at non-zim games- that really reflected what the general population thinks about cricket in Zimbabwe.

Normally a $1 charge or $2 for the stands is levied but remember it was an ICC paid for event so no charge. Aain Aus vs SA had ZC board bussing in kids. I'm not against the bussing in of kids as it may inspire some of them to take up the willow.
What you have outlined KBD is that the love for the game is not in the general populace- cricket is still an elitist sport.
If we had a similar tournament with football then the grounds would have been packed zim playing or not.

Zim Cricket is heading to mediocrity just like previous colonial(African) countries state of cricket have ended up

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jimmylesaint wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Kriterion you are correct-entrance was free and in instances there were school children bussed in to fill up seats!
What was damning was the lack of spectators at non-zim games- that really reflected what the general population thinks about cricket in Zimbabwe.

Normally a $1 charge or $2 for the stands is levied but remember it was an ICC paid for event so no charge. Aain Aus vs SA had ZC board bussing in kids. I'm not against the bussing in of kids as it may inspire some of them to take up the willow.
What you have outlined KBD is that the love for the game is not in the general populace- cricket is still an elitist sport.
If we had a similar tournament with football then the grounds would have been packed zim playing or not.

Zim Cricket is heading to mediocrity just like previous colonial(African) countries state of cricket have ended up
Well people used to always talk about how Bangladesh was so cricket crazy that they had a packed house for a match between Canada and some other side at the 2004 Under 19 world cup. Times have changed and years of losing, and the initial euphoria of Test status means that unless its a LOI involving Bangladesh the grounds are basically empty. Even a India-Pakistan clash at an Asia Cup would probably only see 50% of the seats filled. But I'm sure they are purchased either by individual cricket fans, or corporations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)