Malcolm Waller pulls out from the odi series against Pakistan

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Malcolm Waller pulls out from the odi series against Pakistan

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 am
eugene wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Not really the point.
But it is the reality. Waller is no loss at all to the side and we may in fact be better off losing him. BT, Raza, Ervine, and Williams on the other hand...
pre rebel v2.0 saga sure, but with the fab five out he's well and truly in our top 5 bats.
Geez that raises a good question. Rank the batsmen in the current team...

1 Masakadza
2 Chibhabha
3 Moor
4 Musakanda
5 Murray
6 Tiripano
7 Chari

Is that fair?

You're probably bang on ZIMDOGGY, I'd slot Waller between Musakanda and Murray.

Jayb

Post by Jayb »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:50 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 am
eugene wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 am

But it is the reality. Waller is no loss at all to the side and we may in fact be better off losing him. BT, Raza, Ervine, and Williams on the other hand...
pre rebel v2.0 saga sure, but with the fab five out he's well and truly in our top 5 bats.
Geez that raises a good question. Rank the batsmen in the current team...

1 Masakadza
2 Chibhabha
3 Moor
4 Musakanda
5 Murray
6 Tiripano
7 Chari

Is that fair?

You're probably bang on ZIMDOGGY, I'd slot Waller between Musakanda and Murray.
wow!

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Such a depressing series.

No star quality in the squad, players in there who shouldn't be in there, absolutely no atmosphere what so ever around Bulowayo, and there's a feeling of helplessness.

Looking back on the Streak era, no matter how brief it was, we really had something going there. There was fantastic unity in the squad, we were playing ok cricket, players were being selected on merit, there was a feeling of excitement and expectation ahead of the world cup qualifiers and we actually looked like a half decent side.

This is the closest I've been to cutting ties with ZC. Nothing is going to change

Googly

Post by Googly »

Whilst there was more unity than we were used to there was clearly rumblings within the camp when Streak was alleged to have informed a couple of the white players of CZ’s non selection prior to CZ himself having been told.
The fact that CZ’s name was thrown into the pot I’d suggest was disgruntled parties within ZC making sure Streak and Taibu didn’t get too firm a foothold. Look no further than the likes of Makoni and Utseya.
Also when black players were individually approached for their version of what had transpired a couple did allege that Streak displayed racial bias by informing a couple of the white guys of CZ’s non selection prior to him knowing.
Clearly Taibu and Hondo also knew CZ wasn’t going to play and between the three of them they should have been a bit smarter about how it was handled. It’s clear it was a hot potato because he was clearly forced into the squad against their wishes (well at least two of the three selectors anyway)
I’m prepared to bet Streak was not the only one that confided in at least one other person that CZ wasn’t going to play, but of course that old card was pulled out.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 am
Whilst there was more unity than we were used to there was clearly rumblings within the camp when Streak was alleged to have informed a couple of the white players of CZ’s non selection prior to CZ himself having been told.
The fact that CZ’s name was thrown into the pot I’d suggest was disgruntled parties within ZC making sure Streak and Taibu didn’t get too firm a foothold. Look no further than the likes of Makoni and Utseya.
Also when black players were individually approached for their version of what had transpired a couple did allege that Streak displayed racial bias by informing a couple of the white guys of CZ’s non selection prior to him knowing.
Clearly Taibu and Hondo also knew CZ wasn’t going to play and between the three of them they should have been a bit smarter about how it was handled. It’s clear it was a hot potato because he was clearly forced into the squad against their wishes (well at least two of the three selectors anyway)
I’m prepared to bet Streak was not the only one that confided in at least one other person that CZ wasn’t going to play, but of course that old card was pulled out.
Hondo is a puppet in the bigger picture. I blame Taibu the most for how it transpired. There was always going to be disgruntled people hiding behind CZ whether he deserved to be picked or not. To me it all went downhill when they picked Murray and Mavuta for that tri-series as well when they left CZ out of the Afghanistan series. I wish I knew how to find the old posts on here because I said that the least they should have done was send CZ to the UAE and he would have probably have failed against Mujeeb and Rashid Khan like he did in the qualifiers. That would literally have been the end of that.

Taibu being black himself should have seen how it looked. I saw it. Waller and Burl constantly getting picked and failing. Not only CZ. Tari was also dropped for Burl when they were both hopelessly out of form yet Taibu was a big supporter of Tari saying he would never apologize for picking him. The race card was always going to be pulled at some point. He should have handled it better and this is exactly why he is now saying he stopped being the convener of selectors months before the qualifiers.Now he is using that as an excuse for why he didn't stop the racial storm when he could have.

He dealt with these guys before but he played along until the Rising Stars were cut. That was always his biggest interest. He is probably sweating now having realized that the ICC are coming in promising that money should be used for development but now AC and Tino Mawoyo are going to be the ones at the table with their academies. He didnt play his cards to wisely to be honest. Watch them try by favour amongst our white community and sponsor AC's academy

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya very valid points, particularly Murray’s selection, that pissed on a few batteries. The way people manoever here is very underhanded, there are very few that will just call a spade a spade.
Well it remains to be seen whether the RS tour will be resurrected, it would mean TT hoping he’s not completely out of favour, but maybe AC has covered that base already. We’re told that a lot of the RS tour expenses were covered by third parties, all of whom are TT’s connections, so they may well resurrect it, but of course there will now be interference and it will be someone else wanting to pick the squad. At the end of the day the more academies, tours etc there are the better.
The other really poor thing I forgot to mention was that all the good 13-18 year olds don’t practice like the guys did a few years ago. The misery at the top has a knock on effect and everyone loses interest. We’ve effectively got a gap in talented and committed boys now. It will first manifest itself in the next u19 squad. It will be our worst yet by a distance. We’re just falling further behind at an accelerating rate. There are u19 sides touring all over the place right now. Our boys haven’t picked up a cricket bat in 6 months, nobody knows what’s going on and nobody seems that interested.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Are there no talents of any meaningful substance at Under 19 level?

Googly

Post by Googly »

There’s young Shardendorff, there’s Muyeye who’s in England and not much else from what I can see.
There’s a couple of 14/15 year olds that they should think about at least inviting them to practices and see how they go. There’s Bhawa (15), who looks to be a very good all rounder.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 am
There’s young Shardendorff, there’s Muyeye who’s in England and not much else from what I can see.
There’s a couple of 14/15 year olds that they should think about at least inviting them to practices and see how they go. There’s Bhawa (15), who looks to be a very good all rounder.
I'm assuming that TJSchadendorf can now be considered another lad lost. No cricket in Zimbabwe domestically for him to play and no tours overseas.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I watched the England U19 play India u19 a while ago. I was personally there. The standard is spooky. Every one of those players would walk into any of our FC sides and most would dominate.
What’s interesting is that they play guys who won’t be eligible for the next u19 WC, but they’re still eligible today so they pick them to field a strong side because it’s a test against another nation and they want to win. There’s no interest in building a side for the next WC. Those boys are anxiously in the wings waiting their turn, they’re just polishing those existing guys up to transition into their leagues. We only have Muyeye that would cope in our FC, which as we know is not great. One kid??
The top England and India boys would walk into our national side. That’s the gap between us and the top guys. If you watch the likes of Shaw, Gill, Banton etc live you will wonder why we’re wasting our time. Back in my day the only youngster I knew who could play with men was Hick, now there’s a lot of them. Not just play, if you don’t get them out you’re staring down the barrel. We’re stuck in the 80’s.