[Match Thread]: Pak tour of Zim Odi Series : 5th Match : ZIM vs PAK

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: [Match Thread]: Pak tour of Zim Odi Series : 5th Match : ZIM vs PAK

Post by The Robot »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:47 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 am

Bangladesh are a good side with amazing fan following within the country, I do not understand why PCB and other boards are OK with playing home series against Sri Lanka, West Indies, New Zealand and see that as a profitable series but not the one against Bangladesh. Totally stupid. Bangladesh has to be more profitable.
No one has yet toured Pakistan for 2 Tests, if other teams start touring for 15-20 days and the PAK government can demonstrate that they are capable (and willing!!) to provide security for such a long duration, I think a tour could then be considered. But you have to remember security for a PSL final costs tens of millions of US dollars, how much would security for a Test series be? We must bear in mind that Pakistan is still a very poor and overpopulated country. Can they afford this especially when they have other security concerns? PCB might be rich, but Pakistan as a country/government are not.

As far as Bangladesh being profitable or not, its true that in Asian conditions Bangladesh are a stronger side than NZ and the West Indies. And BD are, in my estimate, a more commercially viable team than WI, NZ, SL. However, commercial ground realities take time to solidify. Bangladesh might be more profitable already, but companies don't perceive them as such because Bangladesh hasn't had any high profile successess, from a commercial point of view. Yes winning Tests at home against England and Australia or making the semifinals of the Champions Trophy are cricketing successes, but for commercial success you need to win an ICC event outright, not merely make the knockouts.

Even winning those Tests will ultimately be empty, if Bangladesh doesn't continue to win regularly. If 10 years from now those wins are still the only ones in the bag, no one will care and rightly so. Success has to be sustained, continual, and progressive in order to be real success.
I agree with that mate. Bangla boys though have come a long way in the last 10 years, and I'm sure they will continue to do well.

To be honest they remind me a lot of India during the 90s. I grew up watching cricket in the 90s, and India were like this, huge fan base, tigers at home but very poor away. Reliant on a few big names like Sachin, Azhar, Kumble, Srinath... Much like Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafe and Mushfiqur. India though had a WC in the bag by then.

Before giving useless Comparison of Bangladesh with India in the 90s check the stats and compare Bangladesh's away from Sub Continent Performances

India's performance in Odi Series away from subcontinent 1990-2000

Texico Trophy 1990 in England : 2-0
India in Zimbabwe in 1992 : 1-0
India in New Zealand 1992 : 2-2
Sahara Cup in Canada 1997 : 4-1
India in Zimbabwe 1998 : 2-1
India in New Zealand 1998 : 2-2
India vs Windies in Canada 1999 : 2-1

India's performance in Test Series away from subcontinent 1990-2000

India in Zim 1992 - draw
India in Nz 1993 - draw

Zimbabwe & Windies were top sides at that time
Robo to rule :oops:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The Robot wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:30 am

Before giving useless Comparison of Bangladesh with India in the 90s check the stats and compare Bangladesh's away from Sub Continent Performances

India in Zim 1992 - draw
India in Nz 1993 - draw

Dude, even Sri Lanka weren't a top side in the first half of the 1990s, so no questions about Zimbabwe being up there. They had always been ranked 9th outside of the established 8 sides.

There is one area where Bangladesh in the 2010s resembles India of the 1990s though. Overseas Test wins. India in the 1990s only had 1 win and that was in Sri Lanka. Bangladesh have matched that part.

But even I admit, India in the 1990s was quite a ways ahead of the current Bangladesh team. They were nearly invincible at home and managed to draw a lot away. Bangladesh are merely competitive at home, and have batted decently in just a handful of away Tests (Galle 2013, Wellington 2017, Colombo 2017, Hyderabad 2017).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

The Robot wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm

No one has yet toured Pakistan for 2 Tests, if other teams start touring for 15-20 days and the PAK government can demonstrate that they are capable (and willing!!) to provide security for such a long duration, I think a tour could then be considered. But you have to remember security for a PSL final costs tens of millions of US dollars, how much would security for a Test series be? We must bear in mind that Pakistan is still a very poor and overpopulated country. Can they afford this especially when they have other security concerns? PCB might be rich, but Pakistan as a country/government are not.

As far as Bangladesh being profitable or not, its true that in Asian conditions Bangladesh are a stronger side than NZ and the West Indies. And BD are, in my estimate, a more commercially viable team than WI, NZ, SL. However, commercial ground realities take time to solidify. Bangladesh might be more profitable already, but companies don't perceive them as such because Bangladesh hasn't had any high profile successess, from a commercial point of view. Yes winning Tests at home against England and Australia or making the semifinals of the Champions Trophy are cricketing successes, but for commercial success you need to win an ICC event outright, not merely make the knockouts.

Even winning those Tests will ultimately be empty, if Bangladesh doesn't continue to win regularly. If 10 years from now those wins are still the only ones in the bag, no one will care and rightly so. Success has to be sustained, continual, and progressive in order to be real success.
I agree with that mate. Bangla boys though have come a long way in the last 10 years, and I'm sure they will continue to do well.

To be honest they remind me a lot of India during the 90s. I grew up watching cricket in the 90s, and India were like this, huge fan base, tigers at home but very poor away. Reliant on a few big names like Sachin, Azhar, Kumble, Srinath... Much like Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafe and Mushfiqur. India though had a WC in the bag by then.

India in Zim 1992 - draw
India in Nz 1993 - draw

Reminding someone of something doesn't mean matching of each and every stat but ofcourse you need common sense to understand that. Are you really a Robot? :D

Zimbabwe were an average side, they peaked during 1998-2000 but even then they were not like a top 3 side.
Pakistan was very good during the 90s. So was South Africa and Sri Lanka during the latter half.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 am
The Robot wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:

India in Zim 1992 - draw
India in Nz 1993 - draw

Reminding someone of something doesn't mean matching of each and every stat but ofcourse you need common sense to understand that. Are you really a Robot? :D

Zimbabwe were an average side, they peaked during 1998-2000 but even then they were not like a top 3 side.
Pakistan was very good during the 90s. So was South Africa and Sri Lanka during the latter half.
U need a brain in matching two teams......
Robo to rule :oops: