Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Some revelations from Taibu: https://www.thezimbabwedaily.com/news/2 ... -back.html
TATENDA TAIBU reckons Zimbabwe Cricket did him a favour by firing him as the convenor of selectors.

Speaking for the first time since Zimbabwe Cricket fired him and the entire Chevron technical team, the former national team skipper revealed that he was already fed up with ZC’s poor administration.

“Let me start by clarifying a few things,” said Taibu in an interview from his adopted England base.

“First of all I did not return to Zimbabwe Cricket per se, but asked for a short contract as my intention was to observe how cricket was being run, identify how I can help and then decide if it was worth uprooting my entire family and moving back home for.

“As far as I am concerned, I did all that and luckily for me that decision, on whether or not to move back home, was taken away from me.”

Taibu said his departure is ZC’s lose.

“They lost me, Heath Streak and all the other people who have either not applied or re-applied for the vacant coaching jobs. Zimbabwe Cricket came to me because they know I am good at what I do and I am not apologetic about that.

“If I am not wanted at Zimbabwe Cricket, then I will go to where I am wanted. It is just a matter of a phone call to the right people, to get the ball rolling, I will be back on top,” he said.

The 34-year-old Taibu also distanced himself from the country’s failure to qualify for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, revealing that his wings were clipped in the build up to the tournament.

“We can beat around the bush all we want, but the truth of the matter is that ZC is as much to blame for the teams’ failure to qualify for the world cup as the players,” he charged.

“There are so many things that occurred in the run-up to that tournament that people are simply not aware of. For one, I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun.

“The board had asked former MD Faisal Hasnain to inform me that I was no longer selector, handing over all powers to Heath Streak.

“It didn’t help matters either because Streak already had a heavy load of acting as selector and coach, but I believe there was also pressure from the board to select some players with Cephas Zhuwao being one of them.

“He is a phenomenal striker of the ball, but that is where it ends. He is one-dimensional and should not have been in that squad. Also, the players went on strike over non-payment of allowances the day before the West Indies game.”

However, Taibu maintains he has no ill will towards Zimbabwe Cricket.

“Don’t get me wrong, there is no bad blood between me and the board,” he said.

“I am owed some money, they have assured me that I will get it. I have since returned home (UK) to spend some time with the family and work on finalising my book,” he said..

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Just blame shifting. Taibu was a decent player, but he seems to have tickets on himself:
“If I am not wanted at Zimbabwe Cricket, then I will go to where I am wanted. It is just a matter of a phone call to the right people, to get the ball rolling, I will be back on top,” he said.
Sure, Tatenda.

The truth is he had the cushiest job in the world (he was basically doing the equivalent of "working from home"), so of course there'd be no bad blood between him and ZC - from his perspective anyway.

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Taibu: I was no longer convenor of selectors by the time the qualifiers begun

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Finally it revealed that club category basher, a big failure in the qualifiers, for whom racial issues rose against Streak was selected under the pressure applied by board, who thought all the teams in qualifiers will be like Kenya.

If Board members acts as a selectors, then why they needs to appoint selection panel & pay them.
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

Googly

Post by Googly »

There’s an interesting link there about Taibu’s assault of Esther Lupepe. There will be those who had wished he had Tyson’s ability :lol:
You can’t be fired for the umpteenth time and not receive payment and not bear a grudge, borne out by the comment, “it just takes one phone call to get the ball rolling and I’ll be back on top.”
Why doesn’t he reveal the pre-WC boardroom shenanigans? Is he saving the exposé for his book perhaps?
You write that stuff down you’d better pray Zanu don’t win the next election or you’re not coming home any time soon.
You can potentially insure against litigation when you write a book. Im told Flower may be suing Petersen for his barrage of derogatory remarks in his book.

Of course we don’t know the exact circumstances around Taibu’s employment and contract with ZC, but as an outsider it seemed obvious that it would end in tears.
I’ve never much liked Taibu’s role in a variety of things but he’s never been afraid to stand up for himself, which is more than anyone else ever did post rebel era.

I’d like to reiterate the fact that ZC is a multi million dollar business that hinges around one world class player, three other mrginal ones and that’s about it. None of these 4 people get paid on time or what they’re contractually due and then there’s about 50 other players of club standard that aren’t good enough to be paid but nonetheless are supposed to be and somehow the money keeps rolling in by the million? There’s more players in a single village in Yorkshire. It just doesn’t make sense and it will end very soon unless every single person downs tools until these people go AND they are not replaced by folk of similar ilk. I have grave doubts as to anyone’s administrative skills that is currently involved in cricket. Quite how that scramble for power would play out would be just as disheartening. If there were more than half a dozen capable people put forward, and half would need to be white you know it’s a waste of time. We’ve lost the faith in anyone else looking out for us and doing it right.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

It honestly didnt make sense for him to be selecting players from England anyway. I personally dont like how both Streak and Taibu are willing to publicly shame one player all because they dealt with the devil and got burnt in the process. Very unprofessional as far im concerned when half that squad is full of club standard players who they dont call out anyway. Did they honestly think they would come back to deal with the same people who abused them for years and things would suddenly get better? It was always going to end badly.

Unfortunately the players wont all strike because of the different treatment between domestic and national players. Notice the national players did not include their domestic counterparts in their demands through their lawyer. The reality on the ground is that there is very little sympathy for the contracted players because in the end they lost the most important games of their lives in front of 15000 loyal fans against the UAE and most of them didnt apologise for it. They bottled the most important game in our history and the sad reality is that day was their fault no matter how people can try point fingers at other people.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Had that rising stars money come in Taibu wouldnt have said a word

NickG
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by NickG »

Yeah right he wouldn't have said a word, although he has been doing the whole project for nothing right from the start in any case.

Can't understand some people, surely the point about Zhuwao is the fact that he wasn't a Streak/Taibu pick. And what on earth is the point of having a coach and selector with 300+ internationals between them if a clueless, non-cricketing board overrides their opinion and decision making.

ZC is in a desperate situation and you can't blame Streak or Taibu for getting their fingers burnt, they wanted to help their country but ZC failed them. Only ICC intervention or a change of government will save cricket in Zimbabwe...

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You really don't like Taibu and Streak do you TapsC, you'll always find them at fault

Facts are facts Zhuwao is just a slogger, he looked out of his depth against the few quality sides in the tournament and he wouldn't have made a difference against UAE
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

Bit damning saying streaky was the selector.
But also helping streaky by saying Cephas wasn't a choice anyway and was thrust upon them-which wouldn't have helped team morale!!
Would he have made a difference agaqinst UAE compare to Moors contribution-- unlikely.
The problem is these board members that play fantasy football and fancy themselves as selectors and managers insist on getting involved and that's where the problem lies ... on the Board members' shoulders.

All the players must strike and demand their money so that ZC goes bust and goes away.
I'd rather there is no cricket than allow a handful of these morons with an IQ of -50 steal our national pride as they have done for 10years!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

jimmylesaint wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 am
Bit damning saying streaky was the selector.
But also helping streaky by saying Cephas wasn't a choice anyway and was thrust upon them-which wouldn't have helped team morale!!
Would he have made a difference agaqinst UAE compare to Moors contribution-- unlikely.
The problem is these board members that play fantasy football and fancy themselves as selectors and managers insist on getting involved and that's where the problem lies ... on the Board members' shoulders.

All the players must strike and demand their money so that ZC goes bust and goes away.
I'd rather there is no cricket than allow a handful of these morons with an IQ of -50 steal our national pride as they have done for 10years!
Jimmy you're obviously in the know so do you think if the main 15 to 20 or even 30 players strike there won't be any glory hunters who will put their names up to play???

When the Rebel saga happened the 19's went straight in along with all the blacks and even when we had another big turn over after Carlisle, Streaky, Taibu etc quit after the India and NZ series guys like Rinke, Duffin, Meth etc happily took their places.

Looking at all these club cricketers taking their chances to get a cricinfo page by playing in the Logan Cup now I'm sure if selected they'd happily play for Zim
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement