[Match Thread]: Pak tour of Zim Odi Series : 2nd Match : ZIM vs PAK

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread]: Pak tour of Zim Odi Series : 2nd Match : ZIM vs PAK

Post by sloandog »

How about Adam Keefe, Googly? He was seen training with the Tuskers 12 months back.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Moor is batting with the tail and still continues to take the first single available.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

50 for Moor. Something from him. Has held things together without looking like threatening anything.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

And now he's gaaaan

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

well. a good struggle to a poor total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Keefe is playing club in Ireland I think. I’d put him on a par with Ives and Sly. Decent cricketers.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am
Keefe is playing club in Ireland I think. I’d put him on a par with Ives and Sly. Decent cricketers.
With the inclusion of Mavuta, Roche and Murray there's a slight nod towards the future. Hopefully these guys are taking note but, at the same time, I can't help but cringe at the thought of them committing to Zimbabwe Cricket, especially since they'll all be involved in better cricketing structures.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It’s not possible to commit to cricket here. FC doesn’t offer you a living. You either need support, or you need to have something else on the go that generates an income or you need to accept a very tough and basic existence.
Most of the guys are captive here, that’s the truth.
Our amateur cricket when we were trying to become members and the years following that was of a much higher standard than it is now. Club cricket back then was of a very high standard and all the guys had full time jobs.
The guys now would be better off with alternative employment than hanging around doing not much and not getting paid.
This national side they put out today would get well beaten by a County Two’s side.
Obviously it all changes if you get a central contract, but I don’t think it’s a great environment. By all accounts Streak had a bit of a good vibe going until the CZ issue reared it’s head, but there were still clearly a couple of players happy to stir the pot. Eeeish, no answers are at any level are they?
I did hear Campbell say “when the other players return”
We can only guess what that means. But those guys only paper over the cracks, the fact remains we don’t have the players.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I wonder how much the likes of Welch and Byrom earn. I have a funny feeling somebody like Waller could be on the same amount of money as them. Its a sacrifice we are going to have start making. This is why for me if I was the board. I would sit down with every single of these guys and find out how long they plan to play for. If you say a year or 2 then I would show you the door. We need to start investing in the future. The batsmen that is because I believe spinners like Cremer can play for a very long time.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Those club cricketing structures you’re talking about in England are basically regular weekend games, about 20 of them, and two net sessions a week after work. It’s not happening here and it begs the question why.
Once again I point out that the club players themselves are prepared to just sit under a tree and whine until ZC organizes the games and venues for them. There’s not a single club that supports itself to my knowledge. Whilst in part that’s a reflection of the diablocial state of our economy, you do have to question the commitment of the players. Some of these English clubs put out 4 senior teams and probably 4 different age group sides. No one is waiting for bus fare or a match ball. I watched a junior coaching session the other day and there must have been 100 junior boys and 50 girls playing 5 games of cricket simultaneously on one field. There were six level 2 and two level 3 coaches present. This is ONE club!
At franchise level it’s the same thing, complete reliance on ZC, and that’s not the case in the big countries, their FC teams generate significant sums of money.
If there was the interest in cricket we could surely aspire to at least a third of that turnout at ZC headquarters, I’m. not talking at each club, I’m talking at HSC, the home of our cricket. Everyone keeps whining but the fact remains there isn’t the interest.
We’re still waiting with bated breath for any age group stuff, never mind an U19 program to commence.