Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 [ Australia , Zimbabwe & Pakistan ] : Zimbabwe Squad declared

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 [ Australia , Zimbabwe & Pakistan ] : Zimbabwe Squad declared

Post by kudet »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:28 pm
I think the biggest issue we face now is that we are losing kids at a much younger age now. I think we are capable of producing 1 quality youngster every couple of years which would be ok but more often than not they leave earlier than previously.

Welch Byrom Lake Matigimu and the Curran brothers would have been more than good enough. I also think the ICC grant is supoosed to be a development grant used to pay for all of the youth facilities we talking about. The domestic franchize system and club would be almost self-sustaining in a normal economy. What we need to know is how exactly that 9 million is spent. A breakdown is key.

In other news looks like they ended up picking Hami over Tari
ZC should have worked hand in hand with academies like howzat, or even the Heath Streak Academy to further develop the identified youngsters or so to ensure that we dont keep on bleeding talent to other nations, but i really wonder what the current director of cricket affairs job is all about if they dont utilise such opportunities

i now understand that Alistair Campbell is starting his own High Performance Centre in November (if i am not mistaken). You will see that the initiative will never be supported by ZC, Shame on us, a real shame :oops:

Googly

Re: Tri Nation T20 Series 2018 [ Australia , Zimbabwe & Pakistan ] : Zimbabwe Squad declared

Post by Googly »

Where is the Campbell Academy going to be based?
You’ve got the Streak Academy- can’t comment as I don’t know what happens there.
The Howzat Academy- they have quite a few youngsters, have made huge effort to bring professional people to help cricket and it’s inevitably poorly attended because no one really gives a fuck or wants to get better here. They’ve done their best to help, but because they can’t do it for free it’s poorly attended by senior players despite Brent being a fine professional and a rock solid no bullshit gentleman. They had a world class spin coach here a while ago and attendance was almost zero because ZC clearly didn’t endorse it and the sheep coaches didn’t want to be seen to be doing anything that may be frowned upon. If anyone has to dip into their personal pockets here for so much as a dollar most won’t bother, everything is expected to be laid on, despite years of being let down. The vast majority of the players would rather sit under a tree if they have to pay for anything.

The RS initiative- based overseas which I’ve commented on repeatedly.

Now I’m wondering about the AC Academy and who his staff will comprise of because he won’t be chucking any balls. There’s not enough interest for one academy yet now look. Why hasn’t he teamed up with Taibu or Brent?

An Academy implies that aspiring pros are involved. The term is used quite loosely though and more often than not it’s usually parents paying for their kids or perhaps a school or two using the facilities. All will be revealed shortly I assume.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

ATM details about the academy are still scatchy.. came across it on the twitter streets, where most of the action seems to be happening.. and they seem to be catering for both local and int'l players.. here is the link

https://twitter.com/ACHPP1/status/1012336807135072256

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

There really should have been no other choice, other than Moor / Mire. Not that they are best suited, but it is a middle ground. But then, ZC...

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think he lives in Cape Town, not that he needs to be based wherever he’s planning his Academy.
The Gary Kirsten Academy is in Cape Town and he’s got a very good set up, with some serious coaches and he is actively involved. The bulk of his customers are aspiring overseas young players, particulary northern hemisphere. It’s an all inclusive package including accommodation in a big house, gym membership, meals, affiliation to local clubs etc They have sports psychologists, boot camp hikes around Table mountain etc etc. I know about 8 guys now that have been there now and they speak very highly of it. They make it a coaches vs players scenario so the players have to bond and work as a team or the going gets tough. I’ve seen a few of the players’ reports generated after their stint there and they also liase with the country or team that the players come from on a weekly basis. It’s very professional.
The English in particular like it because of the exchange rate. I think his son was there so hopefully they get some good ideas.
Last edited by Googly on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The famous Lehman Academy is a similar concept, but probably more emphasis on fitness and I’m guessing ball tampering :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kirsten’s main coach is Ryan Cook (Stephen’s brother), the guy is a damned good coach. I watched him this Christmas, he has a short sidearm with a funny ball developed in India that he bowls spin out the back of the sidearm that is extraordinary. It baffles the best players and you have to learn to read it only off the pitch. He’s an absolute wizard with it.
I see De Kock is endorsing a spin mat that looks fairly useful as well. Grant Flower has a very good drill for spin. He makes the batsmen take their front pad off. If you want to see a batsman out of his comfort zone you need to watch this. :lol:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So Hamilton is officially the skipper. Does he have any self respect though? He was thrown out unceremoniously by the same ZC without a proper shot at it, and now he is allowing the same ZC to use him to divide the camp.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

It seems none of the guys care about anything. BT and a few of the older guys seem to be the only level headed players with any care or concern for Zim. BT gave up the luxury of the county scene to come back to Zim knowing full well the repercussions.

To think that after the ODIs we do not have another home series for 13 months...what kind of board does that. What kind of board are we allowing to exist. All that talk after the WCQ of change and now people saying to wait for elections, like democracy has ever been a thing in Zim over the last ten or so years. Everyone seems to have dirt on someone that could bring them down but no one wants to release it. Spent last night asking Alan Butcher how we can invest in Zim cricket and see results and he gave some ideas, but also warned that ultimately those ideas are in a structure that is set up correctly with a proper board and a proper union.

People are sitting and waiting on the wings for the opportunity to jump in to Zim cricket. Talking about big names, big companies, and serious investment, but it's the same old same old.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Who is the vice captain ?