Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 [ Australia , Zimbabwe & Pakistan ] : Zimbabwe Squad declared

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 [ Australia , Zimbabwe & Pakistan ] : Zimbabwe Squad declared

Post by Googly »

I had a brief conversation with one of the U19 batsmen a few weeks ago. He’d had aspirations of being a pro cricketer, and he’s ok by our standards. He told me he had a sickening reality check almost immediately at the WC and that he should just try to enjoy the experience and not seriously consider trying to pursue professional cricket because he could never hope to be as good as the top guys that he watched and played against. Cricket is at a new level and we’ve gone in reverse.
I’ve watched a few of Ollie Pope’s innings of late, he’s just turned 20 and plays for Surrey. I’m fairly sure he will play for England within a year or so. He’s absolutely brilliant, I think he’s averaging close to 90 so far this season in red ball. The frightening thing is that there’s about 10 guys his age dotted around England that are fairly similar. There are 17 and 18 year olds playing in County twos and making big scores against professional bowlers. We don’t have one batsman that age that could last two overs against the new ball.

Googly

Re: Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 [ Australia , Zimbabwe & Pakistan ] : Zimbabwe Squad declared

Post by Googly »

Our problem has always been quality young batters. PJ and Burl have flattered to deceive. They’re good, but they’re definitely not dominating at the top level. Tari will probably not be dissimilar, in fact I predict he will not be as good. He does well with his attacking style domestically but I think you’ll find he won’t be able to take that into better opposition.
I’ve just watched Ed Byrom start a good run chase for Somerset who were set 300 by Essex off 50 overs in the 4th innings. He’s a really good player, he’s so hung up on playing Pujara type innings that he forgets he’s got the shots. I’d just settled down hoping I’d watch him get a ton and he ran himself out. It will come, he can play.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The calibre of batting has increased bigly over the last 15 years. T20 cricket has brought skill sets to the game that are just outrageous, just watch the England ODI team at the moment. Of course T20 cricket is where Zimbabwe is most out of its depth.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, that England ODI lineup looks marvellous. It has been going from strength to strength for the last couple of years. Possibly one of the best ODI lineups of all time. T20s have definitely had a massive impact.

This is the same England against whom Zim had won 6 of their first 8 ODIs.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think England are overrated, 481 and 444 aside. Let them rack up even 350 consistently away from dead flat pitches with most likely 60 meter ropes. Not saying another team will break 481 anytime soon ( I don't think even England can top that in the next couple of years).

But England will got to the WC semis and then choke, possibly to Afghanistan.

Only other team you are safer betting on NOT winning an ICC event is South Africa. Nepal will probably win an ICC event before England, and for sure before South Africa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

England will defeat New Zealand in the final and win the 2019 CWC, you heard it here first.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya that England team are something, so are India. Even though Morgan has the most runs and is captain there’s a couple of guys I’d pick ahead of him, Ali is questionable as well. They’re damned good but there’s other guys out there. I don’t think Tom Curran should be there and it’s a year too soon for Sam, they’ve rushed those guys a bit. Anyway they can afford to have Sam develop within the side. I want to see him bat higher up and take more responsibility, he’s a great batsman just waiting to blossom.
These days if they have wickets in hand at 30 overs they just T off like a T20. Both these sides have so many good players coming through it’s frightening. NZ are fantastic as well, when Guptil is running hot he’s as good as anyone. There’s a young NZ guy, Tom Bruce, playing in England at the moment, he’s a destructive batsman as well. I watched a canny captain talk to his bowlers and dry up his runs though, so he’s not the finished article yet. 500 is definitely on the cards within the next couple of years. I remember when 250 used to be a big total. I don’t think Zim vs England next year would have been a pretty sight.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Just watch this Pope lad. He’s some player I tell you. I’ve gone wow about two youngsters- Gill from India and Pope.
How does a 20 year old in County cricket bat like that? They should open with him and see how he goes. I watched him warm up, those Poms love their soccer warm ups, you must see him play football as well, just a scary athlete.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think the biggest issue we face now is that we are losing kids at a much younger age now. I think we are capable of producing 1 quality youngster every couple of years which would be ok but more often than not they leave earlier than previously.

Welch Byrom Lake Matigimu and the Curran brothers would have been more than good enough. I also think the ICC grant is supoosed to be a development grant used to pay for all of the youth facilities we talking about. The domestic franchize system and club would be almost self-sustaining in a normal economy. What we need to know is how exactly that 9 million is spent. A breakdown is key.

In other news looks like they ended up picking Hami over Tari

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://twitter.com/larry_moyo/status/1 ... 0140097536

Larry Moyo

@larry_moyo

Hamilton Masakadza wins battle for Zim cricket team captaincy with Tarisai Musakanda for T20 tri-series involving Australia and Pakistan. I am told some in the technical team preferred Musakanda

quite interesting if so, quite good that they didn't throw in the young Musakanda in the deep end. and quite interesting that the board would return to the old horse, didn't think they would consider him after the disastrous 2016 WT20 where he and DW were dismissed. no wonder why Tiba said 'Thanks for owning up that captaincy is an offer you couldn't resist, no hard feelings. However, Just a gentle reminder! it will come to pass, then what?' me thinks IMHO he saw it as a great betrayal that he should have stood up to the board and that he probably sold BT down the river by not standing with him.. time will tell