Zimbabwe Head Coach hunt: 8 Shortlisted

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Zimbabwe Head Coach hunt: 8 Shortlisted

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

According to this report, the following 8 are being considered for the top coach spot. Rajput is only there on 3 months contract for now: https://www.newzimbabwe.com/seven-vie-f ... oach-post/

Lalchand Rajput (Ind)
Douglas Hondo (Zim)
Lance Klusener, Geoffrey Toyana, Anton Roux (RSA)
Colin Siller (Sco)
Andy Moles (Eng)
Nathan Dodd (Aus)

It could be between Rajput, Toyana and Moles if they are serious. Surely, Hondo for top job is silly.
ZIMBABWE Cricket (ZC) moved a step closer towards appointing a substantive coach after interviewing seven of the eight shortlisted candidates for the senior national team head coach post left vacant by former captain Heath Streak in April.

Although ZC appointed Lalchand Rajput from India on an interim basis from June 1 to August 31, they are still in the hunt for a substantive coach as they look to start afresh after the disappointment of the national team’s failure to qualify for next year’s World Cup.

Rajput will have an opportunity to prove that he deserves the job full time, when he takes charge of Zimbabwe in the upcoming triangular T20 series involving Australia and Pakistan in Harare in early July before a five-match OSI series against Pakistan in Bulawayo from July 13-22.

A new substantive national team coach is expected to be named after the ODI series against Pakistan.

According to the schedule of interviews in possession of NewZimbabwe.com, the former Afghanistan coach was also among the seven coaches interviewed on Wednesday along with one Zimbabwean, two South Africans, one Englishman, a Scotsman and one Australian.

Former Zimbabwe bowler Douglas Hondo, who played nine Test matches and 56 ODIs is local gunning for the top post having previously served Zimbabwe ‘A’ coach and national team bowling coach.

South African Lance Klusener, who served as batting coach before he was fired together with Streak in April was also interviewed for the job while former national team fitness trainer declined to be interviewed despite being shortlisted for the post.

Former Highveld Lions coach Geoffrey Toyana is one of the two South Africans that were interviewed for the job together with Anton Roux, who is the current assistant coach of Otago in New Zealand domestic cricket.

Scotsman Colin Siller, who has previously served as national coach of cricket minnows Fiji, former New Zealand coach Andy Moles and Australian Nathan Dodd complete the list of coaches vying for the Zimbabwe job.

TapsC

Re: Zimbabwe Head Coach hunt: 8 Shortlisted

Post by TapsC »

Lance Klusener was interviewed? Wow... I thought he was done with ZC. I suspect that when these guys actually pay you, the money is good. Its the only thing that makes sense. That $23k a month figure must have caught a few peoples attention. Not a lot by Australian or English standards but im sure thats a lot for most countries if you see somebody willing to leave an assistant coaching role in NZ to join this circus. Very interesting list.

It also got me thinking who actually didnt reapply with ZC besides Streak, Bell and Mangongo. The other guys seem to have cracked

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Sean Bell was burnt pretty badly. He swore blind he would never work with ZC again after the way he was handled.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:29 am
Sean Bell was burnt pretty badly. He swore blind he would never work with ZC again after the way he was handled.
The odd thing is he actually applied for the job but declined to be interviewed. Guess he had a second thought.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

tawac wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am
sloandog wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:29 am
The odd thing is he actually applied for the job but declined to be interviewed. Guess he had a second thought.
Ah really, I never knew that?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Andy Moles would be a good appointment, losts of experience which is what we need right now.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Colin Siller :lol: :lol: :lol:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:47 am
Colin Siller can always be relied on to throw his hat into the ring every couple of years.
viewtopic.php?p=126387#p126387

Just give the poor bloke the job, he's been applying for it for over a decade. He'd probably do it for free given how much he covets it :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Haha I cracked up when I saw Sillers name on the back of that post from last month.

I think if zim do ok in the next two months it will be Rajput 100 percent
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm
Just give the poor bloke the job, he's been applying for it for over a decade. He'd probably do it for free given how much he covets it :lol:
:lol:

Probably this was the best chance for anusha gamage too.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I reckon they will go with Toyana.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes