The "good" years from 1992-2004

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The "good" years from 1992-2004

Post by jaybro »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:39 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 am
Stoneman Returns wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 am

Vusi , Matsikenyeri, Chibhabha or Chigumbura doesn't possess any talents, they could have done nothing even if seniors were present, they were skill less players pushed into the team through qoutas.

Their poor international records that consist of more then 100 matches, proves they were benefited by qoutas.
The fact they were pushed into international cricket early before their time and without any senior players hurt their progression and in turn their averages

The fact you can't see that shows how little you know Stoneman / Robot or who ever the fuck you are

Use the term " forced push " for being blacks as Zim started quota system by forcefully removing whites or senior players out of Zimbabwe.Its the black dominated board that started racism and destroyed the game. Those skills were just rubbish, played so much games more against the likes of Bangladesh, Ireland, Afghanistan, Kenya still have the poor career.U bustard jerk seems have less knowledge in quota politics
Bastard jerk good one 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Fact is the rebels weren’t actually ‘forced’ into anything, although I agree they needed to make a stand it was their decision to strike
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

jaybro wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:00 am
Stoneman Returns wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:39 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 am

The fact they were pushed into international cricket early before their time and without any senior players hurt their progression and in turn their averages

The fact you can't see that shows how little you know Stoneman / Robot or who ever the fuck you are

Use the term " forced push " for being blacks as Zim started quota system by forcefully removing whites or senior players out of Zimbabwe.Its the black dominated board that started racism and destroyed the game. Those skills were just rubbish, played so much games more against the likes of Bangladesh, Ireland, Afghanistan, Kenya still have the poor career.U bustard jerk seems have less knowledge in quota politics
Bastard jerk good one 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Fact is the rebels weren’t actually ‘forced’ into anything, although I agree they needed to make a stand it was their decision to strike
Rebels strike was mainly against the selection policy of ZCU who decided to push black players by the rule of quota system. There are many black players from South Africa who could'nt get success even on the presence of some legendary cricketers. Loots Bosman, Justin Ontong. Thami Tsolikeli, who was thought to be the one who will replace great Mark Boucher, but they failed.

Vusi, Chibhabha, Elton played enough but the skills were missing from them, they were just making a 11 side team for Zimbabwe. Seniors can guide, but the individual needs to be talented

From 2003 till now, only one man proved to be talented facing top sides, that's Hamilton Masakadza.
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Rebels strike was mainly against the selection policy of ZCU who decided to push black players by the rule of quota system. There are many black players from South Africa who could'nt get success even on the presence of some legendary cricketers. Loots Bosman, Justin Ontong. Thami Tsolikeli, who was thought to be the one who will replace great Mark Boucher, but they failed.

Vusi, Chibhabha, Elton played enough but the skills were missing from them, they were just making a 11 side team for Zimbabwe. Seniors can guide, but the individual needs to be talented

From 2003 till now, only one man proved to be talented facing top sides, that's Hamilton Masakadza.

I don't need a history lesson bud I'm very aware of what happened

To say Masakadza is the only talented black player just shows you either have no idea or you're clearly biased, or maybe a little from column A & B

Googly

Post by Googly »

No some guys definitely had the goods skill-wise, particularly Vusi.
There’s always been a mental aspect missing from most of our players, a lack of team spirit, a lack of belief, a lack of introspection what their own strengths and weaknesses are etc etc. They’re all mental issues leading to a dearth of BMT. The only three black guys that I’ve seen that you can see believe they should be there are Hami, Taibu and Olonga and perhaps Solly. The other guys actually look apprehensive, particularly when they bat, it’s written on their faces. Vusi used to look petrified until he was past 30, which therefore wasn’t that often. Actually De Kock used to have that look as well, he still does a bit, you can see the strain on his face early on, and it’s not that 1000 yard stare, it’s the deer in the headlights look. Grant Flower used to look like he was going to burst into tears, but he used to stick to his plan and a more gritty determined player would have been hard to find. I think he may have helped overcome his apprehensions by practicing harder and being fitter than anybody on the park, so in his head he had that box ticked, and it helped him immensely. We don’t have a single obsessive player, they’re all lazy, PJ may be our hardest working guy. You look at those big teams and read up what some of the top batters put themselves through and our guys are way off that.
Overcoming early apprehensions and believing that you’ve prepared mentally and physically and that you then deserve to be on the park with these fantastic players requires dedication, sacrifice and perhaps an indefinable quality that our current crop largely lack. It’s almost impossible within our structures and with the very limited number of games that we play to be battle ready.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We won’t get one of those obsessive guys because they don’t know when they’re next going to play, when they’re next going to be paid, if they’re going to be picked, or they may be comfortable enough that they’re not going to be dropped regardless of performance.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:51 am
No some guys definitely had the goods skill-wise, particularly Vusi.
There’s always been a mental aspect missing from most of our players, a lack of team spirit, a lack of belief, a lack of introspection what their own strengths and weaknesses are etc etc. They’re all mental issues leading to a dearth of BMT. The only three black guys that I’ve seen that you can see believe they should be there are Hami, Taibu and Olonga and perhaps Solly. The other guys actually look apprehensive, particularly when they bat, it’s written on their faces. Vusi used to look petrified until he was past 30, which therefore wasn’t that often. Actually De Kock used to have that look as well, he still does a bit, you can see the strain on his face early on, and it’s not that 1000 yard stare, it’s the deer in the headlights look. Grant Flower used to look like he was going to burst into tears, but he used to stick to his plan and a more gritty determined player would have been hard to find. I think he may have helped overcome his apprehensions by practicing harder and being fitter than anybody on the park, so in his head he had that box ticked, and it helped him immensely. We don’t have a single obsessive player, they’re all lazy, PJ may be our hardest working guy. You look at those big teams and read up what some of the top batters put themselves through and our guys are way off that.
Overcoming early apprehensions and believing that you’ve prepared mentally and physically and that you then deserve to be on the park with these fantastic players requires dedication, sacrifice and perhaps an indefinable quality that our current crop largely lack. It’s almost impossible within our structures and with the very limited number of games that we play to be battle ready.
Too many of the guys look like they spend more time at the local watering hole than in the weight room or in the nets. Many of them look disinterested, like its just a job they are forced to be at. Where is the passion? Where is the sense of pride? Apart from Raza and Taylor and Williams you don't see much at all. Hami and Cremer just look so apathetic most of the time. Even Ervine - who I rate as a class player - seems to reserved and meek. Everyone can't be Ray Price, but everyone should value the flag and the shirt that they pull over the head every time they walk onto the field. If that was there, you most likely chase 24 off 18 against UAE in the biggest game perhaps in the history of Zimbabwean cricket. As a guy who has watched these players keenly since around 2011, I can't say I was surprised. I was, rather, surprised that Zimbabwe were at one stage the strongest team in the Qualifiers with just one or two games left for each side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think Tino believed in himself a bit.

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

jaybro wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 am
Stoneman Returns wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I don't need a history lesson bud I'm very aware of what happened

To say Masakadza is the only talented black player just shows you either have no idea or you're clearly biased, or maybe a little from column A & B
At the current slot, its Masakadza only talented black cricketer who showed some consistency and his runs came against top opponents. Not like Vusi or Elton who faced weaker opponents more, but still averages in mid 20s in test and odis.

As per history its definately Taibu being one of the legend black cricketer from Zimbabwe. Check the top 10 run getters for Zimbabwe in test cricket, only two black cricketers are in that list Masakadza & Taibu
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:15 am

At the current slot, its Masakadza only talented black cricketer who showed some consistency and his runs came against top opponents. Not like Vusi or Elton who faced weaker opponents more, but still averages in mid 20s in test and odis.

As per history its definately Taibu being one of the legend black cricketer from Zimbabwe. Check the top 10 run getters for Zimbabwe in test cricket, only two black cricketers are in that list Masakadza & Taibu
Considering there were very few black cricketers to play Test cricket prior to the Rebellion and the limited amount of Test cricket Zimbabwe has played since it's of no great surprise there are only the two black players in the top 10 Test run scorers' list.

A look at the Top 10 ODI runs and wickets shows a different story with 4 black players in the top runs and 3 in the top wickets with Chatara only 2 behind 10th place Gary Brent

I don't know why I'm arguing this with you tbh

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

On paper we might have actually have had the strongest side in terms of numbers. In that mediocre tournament i think BT Williams Ervine Raza and Cremer would have walked into all those sides.

Im telling you what these guys need is psychologists. Perfect example I can think of is Musakanda's debut. Yes he has had issues but I will tell you the very first game he walked out there he was smashing it all over the park. Trusting his gut. I was completely shocked. This was a final in a tri-series. He had never been around that meek and toxic environment and he just played his game.

I remember how he got out. The ball before he smacks the ball for a 6 over long-on. It just clears but you know what? He believed in himself. Immediately after Raza(who trust me is one of the best players we might ever have but was not in the best form himself at the time) walks over to Tari tells him to calm down. The very next ball he tries to just defend a ball he could have gone after and he knicks it to the keeper. Raza has since changed that apporach and backs himself to deliver usually smashing a six in a high pressure situation. Look at how that change of mentality helped him.

Sometimes I feel these guys are just too negative. No killer instinct. We have opponents on the ropes plenty of times but we all know these guys will just give it away. We know that somehow we will lose a cluster of wickets in the end or we will let the opponents tail wag for a bit. Sometimes I feel like we need a coach with Mangongo's tough love but also maintain professionalism. Williams has that passion im talking about. We need more of that. The 90s team had plenty of players with that tough nut to crack mentality.