How Much do these guys really earn?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: How Much do these guys really earn?

Post by tawac »

Not sure how neglecting your most experienced 1st class players is actually supposed to be a good thing. If anything these are the guys you need on the park to pass on what they have picked up over the years, the does and don'ts. 2004 essentially throw kids into the deep end. Its actually a good thing to have old heads like Shingi, Vusi around.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

tawac wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 am
Not sure how neglecting your most experienced 1st class players is actually supposed to be a good thing. If anything these are the guys you need on the park to pass on what they have picked up over the years, the does and don'ts. 2004 essentially throw kids into the deep end. Its actually a good thing to have old heads like Shingi, Vusi around.
This is very true. I just dont think we will ever have enough money to keep both the younger guys and the older guys happy. We would probably have to sacrifice one side. It all depends on the vision I guess amd where people want to go.

I would have vision 2023. Most of those older guys wont be playing the time we get another chance to crack the world cup. Thats why I would pick keeping the kids happy and getting them some good coaches. In my theory the good older players like Mutizwa would still be in the system. Maybe I shouldnt have said Shingi he has good stats. But there are some older guys who are just hanging around for no reason and have no possible chance of ever getting picked again.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ljriley90 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 am
I approached Sean Williams about a proing gig at my club in 2016. He said he was on $7500 a month on his national contract.

Not sure if that will have devalued post world cup exploits etc. He never mentioned bonuses or appearance. Think it may have just been a flat fee.

Obviously blew our £4,000 for our summer season out the window!!
Sean also gets a lot of money from his bat sponsorship.

That’s also the thing about being on the national stage. The exposure opens up things like bat sponsorship.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well when you’re disclosing someone’s salary to make a comparison with another player based on their race then that’s inciting racism isn’t it?
Without knowing the budget it’s impossible to know what FC players should be paid. I do know that if you have 5 administrators in the entire country, because that’s all you need then you have at least 100-200 more salaries available where it counts- and that’s the players.
The senior FC guys are essential because thats the standard and even if they’re not national contenders they’re vital to the well-being of our domestic structures, otherwise we may as well have 4 u19 sides playing for a pittance and hoping there’s some stars amongst them.

When we went from amateur to pro here it was a massive undertaking and they’ve dropped the ball.
Corporate buy-in would be fantastic but I don’t see that happening. It would really lessen the burden ZC have imposed upon themselves by controlling every last aspect of our cricket.
If FC players earn on average $1500 a month or alternatively $700 basic and $5 a run and $50 a wicket. That’s $1,350 000 a year for the FC guys. If you average out the centrally contracted guys at $7500 that would be $1,3500 00 per annum. That’s about $2.7 mill a year for the pro cricketers. I’m just thumb sucking here. I know the FC guys get a lot less.
The players are the core of the business. We’re in a mess because admin have put their interests ahead of the engine. Why doesn’t someone disclose what the total admin salary is? I say again- we don’t need more than 5 and they don’t need to earn more than the lowest paid centrally contracted player, anyone on the Board must do it for free.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am
https://www.newsday.co.zw/2018/04/strea ... y-package/

Now this article got me really thinking about the figures involved here. When I said that I heard BT was on 35k a month a lot of people thought it was not possible. If Heath Streak was earning 23k do you not think they broke the bank for BT? Lance was on 12k. This is exactly why BT said he makes more money playing for Zimbabwe. This is also maybe why the Blessing/Jarvis salary comparison came up.

I know its obviously not a fair comparison but lets say if Jarvis is earning more than Raza which is most likely the case he needs to deliver the same way BT eventually did. He must be head and shoulders above the rest if he is earning a lot more than them just like BT showed. This is also why probably BT might accept the captaincy. He has a long term contract

No wonder why these guys are fighting for their jobs. Thats a lot. Whatmore was on 20k I think. What this tells me is that they wont struggle finding a new technical team. 20k a month is a lot of money for most coaches. Expect a foreign name to be announced soon. If they had any sense they would pay that money to Grant Flower.

Now this is not just about the players and coaches. If these guys are willing to part with that much money for a coach how much do they make themselves? How much is Mukuhlani earning for chairing the board? We need answers.

Those kind of figures are probably also why the majority of the guys like Taibu and Prosper are quiet. Just resign and reapply.

This is all based on the article being true by the way. You can never be sure
Market forces dictate a person is paid what someone is willing to pay for. That’s how a price on anything really is determined.

KJs salary was determined due to a dire need to get seamers of quality in our system. Remember chatara has been injured for a year, Blessing was just a rising star player, and Vitori was still illegal. Despite BTS legendary status, a lot of people here were saying KJ was the better signing as he filled the imminent void.

Does Kjs salary carry a weight of expectation? Sure.
However we don’t know his salary.
And even if we did and it’s high, it’s because we needed to pay overs due to the need.

Also 20k (I assume 20k is in US dollars) a month is not actually that high for a coach.
Without revealing my source, I can tell you that a former Sheffield shield coach of recent times dropped down to a 350k a season Aussie dollars contract to 80k in a retail role. He was paid overs in that role because they wanted his name attached for marketing and they acknowledged the mental health issue of a huge paydip overnight. The role should have paid 60.
350 in USA dollars is about 280 so what’s that? 24k a month. Makes sense.
Also at the same time, former England player Dermott reeves was peddling memorabilia in Sydney and from memeory he was chasing a coaching contract somewhere in the world of half a million Aussie dollars. Take from that what you will.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I actually preffered Jarvis coming back over Taylor at the time to be honest. We needed him. We still need him. I have absolutely no problem with him being around because I dont think Vitori will be back. I do predict however that both Jarvis and Chatara dont have a long term future with us because the Rising Stars project will keep on finding guys who are bowling much faster than these 2. If Mumba hasnt lost his pace he will be banging on the door soon.

We also will never be able to compete with big 3 salaries. Even if they are domestic. I do think we could pay more than a South African domestic coach gig role for example. Thats why Lance and Makhaya came. If they were getting more in SA they wouldnt have taken such a risk

Do you by any chance know how much the top club cricket coaches get paid in Australia? I really like the system ever since it was pointed out here. I think that system is the best solution for us. Few franchise teams.. competitive club cricket.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Well when you’re disclosing someone’s salary to make a comparison with another player based on their race then that’s inciting racism isn’t it?
Without knowing the budget it’s impossible to know what FC players should be paid. I do know that if you have 5 administrators in the entire country, because that’s all you need then you have at least 100-200 more salaries available where it counts- and that’s the players.
The senior FC guys are essential because thats the standard and even if they’re not national contenders they’re vital to the well-being of our domestic structures, otherwise we may as well have 4 u19 sides playing for a pittance and hoping there’s some stars amongst them.

When we went from amateur to pro here it was a massive undertaking and they’ve dropped the ball.
Corporate buy-in would be fantastic but I don’t see that happening. It would really lessen the burden ZC have imposed upon themselves by controlling every last aspect of our cricket.
If FC players earn on average $1500 a month or alternatively $700 basic and $5 a run and $50 a wicket. That’s $1,350 000 a year for the FC guys. If you average out the centrally contracted guys at $7500 that would be $1,3500 00 per annum. That’s about $2.7 mill a year for the pro cricketers. I’m just thumb sucking here. I know the FC guys get a lot less.
The players are the core of the business. We’re in a mess because admin have put their interests ahead of the engine. Why doesn’t someone disclose what the total admin salary is? I say again- we don’t need more than 5 and they don’t need to earn more than the lowest paid centrally contracted player, anyone on the Board must do it for free.
They obviously leaked Streaks salary because most people in Zimbabwe are formally unemployed and that figure will get to them. Its all part of the campaign against him.

tawac

Post by tawac »

Was thinking the same thing. Why not just make a sit on the board free. Then certainly all the wolves would disappear. Cricket being their business ZC really do need to attract the best guys available. The next few weeks will be interesting. It will give us a clear picture as to whether our players would rather play 1st class cricket in Zim or off playing some club cricket in the UK.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

tawac

Post by tawac »

The sad truth is that if all of Chatara, Vitori, Mumba were available KJ doesn't make the starting 11. Now does he warrant such a heavy pay check. I think not. Do we need him, of course we do. But it was just fate that the planets aligned for him and the ZC board's decision to bring him in seemed like a master stroke.

jimmylesaint

Post by jimmylesaint »

Ok i'm not good at maths but here goes. Working on 12months a season.
4 franchises 15players 5 tech staff. 40 ground staff.

Fact:Franchises get $10k a month to pay their players not on central/high performance +tech staff= 4X$10k X12months+ 288----$768k
Throw in 100nights in hotels at $70/person/night inc bfast + revs+fuel 105000+15000+15000==$135k
Game day lunch,drinks $1k X100=$100k
Admin plus PAs $18k X12 =$216k
Central/Hp- salaries Fact:BT and KJ get $11500 a month each for next 3yrs- cremer must be on similar and Raza the rest we'll average around 5500 a month,streak 23k,lance 10k,physio 3k,fitness,3k,analyst 3k,manager,chiketa means a wage bill of $2million
Ground staff X40 at $500/month = $240k
Rental of Cricket grounds 4x $1500 X12months= $72k
Balls/maintenance of vehicles/Whitewash/fertiliser/water/electricity= $700k
HEAD OFFICE=givemore/faisal/hrX2/accountsx3/ lets assume $1.5m for all plus stationary etc
I get $5,531 000 lets round it up to $6million
24-6 =18million a year i cannot acount for? What have i missed? Ok take away the $6m for ZC's debt then i still have $12m unaccounted for??? What have i forgotten??
Let's assume we have 3 tours to us, we average $1m /tour so $9m left?

Oh i haven't paid the ZC Board yet in benefits or consultation fees??? Or i haven't sent someone to Dubai to bring cash back in a backpack?