[News] Zimbabwe Cricket holds crunch talks with players over salaries

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: [News] Zimbabwe Cricket holds crunch talks with players over salaries

Post by tawac »

If players were promised their salaries then the players actions have achieved what they set out to do. At list ZC now have it hanging behind their heads that if they don't pay its gonna get ugly. Essentially players have two beats of the cherry here. If ZC sell them a dud and they don't own up by end of July then they can boycott the Pak ODI series. Apparently the players contracts expire end of July.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Googly

Post by Googly »

So you believe they’ve won the fight because they’ve now been promised their wages? But they have to work for another month for free before they are allowed to receive their arrears? Those are some serious negotiating skills these halfwits have at their disposal. Ok let’s let them believe they’re really smart. Well done, boys, keep it up.
What’s not being answered is where did all the money go?
And whose pocket will the next tranche disappear into?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

tawac wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 am
If players were promised their salaries then the players actions have achieved what they set out to do. At list ZC now have it hanging behind their heads that if they don't pay its gonna get ugly. Essentially players have two beats of the cherry here. If ZC sell them a dud and they don't own up by end of July then they can boycott the Pak ODI series. Apparently the players contracts expire end of July.
I dont think its a win. Just fear. A players union is desperately needed. ZC will just keep on playing divide and conquer. They didnt pay the franchise players but paid the national players 1 month. Divisions already. Also after the Pakistan games when are we playin next? I think the games will be over by the time this new deadline arrives and with new contracts needed they will use this to their advantage.

Dont be surprised that come July 25 they will only pay the senior guys. They will then ambush fringe players by trying to negotiate lower wages for their new contracts whilst they are holding onto their money. Imagine being owed 50k and all you have to do is sign a new contract with a lower wage to get it. You are already on the fringes and you know that they can just give Elton and co your contract because you are fighting for your place. Worst part about it they can then threaten to not give you a contract and delay paying your arrears maybe until the next ICC payment in January.

With you on the fringes and no union nobody will fight for you. These guys are fully capable of this. I actually think firing everybody with the option of "applying for any position again" was a tactic to cut wages and its working.

When is the last Pakistan game? The players should negotiate a deadline in between the games so that they still have an opprtunity to boycott.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The seniors (most likely just BT, Jarvis, Hammy and Williams) want to set up a players union. And they want to boycott playing till a meaningful progress is made. Nobody turns up and chooses to play in the ZC tournament instead of showing solidarity for the sake of brighter long term future for cricketers in the country. They choose to go for the crumbs they get on the day.

Then they can't complain if the seniors get paid and they don't. But that's unlikely to pan out that way. The senor bunch have everything to lose. With thier group having shrunk to as small as 4, this could just be the end of the road for them with ZC just succeeding in one more divide and conquer attempt.

Obviously the Chigumburas of this world would relish this opportunity as it brings a highly unlikely national contract on to the table. The guys playing now are playing smart for their benefit. BT would have already realized that this is a listing battle.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What will also conveniently be forgotten is how desperately they need Taylor in the side. There’s a complete lack of ability to learn from the past or see past tomorrow. Taylor is key to any veneer of respectability as a side, closely followed by Raza. We’re going into battle with a club side. The format will probably make it not look like too much of a shagging. We need to push for five over cricket.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 am
Obviously the Chigumburas of this world would relish this opportunity as it brings a highly unlikely national contract on to the table.
Chigumbura may get a recall to the national team. But to give him a central contract would be ludacris. Will be interesting to see the final list of players who will actually get central contracts going forward. We should be looking to keeping the younger guys Burl, Masukanda, Muzarabani.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Hearing Walter Chawaguta's interview on the Dean du Plessis's show, it is almost certain that Kamunhukamwe and Musakanda would be rewarded for their recent form, as well as there would be comebacks for Chigumbura and Maruma. He rated Maruma highly in that interview...

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Brendan Taylor, Sikandar Raza, Craig Ervine, Graeme Cremer and Sean Williams will all be absent from the Zimbabwe team for the tri-series against Australia and Pakistan, essentially because they haven't been paid.
https://twitter.com/tristanholme/status ... 3639333888

Ervine won't be missed as he was not a T20 regular, but the others are a big blow, but expected. I wonder how ZC got Jarvis and Hammy out of this group...