Match Thread -Rhinos v Stars (Pro 50)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Match Thread -Rhinos v Stars (Pro 50)

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 am

Yeah, it seems that the name 'Faraz' is actually of Persian origin and not a loanword from Arabic.
Tajiks speak Persian, too right? Is there any difference between Tajiks from Tajikistan vs Tajiks from Afghanistan? I guess in Tajikistan they are Shia and in Afghanistan Sunni??? Or am I confusing with Azeris in Azerbaijan...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:40 pm
grant wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 am

Yeah, it seems that the name 'Faraz' is actually of Persian origin and not a loanword from Arabic.
Tajiks speak Persian, too right? Is there any difference between Tajiks from Tajikistan vs Tajiks from Afghanistan? I guess in Tajikistan they are Shia and in Afghanistan Sunni??? Or am I confusing with Azeris in Azerbaijan...?
Tajiks in Tajikistan are Sunni majority, don't know about Afghanistan. And yes, we speak Persian, we call it Tajik/Tajiki. The Afghans call it Dari. Tajik, Dari and Farsi are essentially just dialects of the same language but there's a lot of differences too, especially when it comes to the accent and colloquial words. The script is different as well. I don't know much about Afghan Tajiks 'cause I've never met any of them.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Tajiks in Tajikistan are Sunni majority, don't know about Afghanistan. And yes, we speak Persian, we call it Tajik/Tajiki. The Afghans call it Dari. Tajik, Dari and Farsi are essentially just dialects of the same language but there's a lot of differences too, especially when it comes to the accent and colloquial words. The script is different as well. I don't know much about Afghan Tajiks 'cause I've never met any of them.
I actually have childhood friends who are Afghan Tajiks. They are all Sunni and they refer to their language as "Farsi" or "Afghan Farsi" probably as a result of more people knowing what Farsi is as opposed to Dari or Tajiki. Several of the Tajiks I know are extremely fine athletes (basketball mostly) even the guys who are fairly short at around 5'10" are incredibly good athletes. One of the kids is 6'6" and there isn't a basketball hoop too high for him not to dunk on, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:26 pm
grant wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:54 pm

I actually have childhood friends who are Afghan Tajiks. They are all Sunni and they refer to their language as "Farsi" or "Afghan Farsi" probably as a result of more people knowing what Farsi is as opposed to Dari or Tajiki. Several of the Tajiks I know are extremely fine athletes (basketball mostly) even the guys who are fairly short at around 5'10" are incredibly good athletes. One of the kids is 6'6" and there isn't a basketball hoop too high for him not to dunk on, lol.
Interesting. I remember you told me about this before too. Yeah, we're definitely a lot taller on average than the subcontinent people, based on my observation at least, but sadly I'm on the shorter side (I'm 5' 9''). I was into sports too, especially cricket, but I gave up after I ruptured my knee ligaments and then suffered from a major back injury as well.