All 104 ICC members to get Intl. status for T20Is

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

All 104 ICC members to get Intl. status for T20Is

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... nal-status

So, Zim can start planning T20Is soon against Kenya, Uganda, Burkina Faso and the likes. A top order of Zhuwao, Chapungu, Rinke and Coventry to destroy them... You'll see 200/2 in 10 overs. But can also be down 0/4 after 1 over against others.

Mueddie28

Re: All 104 ICC members to get Intl. status for T20Is

Post by Mueddie28 »

That's a ridiculous idea
They cut the world cup to 10 teams
Now they expand T20
They reformat the test 9-3 joke
No wonder corruption at ZC can exist...

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I am totally behind this idea. A pathway for say 24 ODI teams to come out of a realistic rankings structure based on these t20i results on top of the 12 test nations is much better and will provide a good basis for broader growth. Instead of just trying to pick one or two 'markets' that will grow. Very good news for the European associations.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

True, it's a good move to spread the game.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Its a great step to popularize the game though inclusion of T20 in Olympics is the prime idea behind this move

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

For me this is the end of cricket as we know it. Good move but if it isnt like that for other formats then whats the point? In the end test cricket is going to die first because the ICC had made it elitist. I give it 20 years tops. ODI cricket can survive with t20 if they open it up. But you will probably see the t20 world cup being far more popular and money making that the ODI one in that period too

Honestly speaking hosting 4 tests is 2 million dollars. That could sponsor a serious t20 league for us. Unless the ICC takes over the funding of test cricket it wont last.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 am
For me this is the end of cricket as we know it. Good move but if it isnt like that for other formats then whats the point? In the end test cricket is going to die first because the ICC had made it elitist. I give it 20 years tops. ODI cricket can survive with t20 if they open it up. But you will probably see the t20 world cup being far more popular and money making that the ODI one in that period too

Honestly speaking hosting 4 tests is 2 million dollars. That could sponsor a serious t20 league for us. Unless the ICC takes over the funding of test cricket it wont last.
Test cricket will surivive (I hope) as an antiquated niche sport, a most peculiar excercise by the 6-10 countries that will be able to afford to play it. In the near distant future, say by 2050. I can see there being only approximately 8 Test sides (ENG, AUS, IND, PAK, BD, AFG/SL, NEP). WI, NZ, SA, and perhaps SL as well will lose interest and money playing Tests and will stop playing. SA might be able to make enough money to surivive by playing the Big 3 a lot. SL might survive on the strength of their economy and BCCI support. NEP, AFG, BD, and PAK are cricket crazy so they will continue to play even if costs them money. IRE unfortunately will disappear and follow the ZIM route.

The only way this won't happen is if the ICC continues or decides to take money from the WT20 and subsidize the Test league (which they should do IMO, and prolly already happens given that the flow of money is always circular by nature).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I don't think tests will die too soon. But this T20 recognition move won't be the thing that causes their death.

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:16 pm
TapsC wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 am

Test cricket will surivive (I hope) as an antiquated niche sport, a most peculiar excercise by the 6-10 countries that will be able to afford to play it. In the near distant future, say by 2050. I can see there being only approximately 8 Test sides (ENG, AUS, IND, PAK, BD, AFG/SL, NEP). WI, NZ, SA, and perhaps SL as well will lose interest and money playing Tests and will stop playing. SA might be able to make enough money to surivive by playing the Big 3 a lot. SL might survive on the strength of their economy and BCCI support. NEP, AFG, BD, and PAK are cricket crazy so they will continue to play even if costs them money. IRE unfortunately will disappear and follow the ZIM route.

The only way this won't happen is if the ICC continues or decides to take money from the WT20 and subsidize the Test league (which they should do IMO, and prolly already happens given that the flow of money is always circular by nature).
Wrong NZ won't go anywhere. No way SL will either

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

And SA wtf