Domestic T20 Competition 2018 : Zimbabwe Select XI, Zimbabwe Board XI & Kenya

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Domestic T20 Competition 2018 : Zimbabwe Select XI, Zimbabwe Board XI & Kenya

Post by Black Mamba »

Squad announced

https://mobile.twitter.com/brian_chemhu ... 470594?p=v

Sikandar Raza is in the Select XI squad

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Domestic T20 Competition 2018 : Zimbabwe Select XI, Zimbabwe Board XI & Kenya

Post by The Robot »

Mutombodzi, Mutizwa, Shingi Masakadza....
finding place in T20s....Akram, Masuku, Magrira, Tsiga is in reserve :)

Impact of Utseya
Robo to rule :oops:

TapsC

Re: Domestic T20 Competition 2018 : Zimbabwe Select XI, Zimbabwe Board XI & Kenya

Post by TapsC »

This includes everybody. I thought Raza wasnt involved anymore. Interesting. Or maybe they just named people without asking them first again.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 pm
This includes everybody. I thought Raza wasnt involved anymore. Interesting. Or maybe they just named people without asking them first again.
Expecting a lot of people to come back from the UK to play 3 or 4 games without the certainty of national selection and match fees.

That list will dramatically change.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Will be interesting who actually turns up for these games.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The final squads: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... ce-matches
Zimbabwe Cricket has named two 15-man squads, including most of their national players, to feature in a three-team 20-over tournament, including Kenya, as part of the build-up to next month's T20 triangular series. Zimbabwe are due to host Australia and Pakistan but player threats to strike over unpaid salaries have put the matches in doubt, though it now seems ZC is taking action to ensure the games go ahead.

ZC has paid one month's worth of salaries after the cricketers gave the board an ultimatum to pay all outstanding monies by June 25 or face a player boycott. At the time of their demand, players were owed three months of salaries and match fees from last July's tour to Sri Lanka and it remains to be seen if the part-payment is enough to cancel their protest.

Sources have confirmed that players are assembling in Harare over the next two days, and will consult with their lawyer Gerald Mlotchwa, to decide their next steps. The players have engaged the services of a lawyer in a bid to resurrect their player association, which ceased to exist since 2015. At the same time, Zimbabwe's interim coach Lalchand Rajput is also expected to arrive in the country at the weekend and the practice matches have been planned in order to for Rajput to get a first look at the players at his disposal.

Despite ZC sacking all the coaching staff following their failure to qualify for the World Cup, it has re-engaged with some of them. Former national bowling coach Douglas Hondo will coach one of the teams, Zimbabwe Select, in the warm-up T20 matches. The other team, a Board XI, will be coached by Shepherd Makunura, a former A-team coach. Anesu Mupotaringa and Stanley Chioza, who worked as physiotherapist and analyst respectively for the national team, are back in those roles.

The tournament consists of ten matches, two per day, from Monday until June 18. "This is a training squad which will, eventually, be trimmed before the final squad for the T20I series is announced," Walter Chawaguta, convener of national selectors said. "The tournament involving Kenya will effectively allow the new coach an opportunity to get a glimpse of the players in action."

Some players, notably former captain Graeme Cremer, allrounder Sikandar Raza and fast bowler Blessing Muzarabani have not been named in either of the two squads. Raza and Muzarabani are playing at clubs overseas but there was no reason given for Cremer's omission.

Zimbabwe Select: Donald Tiripano, Kevin Kasuza, Brian Chari, Christopher Mpofu, Sean Williams, Ernest Masuku, Tarisai Musakanda, Kyle Jarvis, Brendan Taylor, Ryan Burl, Rugare Magarira, Liam Roche, Tafadzwa Tsiga, Wellington Masakadza, Tendai Chisoro

Board XI: Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Hamilton Masakadza, Elton Chigumbura, Prince Masvaure, Peter Moor, Tendai Chatara, Richard Ngarava, Ryan Murray, Brandon Mavuta, John Nyumbu, Nyasha Mayavo, Mohammad Faraz Akram, Natsai M'shangwe

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So, this is much different from the earlier romoured squads. One would assume the availability has been checked as many names are missing due to their stints in the UK.

Does that mean Ryan Murray is available?

Is Faraz Akram qualified to play for Zimbabwe (if it goes to that level)?

Is this the end of the road for Waller? I thought he was still useful only for the T20s.

The Cremer situation becomes intriguing, with Utseya being a selector now...

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Utseya will arise racial card again, it will be tough for white players dreaming to play for Zimbabwe till he is in selection.

Non selection of Cremer & inclusion of Mutizwa, Mutombodzi, Shingi is some examples.
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:36 am
So, this is much different from the earlier romoured squads. One would assume the availability has been checked as many names are missing due to their stints in the UK.

Does that mean Ryan Murray is available?

Is Faraz Akram qualified to play for Zimbabwe (if it goes to that level)?

Is this the end of the road for Waller? I thought he was still useful only for the T20s.

The Cremer situation becomes intriguing, with Utseya being a selector now...
I think Murray is available because there is usually a 6 week break for SA universities around this time

It would be really sad if we lost Cremer to this situation. He needs to pick himself up. Raza I understand. He has opportunities. Chisoro I think can cover Cremer in t20s but we still need him back for other formats

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

No surprise that half the guys that got fired are back too

Just noticed Mire and Zhuwao are also missing. To be honest Raza Mire Cremer Waller and Zhuwao probably make our strongest t20 team. Thats half a team