Confusing selection - ZC

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Confusing selection - ZC

Post by Mueddie28 »

Tiripano was a replacement for Jarvis but has started 2 straight games, he was not selected but made the squad due to injury ...
Chisoro was the better spinner during the T20 series but can't play a game
Chari has been tremble but he still gets game time
Mavuta an all rounder could help in place off Roche our batting lineup is useless ...
Streak had 7 or 8 pure batter with Sean William & Raza helping with the bowling

TapsC

Re: Confusing selection - ZC

Post by TapsC »

Yeah this selection panel is a bit dodgy. There arent that many all rounders though to play an 8-3. Losing Mire and Waller probably killed that. Tiripano just isnt threatening enough with the ball for me. Did they replace Waller? They should bring in Tsiga for him as well or Jongwe or Shumba.

What this has really shown is thay this country really lacks serious batsmen. I know this is one of the best bowling attacks but we should still do better. I wish I was a stats man because I would have wanted to show that even with our best players like Raza and BT we have barely been crossing 250 ever since we came back from Sri Lanka. I dont what the problem is.

I would try

Kamunhukamwe
Chamu
Hami
Tari
PJ
Murray
Prince
Chisoro
Blessing
Ngarava
Chatara

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Brendan wasn't there even when Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka and to be honest Williams and Ervine are good but not world beaters like Brendan, their loss is big but not huge, time invested in youngsters like Murray and Roche will be rewarded later. Hopefully with the ICC taking control of the money the youngsters will stick around in the future. Raza however is a very important player missing. Mire and Jarvis injury came at a terrible time to be honest.

When Whatmore was around he tried players like Jongwe, Madziva, Mupariwa.. where are they? Chigumbura is also a better option than Chari... His experience will come in handy at this stage.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

What you expect from a selection panel consist of a racist and two useless cricketers whose stats are not even club standard and are good in the sense because of demanding less salary or work for free

T Kamhukunkamwe
P Masvaure
R Murray
H Masakadza ( C)
T Musakanda
P Moor
B Mavuta
F Akram
T Chisoro
C Musoko
B Zhawi

Enough of Tiripano, Chatara Muzarabani, Masakadza it seems, they needs 1000 odis to get experienced and take wickets

Googly

Post by Googly »

No one within ZC seems to grasp the batsman story. There are a couple of exceptions (Petersen for example), but 95% of all the really good batters were brilliant juniors.
Taylor was unbelievable as a kid, look at Masakadza as a 17 year old. They’re our two most accomplished players. Sure Williams and Raza are ok but they’re middle order, it gets a whole lot easier once the ball is 10 overs old. BT, Solly and Hammy are the only ones that look comfortable against a world class attack up front. I won’t ever let up on this. We need to produce brilliant youngsters because you’re not turning a good batsman at 19 into an international one, it’s about 10 years too late.
In the last ten years we’ve had a small handful that stood out as schoolboys- Lake, Curran, Welch, Byrom, Curtis, Muyeye, Burl and Moor. The last two were the best in their age groups but have not progressed as well as they might because they are stuck in a system that plays very little cricket, and what they do play is not a stern enough test. They’ve stagnated a bit through no fault of theirs.
Curtis has given up, Byrom and Curran are contracted, Welch is probably a few hundreds away from being offered something and Lake is probably in a similar position. Muyeye is still at school.
I’m sorry but these lads are a different league. When you watch them set up shop and get a big innings underway they’re so much better than what we’ve got. If you’ve ever watched Lake, Welch or Muyeye set about a bowling attack, or Curtis and Byrom patiently build an innings we don’t have anyone close to that. We’ve lost those guys, certainly for the forseeable future. We’ve got a couple more that have potential and nothing is being done. If cricket still exists in a few years time, we’ll be having the same conversation.
In our tiny pool how do they not recognize the real talent, it’s not like there are dozens, it’s literally one or two every couple of years that you can do something with.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 am
No one within ZC seems to grasp the batsman story. There are a couple of exceptions (Petersen for example), but 95% of all the really good batters were brilliant juniors.
Taylor was unbelievable as a kid, look at Masakadza as a 17 year old. They’re our two most accomplished players. Sure Williams and Raza are ok but they’re middle order, it gets a whole lot easier once the ball is 10 overs old. BT, Solly and Hammy are the only ones that look comfortable against a world class attack up front. I won’t ever let up on this. We need to produce brilliant youngsters because you’re not turning a good batsman at 19 into an international one, it’s about 10 years too late.
In the last ten years we’ve had a small handful that stood out as schoolboys- Lake, Curran, Welch, Byrom, Curtis, Muyeye, Burl and Moor. The last two were the best in their age groups but have not progressed as well as they might because they are stuck in a system that plays very little cricket, and what they do play is not a stern enough test. They’ve stagnated a bit through no fault of theirs.
Curtis has given up, Byrom and Curran are contracted, Welch is probably a few hundreds away from being offered something and Lake is probably in a similar position. Muyeye is still at school.
I’m sorry but these lads are a different league. When you watch them set up shop and get a big innings underway they’re so much better than what we’ve got. If you’ve ever watched Lake, Welch or Muyeye set about a bowling attack, or Curtis and Byrom patiently build an innings we don’t have anyone close to that. We’ve lost those guys, certainly for the forseeable future. We’ve got a couple more that have potential and nothing is being done. If cricket still exists in a few years time, we’ll be having the same conversation.
In our tiny pool how do they not recognize the real talent, it’s not like there are dozens, it’s literally one or two every couple of years that you can do something with.
I partly disagree with you. More on technicality because it’s happemed often but I do agree it’s dekusional thinking the system can make this happen for our boys.

The Scottish number 3/4 bat, their best guy who plays county was a number 11 at first.
Michael Bevan was also a fast bowler that became one hell of a batsman.
Steve Waugh was a bowling all rounder who became a tip 3 in the world player.
Closer to home we saw streak go from a number 10 to a very competent number 6 and improving.
James Franklin was another tail ended who became a top order bat. There’s more and there names escape me.

it can be done as batting is very much mental application and cricket is littered with tail Enders whohave good eyes and technique. I would put money on that if Starc or Jason Gillespie wanted to become 40 average batsman they could do it. A lot of Aussie tail Enders like Ryan Harris and Johnson were averaging late twenties which is equivalent to our best, and it wasn’t their focus.

But yes I agree that withthw quality of coaches dropping and the lack of games and all the issues you presented then it’s highly unlikely. Black Zimbabweans also never come across as fighters (except Taibu). I think defeat is in their DNA. Same reason they aren’t joining the rebels.
The environment needs to be in order and facilities there to become a great bat from a good.

Murray seems like he is capable of becoming special and I could also see tiripano develiping into a batsman who can average 27-29 internationally at the top, if he wants it and gets the chance to cultivate it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 am
Brendan wasn't there even when Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka and to be honest Williams and Ervine are good but not world beaters like Brendan, their loss is big but not huge, time invested in youngsters like Murray and Roche will be rewarded later. Hopefully with the ICC taking control of the money the youngsters will stick around in the future. Raza however is a very important player missing. Mire and Jarvis injury came at a terrible time to be honest.

When Whatmore was around he tried players like Jongwe, Madziva, Mupariwa.. where are they? Chigumbura is also a better option than Chari... His experience will come in handy at this stage.
I would say Ervine is almost as good as Taylor. Yes Taylor has the marquee knocks and overall record. But Ervine is probably more dependable overseas. Williams is like a skinnier whiter version of Masakadza: good for one decent to good knock per series, almost always (UAE game was the lone exception) when there is nothing left to play for or when the team loses anyways (UAE game).

Raza has been ZIM's second best batsman, arguably on par with Taylor. And he's consistent, but missing that win-at-all costs mentality (otherwise he would have scored 4 more runs and taken ZIM over the line against UAE, being the in form man). His all-round skills make him ZIM's MVP, ahead of even Taylor. Dual threat.

Williams is a 5 out of 10 with the bat, but with the ball he's been a 7 out of 10. Making him quite handy for the balance of the team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

The Don should start opening at franchise level and see what happens. He made stacks of runs in the middle order this season.

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

time invested in youngsters like Murray and Roche will be rewarded later.
Here lies the problem ...this ZC board can't even invest in balls or medical aid for the players let alone develop a young budding potential.