[MATCH THREAD] Logan Cup 2017/2018 Eagles vs Stars and Goats vs Rhino

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: [MATCH THREAD] Logan Cup 2017/2018 Eagles vs Stars and Goats vs Rhino

Post by Jemisi »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Good to see Elton scoring runs again too. He is an asset when he is in form. 42 and 95 this game. I think he got himseof out by trying to get to a century before stumps.

So we have Chapungu Burl Nyathi Prince Chibhabha and Zhuwao scoring hundreds this round. Lots of 50s too. This might end up being on the stats quiz. I wonder what the record is for a logan cup round in terms of total 50s and 100s.
I don't know the answer but it is a good question. Might put it up there.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I actually agree with the 3 FC teams idea if they are run professionally.

It is true you cant play with that strike rate at international level and thats something Mire has worked on. Quality teams just need to watch 3 videos to tell that you can have a long-on and long-off and pitch it up to CZ. Nicely disguised slow one and there is a good chance he will mistime it. Anybody else would just take a single down the ground so early

A lot of our players dont have that get out of trouble/get off strike shot. I think thats how they get in trouble often. Only Raza,Taylor,Williams and Ervine can actually get off strike easily. Its worrying actually. I dont know what the source of that problem is. Especially against spin bowling. They either pop it straight back to the bowler or get an lbw sweeping. The fact that Tari and Burl are also showing that weakness tells me it might be a coaching problem. Maybe its something they will learn but Hami after 17 years still has that problem too

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Chatara with a personal best 46* from 23 balls ... and Chisoro with an 8-fer. Kudos to both but also an indictment of the standard of play.

But Chatara always had the ability to connect with a few slogs, that was why I thought at the time it would be worth the gamble to promote Larry ahead of Jarvis, what with the run-rate getting out of hand and Jarvis, although a more solid bat, not known for his hitting. That put all the onus on Ervine. It's a moot point now and Larry could have very well gone first or second ball, but I thought then and still think we could have given us a better chance to reach the target.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Good effort from the Rising Stars so far today. I know many people have a downer on the whole Rising Star process but I personally think that it has been a great success. Has given young emerging players the opportunity to play first class cricket. Yes some will sink whilst others will swim but in the previous system there was no way to break into the four franchises which meant players drifted away from the game.

grant

Post by grant »

Tony Munyonga wasn't even part of our u19 squad but he seems to be doing okay. I remember he scored 74 in that List A game a few days ago.

grant

Post by grant »

What the. Chakabva rolling his arm over too now! :lol:

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Decent week for 19 year old Tony Munyonga, scores his first List A and First Class 50 against an experienced attack.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 am

It is true you cant play with that strike rate at international level and thats something Mire has worked on. Quality teams just need to watch 3 videos to tell that you can have a long-on and long-off and pitch it up to CZ. Nicely disguised slow one and there is a good chance he will mistime it. Anybody else would just take a single down the ground so early

A lot of our players dont have that get out of trouble/get off strike shot. I think thats how they get in trouble often. Only Raza,Taylor,Williams and Ervine can actually get off strike easily. Its worrying actually. I dont know what the source of that problem is. Especially against spin bowling. They either pop it straight back to the bowler or get an lbw sweeping. The fact that Tari and Burl are also showing that weakness tells me it might be a coaching problem. Maybe its something they will learn but Hami after 17 years still has that problem too
It looks extra weak right now because all the national teamers are gone. Or most of them. There will always be a few players who aren't quite good enough for that level. Nothing wrong with that. So I think 4 teams is fine. Almost makes sure every team gets to play ever round with an even number. Even in Country Cricket or Ranji Trophy...all the batsmen don't average 50+ or the bowlers under 30. There are mediocre players too. Guys averaging 35 with the bat or 35 with the ball, neither of which is really good enough for Test level. But that should give some pause for those who are calling for the selection(s) of guys like Mutizwa, Gumbie, Kunje, Kasuza and the like. I think only Mutizwa has a career FC average above 30. Players averaging 35 in County cricket or Ranji aren't good enough for Test cricket. Eg the Stonemans, Vinces, etc. So guys barely averaging 32 at Logan Cup are really going to be out of their depth.

And that is why I've stopped calling for Hamilton to be dropped. He will still go to the Logan Cup and average 50+ for a season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 pm
TapsC wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 am

It looks extra weak right now because all the national teamers are gone. Or most of them. There will always be a few players who aren't quite good enough for that level. Nothing wrong with that. So I think 4 teams is fine. Almost makes sure every team gets to play ever round with an even number. Even in Country Cricket or Ranji Trophy...all the batsmen don't average 50+ or the bowlers under 30. There are mediocre players too. Guys averaging 35 with the bat or 35 with the ball, neither of which is really good enough for Test level. But that should give some pause for those who are calling for the selection(s) of guys like Mutizwa, Gumbie, Kunje, Kasuza and the like. I think only Mutizwa has a career FC average above 30. Players averaging 35 in County cricket or Ranji aren't good enough for Test cricket. Eg the Stonemans, Vinces, etc. So guys barely averaging 32 at Logan Cup are really going to be out of their depth.

And that is why I've stopped calling for Hamilton to be dropped. He will still go to the Logan Cup and average 50+ for a season.
Stoneman and Vince not ready for test cricket is a big call I reckon, both are quality.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Well for all of the low quality, the team with the best bowling attack this round was the only one to lose.