Christopher Mpofu: How do you evaluate his 14 years international career ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Christopher Mpofu: How do you evaluate his 14 years international career ?

Post by Detective RDS »

I feel every player should be open to constructive criticism from fans.

Players like Elton Chigumbura & Hamilton Masakadza have faced a lot of criticism from fans, from what I noticed. Justice Chibhabha is a complete international failure, rightly pointed out. But one thing which is beyond my understanding is how Christopher Mpofu espaced from the criticism. Although Hamilton & Elton are out of form recently, they did have some success with Zim in the past which will be definitely more success than Mpofu's.

I think it's time we take a closer look at Christopher Mpofu's career. He made his debut back in 2004. Tinashe Panyangara, Tawanda Mupariwa, Edward Rainsford are some of the pacers who also made their debuts during that time. They all have disappeared from the scene now.

How do you evaluate his 14 years international career so far ? I can't remember any of his telling contribution. He may have performed domestically & held his place in his domestic side all these years. From what I can remember, he was always expensive in international cricket and not taking wickets.

I'm not sure if I'm too hard on him. But it was surprising to see him picked over Donald Tiripano in the tri series 4th match against Pakistan. He did perform in the preceeding practice T20 matches but had an expensive outing against Australia Finch 172 match. Also add that Donald Tiripano did tie an ODI match couple of years ago defending 4 runs against WI. That's no joke and I think Tiripano should have been backed.

Right now, in the pace department, Kyle Jarvis and Blessing Muzarabani are certain. Young pacers like Donald Tiripano, Nevill Madziva, Carl Mumba etc should be preferred over Christopher Mpofu.

Thoughts ?
Last edited by Detective RDS on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Googly

Re: Christopher Mpofu: How do you evaluate his 14 years international career ?

Post by Googly »

Alan Butcher backed him to the hilt as did Streak, but his days are numbered for sure. He’s a good bowler and a nice bloke.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

He wont last long with Streak gone

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Mpofu may lack eye-catching performances but I don't seem to remember too many shockers either. He brings a degree of control with his bowling and does seem to always try his best. That being said, it is probably time to move on from him in favour of Jarvis, Muzarabani, Jongwe, Mazdiva, etc.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Honest trier.

He'll never rip through an international batting lineup, and he's not a strike bowler so his usefulness going forward is limited. He'd be a decent 3rd seamer in a Test bowling unit I think, but guys like Muzarabani are the type we need to put time into in the future.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Mpofu tries to win.

He tries to build up the team.

He is not destructive.

He has been solid.

He has taken more wickets than any other seamers aside from Streak, Whittall, and Chigumbura.

He has been enjoyable to watch and I am glad he is still trying to make an impact.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Jemisi wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:49 am
Mpofu tries to win.

He tries to build up the team.

He is not destructive.

He has been solid.

He has taken more wickets than any other seamers aside from Streak, Whittall, and Chigumbura.

He has been enjoyable to watch and I am glad he is still trying to make an impact.
He along with other seniors will continue to make an impact unless they put Zimbabwe in Division 2 till then believe in Seniors, Chawaguta & Co and ZC

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I've been a huge critic of Mpofu over the years ( I remember in my early days having a big argument with Flowerpower over him ) I always felt he could have been a more attacking bowler with his height but never seemed to bend his back or bowl with any aggression.

But in his defence most of his cricket has been played either on slow lifeless decks in Zimbabwe, Bangladesh or the Caribbean as Zimbabwe rarely prepare 'lively decks' and we don't tour England or Australia.

In his last Test match which was the infamous Day/Night nightmare in South Africa he actually bowled ok and got some decent carry and was rewarded with 3 wickets. I feel Zimbabwe made a mistake by not taking him to the 2015 WC in Australia, I feel he could have done well on the hard tracks despite the fact they were fairly flat. The one game in particular that always stuck in my mind was the game v Pakistan @ the Gabba. Chatara caused them plenty of problems taking 3 wickets and I have always thought Bobby would have enjoyed bowling on that pitch.

In summary I think he's been a good and dependable servant for Zimbabwe and although it would be nice to think we can move on from him any young quick that comes through seems to get injured or lose form.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

in some ways hes underrrated in other ways hes overrated.

His value is of the paceman, hes proven to be one of the best death bowlers we've had.
Hes also surprisingly quick when he wants to be, pumping late 130's and early 140s here and there, this is huge by our low standards, but other than that hes not really dangerous.

I've always found him to be a 'hold the fort' bowler, someone whos not terrible but you'd love to replace as soon as you find some talent.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 am
in some ways hes underrrated in other ways hes overrated.

His value is of the paceman, hes proven to be one of the best death bowlers we've had.
Hes also surprisingly quick when he wants to be, pumping late 130's and early 140s here and there, this is huge by our low standards, but other than that hes not really dangerous.

I've always found him to be a 'hold the fort' bowler, someone whos not terrible but you'd love to replace as soon as you find some talent.
Given ZIM have only recently been playing in front of speed guns hard to imagine Mpofu ever bowling 140. Fastest I know of was from recent WI series where he hit 138 or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)