Prosper Utseya - The man, the myth, the bottom feeder?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Prosper Utseya - The man, the myth, the bottom feeder?

Post by Googly »

The forged coaching certificate does my head.
How’s that acceptable? A level 2 is so piss easy, to not bother spending a few weeks doing that at no expense to yourself shows a level of arrogance and assuredness that’s mind boggling. I think they should check up on a few other guys as well, seems there might be a common thread here.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Cheat

Snitch

Dog

Average player

A guy who’s average in ODI’s was 47 and people claim he was a good bowler ?? Cmon not a chance, his economy was impressive but remember his career started when Zimbabwe exclusively player Bangladesh and a good total was 170 for both sides. I’d be pretty confident his economy went through the roof in his latter years ( I think I started a thread about it a few years ago ).
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:27 am
Cheat

Snitch

Dog

Average player

A guy who’s average in ODI’s was 47 and people claim he was a good bowler ?? Cmon not a chance, his economy was impressive but remember his career started when Zimbabwe exclusively player Bangladesh and a good total was 170 for both sides. I’d be pretty confident his economy went through the roof in his latter years ( I think I started a thread about it a few years ago ).
I agree, it infuriates me.

His brand off off spin is nothing special. Its really Glen Maxwell level, Sean Williams would be at that level or higher if he wanted to be a bowler.

lots of teams have that slow bowler in the middle overs who just ties up the middle over. The only skill part of it is placing it within a 40 x 40cm mark, which isnt that hard when theres no spin and you run in slow.

Thats why 40 yr olds bowl these offies. Its why Malcolm Waller isnt that far off the pace. Even Taitenda Taibu.

WE at Zim, just picked one as a frontliner.

Usually, an offspinner picked purely for offspin has a degree of attacking ability and bag of tricks attached. Think Lyon, Swann, the Indian guys. Price is a slight exception as he mastered the art of accuracy, although he is in the same boat as Prosper to a degree, as he wasnt overly influental in tests.

In Prosper, we picked an all rounder without the batting.

That sais, credit where credits due, he didnt fail to keep the runs under control in a lot of games we were leaking. So in the noughties he deserved his one day spot amongst the rubbish around him, but many players can be Prosper if they wanted too.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It’s also proven that Utseya was supposed to be dropped numerous times but was saved by Makoni the cock sucker.

Alan Butcher said as much in his book

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:47 am
It’s also proven that Utseya was supposed to be dropped numerous times but was saved by Makoni the cock sucker.

I remember reading in his book that he called Andy Waller, Kevin Curran, Wayne James and Robin Brown the professors of negativity, and that Makoni never got on well with any of the white guys

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 am
jaybro wrote:

I remember reading in his book that he called Andy Waller, Kevin Curran, Wayne James and Robin Brown the professors of negativity, and that Makoni never got on well with any of the white guys
I think Campbell was part of the professors of negativity

On reflection Butcher had issues with pretty much all the people around ZC except maybe Heath Streak.

Interesting book but for me he got carried away talking about drinking wine and eating steak too much, would have been nice to talk about cricket a bit more.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am
sloandog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 am
jaybro wrote:

I think Campbell was part of the professors of negativity

On reflection Butcher had issues with pretty much all the people around ZC except maybe Heath Streak.

Interesting book but for me he got carried away talking about drinking wine and eating steak too much, would have been nice to talk about cricket a bit more.
Fucking hell tell me about it. Lord Butcher is in full flow in that book.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He writes well. I’ve just read an article he wrote about the stresses of County Two’s cricket.
What he never understood was the racial divide here in Zim. He saw the whites as being unwilling to embrace the new dispensation, which had some merit. He went out of his way to understand the black psyche here, but I don’t think he ever got a complete handle on that either.
His tenure was at a difficult time, not that there’s ever been an easy one.
This world wide obsession with canning coaches of failing teams has been something ZC has grabbed with both hands and needs to stop here in Zim specifically.
They need to find a coaching team that is doing a good job regardless of short term results. There’s no escaping the hard truth that we’re in a long rebuilding phase at best. One of the problems has always been senior players undermining coaches they don’t like, for perhaps less than professional reasons. If you had a professional and knowledgeable board they’d know a good coach and not be hoodwinked by “advisors” with an agenda

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am
sloandog wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You've read it haven't you, BRM? He really does go on about the wining and dining of Harare so much. Every chapter has at least 5 pages of his drinking escapades. And he slags off Signature, the best place in H town!! :evil: