Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 am
You really don't like Taibu and Streak do you TapsC, you'll always find them at fault

Facts are facts Zhuwao is just a slogger, he looked out of his depth against the few quality sides in the tournament and he wouldn't have made a difference against UAE
This may all be true about one player but is it professional to name and shame him?

I got a question and I want to know what you guys honestly think. Do you guys think Burl would have been a better pick than Zhuwao in that squad?

I know he has a future ahead of him but im asking about this specific squad that played in that tournament. The narrative that is being painted now is that Cephas isnt good enough to be in the 15 man squad that played. This is what both Taibu and Streak are suggesting, he wouldnt have been picked if it wasnt for the board (as wrong as that may be ) but they are not talking about who got dropped for him. Tari had already been dropped for Williams which was obviously the right call even if he missed the first few games.

You can rightly justify PJ getting picked in that game but you really think Burl who actually averages less than Cephas in ODIs would have been a better pick in that squad overall? Just curious to know what you guys think.

This was also clearly now Streaks decision to want Burl in that squad as Taibu pointed out he now had all the selection powers going into the tournament. I dont see why Taibu would lie about that. He has no reason to

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Post by jaybro »

Yeah that’s a tough call on Burl v Zhuwao, for me it’s no question who is a better player ( Burl ) but he was terribly out of form. This is probably the reason I’m the end of the day why we missed out because we had too many guys in the squad out of form. But once again there was no cricket apart from the Kenya series to pick alternatives from.

I honestly didn’t have a problem with Zhuwao being picked although I was fairly vocal in saying I didn’t think he was the answer, I wasn’t critical of the selection because I knew Burl and Tari hadn’t done enough to be selected.

I was critical of you TapsC trying to paint the picture of Streak being biased by dropping Zhuwao for Moor and saying that cost us the win, you weren’t alone either as the board and half of twitter agreed with you.

As history shows picking Zhuwao wasn’t the answer as he averaged 20 and failed against the best sides Afghanistan, Scotland, Ireland and West Indies, so Streak and Taibu were probably right for not wanting him there.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 am

This was also clearly now Streaks decision to want Burl in that squad as Taibu pointed out he now had all the selection powers going into the tournament. I dont see why Taibu would lie about that. He has no reason to
Why do you keep going back to Burl TapsC ?? You seem to always drag his name through the mud he must be another on your shit list with Taibu & Streak.

You don’t know that Streak wanted Burl over Zhuwao maybe he wanted Tari? Plus if he really wanted Burl he could have picked him over Waller who was imo the luckiest guy to make the squad. In UAE at least Burl tried to dig in and value his wicket and whilst Waller just gave it away with zero fucks given.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 am
TapsC wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 am

Why do you keep going back to Burl TapsC ?? You seem to always drag his name through the mud he must be another on your shit list with Taibu & Streak.

You don’t know that Streak wanted Burl over Zhuwao maybe he wanted Tari? Plus if he really wanted Burl he could have picked him over Waller who was imo the luckiest guy to make the squad. In UAE at least Burl tried to dig in and value his wicket and whilst Waller just gave it away with zero fucks given.
Tari had already been dropped for Williams. Thats why he wasnt in the intial UAE squad as well. It was the right call even if he missed the first few games. You are right about guys being out of form. Thats why there was so much chopping and changing of the fringe players in the month leading up to the tournament.

You are also right about Waller being extrememly lucky. For me I would drop Waller Hami and Cephas and add Tari Burl and maybe Mutombodzi or Mavuta into the ODI squad. Time to move on. Well thats if we even exist in 3 months

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

it is a tough call, i'd say it'd be a heads or tails choice.
Cephas is by far the superior strength and hitter. But Burl tends to play smarter.

As for bums on seats when the national players go on strike . yes there will always be the useless who take advantage.
The bottom line is cricket is nearly finished with in Zimbabwe. The last chance is being fought over now- this current crop of ZC board and senior managers need to sling their hooks and go retire in their million dollar houses.
If government stays as it is with Mnangagwa in charge after elections then i think we will see good changes for our country and positive things regarding cricket with the bible clapping Zc scum scurried off to their dark corners .
Yes i'm white and i'll vote for Mnangagwa because i see a man who is able to SLOWLY change our nations destiny in a good way. And the opposition is just a joke, Chamisa and Coltart and Biti clueless dreamers.
Nxa!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jaybro wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:09 am
When the Rebel saga happened the 19's went straight in along with all the blacks and even when we had another big turn over after Carlisle, Streaky, Taibu etc quit after the India and NZ series guys like Rinke, Duffin, Meth etc happily took their places.
None of the current Logan Cup guys are anywhere near as good as Rinke, Duffin, Meth.

Besides 2011-era Mawoyo.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

Big indictment of Taibu and doubt about his own personal flexibility when it comes to perception he holds about certain players.

Al Cephas was crying out for was a chance, a small chance to be proven incompetent and despite several excellent performances in domestic cricket, which surely most picks we based on, they wouldn't take him to UAE even, where he was bound to fail as they insist and get him out of the way. Instead, as Taps insist quite rightly, they picked a struggling and slow Ryan Burl.

No wonder, ZC stepped in: in because of his ans Streak's mistake to the point where the lost confidence ans started feeling they could do better, the same way we too feel we select better squads than our selectors. Dint Chris Gayle give Cephas a heads up by the way? Surely he must know one or two things about so called technique, which Taibu hides on?

Mukhuhlani and company were entitled to their opinionated its only Streak and Taibu's clear failings and rigidity to blame for that.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 am
jaybro wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:09 am
When the Rebel saga happened the 19's went straight in along with all the blacks and even when we had another big turn over after Carlisle, Streaky, Taibu etc quit after the India and NZ series guys like Rinke, Duffin, Meth etc happily took their places.
None of the current Logan Cup guys are anywhere near as good as Rinke, Duffin, Meth.

Besides 2011-era Mawoyo.
Rinke was a good solid club cricketer and was useful when he played for Zim. He was better than Strydom for sure.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I once watched Rinke make 40 only reverse sweeping against some quite useful bowlers because he had a buggered shoulder, even when he was over the hill he was a good seamer as well. Basically a good cricketer.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Cephas should get a shot in the T20’s surely?
The people rocking the boat behind the scenes to get him a shot in these qualifiers perhaps should have thought of that? It just shows that there’s a little club there that will listen to their shamwaris gumming it about the white folk, have a few conversations with their mates who know the square root of fuck all, see if there’s some consensus (only time there’s anything approaching democracy) and then just ignore the system and make impromptu decisions in between the morning prayer at 8am and an extended tea break at 8.30. Personally I like the way he plays and he’s got loads of ability, but the way it was done was poor and smacks of meddling twats and a hint of racism. Being a body guard for that charlatan preacher who probably relayed the message that he was told by Jesus that Cephas should open may have helped :lol:

If we’d had half a system working you send him to face someone like Brent with the sidearm and have a couple of wise heads (Brent) assess him and give an opinion on whether he was going to do ok as an opener in the qualifiers, or perhaps if there was a spot at 7?

I think if we can put some hidden speakers where they assemble for morning thanks and get someone with a booming God voice telling them that they must all climb a light tower at Sports club and leap off to salvation and riches like lemmings it may take care of a few of them.