Tour of Bangladesh moved up to October 2018

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Tour of Bangladesh moved up to October 2018

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:55 pm
Hami
Prince
Ervine
BT
Burl
Raza
Williams
Murray wk
Cremer
KJ
Blessing / Chisoro
Almost perfect!

I won't mind Moor for Burl given his better success in tests so far, but your point of having more lefties stand. Prince looked good against the Pakistani spinners the only time I watched anything in that series.

Chakabva has good memories from BD and has saved a test match for us recently too. He should start ahead of Murray ideally, but if that does not happen, I won't mind having Chakabva in place of Burl too.

I just see Burl as a bit of a weak link at this point, and Moor and Chakabva are good replacements for that spot if need be.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:55 pm
Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm
Playing two leg spinners in test might be a great idea, as pacers are least effective in Bangladesh and moreover both can bat
Finger spinners have plenty of success in Bangladesh, there’s no way I’d be playing Cremer & Mavuta.

Cremer is clearly the main guy and I also think Chisoro would do very well, but the fact is our weakness will be batting so we’ll likely have to revert to the controversial 8-3 lineup with Raza and Williams doing plenty of bowling.

Raza is probably the 2nd best spinner now in the country so he can be looked as a genuine all rounder imo.

I’d even be tempted to play 1 seamer and play Chisoro depending on what type of pitch they prepare, Kriterion thinks the pitches will be flat but I have my doubts. I can’t see any of our seamers being effective in BD and considering there are already questions marks over Chatara’s fitness over 5 days I doubt he would even be considered.

I think we should play at least 3 if not 4 left hand batsman to try and negate Shakib & Taijul, although with Mehidy they have a good offie who could cause problems for the lefties.

I know the first test is ages away and who knows who’ll be available, but best case scenario this is my XI for the first test

Hami
Prince
Ervine
BT
Burl
Raza
Williams
Murray wk
Cremer
KJ
Blessing / Chisoro

If Zimbabwe plays 8 batsman, its one of the negetive strategy of drawing the test that too against Bangladesh, who still a weak side in test except few wins.Finger Spinners for Bangladesh has got success against the visiting non Asian Teams.But if you see the stats, Bangladesh is uncomfortable playing against the wrist spinners mainly the leg spinners as they are unpredictable with wrist action, variation and Bangladesh pitches will offer spin from first day. Raza & Williams might have some tough time as Bangladeshi Batsman are quite familiar in handling finger spinners.With the " Doosra" being illegal delivery now, finger spinners have become least effective. Sri Lanka's recent test series win came against Bangladesh in Bangladesh with Akila Dananjaya, having an impact with 8 wickets in that second test and Dananjaya is the one with lots of variation, can bowl off spin, googlies with wrist action.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... dan-taylor

Looks like Taylor is basically back. Next deadline is Aug 3, so hopefully all of the big 5 return by the end of the week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... dan-taylor

Looks like Taylor is basically back. Next deadline is Aug 3, so hopefully all of the big 5 return by the end of the week.
You never know in Zimbabwe cricket. One day we hear one news and the next day exactly the opposite.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I dont think Murray will be available if he is in uni. Personally I would go with an 8-3 as negative as it is. It was the closest we came to success. Isnt Burl a part time wrist spinner?

Hami
PJ
Prince
BT
Ervine
Raza
Williams
Burl
Cremer
Jarvis
Blessing

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 pm
I dont think Murray will be available if he is in uni. Personally I would go with an 8-3 as negative as it is. It was the closest we came to success. Isnt Burl a part time wrist spinner?

Hami
PJ
Prince
BT
Ervine
Raza
Williams
Burl
Cremer
Jarvis
Blessing
2 Tests that ZIM nearly won recently, the 2nd one vs West Indies and the one in SL...did they both use the 8-3? If so, 8-3 is definitely the way to go.

And frankly speaking, 8-3 is not negative if two of the 8 (Raza and Williams) are amongst the better ZIM bowlers. If Chisoro or Mpofu are one of the 3, then Raza and Williams are hands down better bowlers. That is a luxury, not a negative approach.
Last edited by Kriterion_BD on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 pm

2 Tests that ZIM won recently, the 2nd one vs West Indies and the one in SL...did they both use the 8-3? If so, 8-3 is definitely the way to go.

And frankly speaking, 8-3 is not negative if two of the 8 (Raza and Williams) are amongst the better ZIM bowlers. If Chisoro or Mpofu are one of the 3, then Raza and Williams are hands down better bowlers. That is a luxury, not a negative approach.
Yeah just checked the scorecards. ZIM played 8-3 lineups both of those Tests and nearly won both, so with this current side, 8-3 is ZIM's best combination.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

8-3 is not negative in these conditions if we have Williams and Raza bowling. Playing the 8-3 on a flat track at Bulawayo against NZ was negative, but on a dodgy spinning deck in BD it’s nit negative.

Akila from Sri Lanka is mainly an off spinner who can bowl a googly, that doesn’t make him a leg spinner and he’s nothing like Cremer & Mavuta. Also Nathan Lyon destroyer Bangladesh and he’s a stock standard offie much like Raza, Lyon doesn’t have a doosra and barley even bowls his arm ball. No point playing Cremer & Mavuta if you want two front line spinners play Chisoro.

I agree with Crimson PJ probably deserves a spot ahead of Burl and Prince so maybe I’m letting the whole left hand batting thing worry me too much.

As for the keeper from what I’ve seen of Murray he’s our guy with gloves and bat, not sure about his availability but if he weren’t available I’m not sure I’d be having Regis anyways. Yes he saved us that test v the Windies but his keeping to the spinners is terrible he’d be way too much of a liability. If Murray couldn’t keep I’d highly consider getting BT to keep and batting him at 6 or 7. Yes BT is our best batsman but the runs he’d save by not missing chances would be worth more than the runs he makes with his bat.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:53 pm
8-3 is not negative in these conditions if we have Williams and Raza bowling. Playing the 8-3 on a flat track at Bulawayo against NZ was negative, but on a dodgy spinning deck in BD it’s nit negative.

Akila from Sri Lanka is mainly an off spinner who can bowl a googly, that doesn’t make him a leg spinner and he’s nothing like Cremer & Mavuta. Also Nathan Lyon destroyer Bangladesh and he’s a stock standard offie much like Raza, Lyon doesn’t have a doosra and barley even bowls his arm ball. No point playing Cremer & Mavuta if you want two front line spinners play Chisoro.

I agree with Crimson PJ probably deserves a spot ahead of Burl and Prince so maybe I’m letting the whole left hand batting thing worry me too much.

As for the keeper from what I’ve seen of Murray he’s our guy with gloves and bat, not sure about his availability but if he weren’t available I’m not sure I’d be having Regis anyways. Yes he saved us that test v the Windies but his keeping to the spinners is terrible he’d be way too much of a liability. If Murray couldn’t keep I’d highly consider getting BT to keep and batting him at 6 or 7. Yes BT is our best batsman but the runs he’d save by not missing chances would be worth more than the runs he makes with his bat.
Nathan Lyon is a arguably the best off spinner in Test cricket at the moment. Actually I just looked up his record by country and now I think he's hands down the best off spinner in Test cricket. Absolutely top class bowler.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, Lyon has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. Subtle variations of his are delightful to watch. Ashwin will have his work cut out to prove his worth in alien conditions in this England tour.

Lyon and Maharaj have been highly impressive in the last couple of years. And I have really enjoyed watching them both. Maharaj has played the role of a bowling match winner pretty much from the word go since his debut for SA, something SA was missing forever - they probably didn't even expect him to take up that role and were happy for him to contain at one end and help the pace bowling superstars, but he has had other plans. He had such a great record even before he played his first match in the subcontinent last month.

This is where the spinners from the subcontinent have had a tough time of late. While they do well in their tailor-made spin heavens, they don't really have too many tricks up their sleeves once the conditions are a bit alien.