Will Zimbabwe ever win another international against a Top 9 team?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 10

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

And by the way, is anyone else finding themselves losing interest in Zim cricket?
It feels a bit like my AFL team, they haven't made finals in nearly a decade - when it's just loss after loss and there's no star players to get excited about (sound familiar?) it's hard to get interested about each game. Even with this recent series, it was the first bilateral series in probably 5 years to get broadcast on Fox Sports in Australia. And I found myself just flicking over to it from time to time; once I would have been glued to it.

Googly

Re: Will Zimbabwe ever win another international against a Top 9 team?

Post by Googly »

Lose interest only in two weeks if these guys hang on. There’s a snowball’s chance in hell we’ll prise their thieving mitts off our cricket yet.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Zimbabwe Bowling is 0 out if 10 at present, even if the inclusion of Jarvis & Cremer

Tight bowling isn't going to help.....wicket takers are needed to win games

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Afghanistan have arguably proven that they can be included in the T10. They drew their first away series in the WI. But they also almost got eliminated in the first round of the WCQ, only qualifying on the back of other teams' wins. Still, they absolutely demolished the WI both times they played them, including in the final.

The current ZIM team should still be able to snag a win against Afghanistan who are good for a batting collapse in every game.

So I voted yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Much depends on whether BT and Co come back into the fold. Even if they do the problem is they don’t play enough international cricket. Whilst we keep bandying around the term “world class” they can’t be if they don’t play enough regular top-flight cricket.
That’s those guys, the current team and whoever else is on the bench are in a much worse position.
The Flower team, who had better players, played a lot of cricket before they started seeing results, we’re now literally years behind where they started out all those years ago. Also during that era schoolboy cricket was damned strong so the future was looking promising.
I’ve been mulling this over with my coffee. I’d have to say without them I don’t think we have much chance against Associate sides anymore. Against a member nation maybe that one off freak game if the planets align.
The rest of the world has moved on and I don’t see how we can catch up. They’re all playing tough cricket all over the world, the U19 sides are playing or in training and we’re just sitting here with no systems, no top flight academies, virtually no players that can consistently play at the top level, no quality juniors, abysmal school cricket, no age group cricket.
I promise you that this current board cannot resurrect the game here. I’d go as far as to say if they had $20 mill a year it wouldn’t make much of a difference.
Everyone sits around and blames the Board, and they are to blame for sure, but the problem is much bigger than that now. We have fallen so far behind that even with the best administration on the planet I don’t think we’re turning it around before ICC review our position again. The only way is if there’s someone highly respected as our chairman, surrounded by a proper administrative team and coaching staff, only then will we be able to beg forbearance in a few years time. My interest has always been age group cricket and the situation is desperate here. They need to send a couple of coaches over to watch some age group County stuff, they will come back shaking their heads in disbelief. I watched an U17 County game the other day, we don’t have anyone remotely close to what I watched. The shit is very very deep for us.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:35 am
And by the way, is anyone else finding themselves losing interest in Zim cricket?
I found it hard even to look up the scorecards for the Pakistan series; not necessarily because we're not even competing any more and the present is so depressive (we've been through that before), but the future looks so bleak and all illusions I might have had about Zim cricket have long since vanished into thin air.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

At the moment I am still interested in Zimbabwe cricket, it just doesn't feel like Zimbabwe is really playing. I remember feeling this way in 2003 when Streak and co walked out. In one foul swoop all my favourite players left and I had no idea where to turn.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Pretty much the way I feel too. It was a blessing in disguise that I was busy with multiple travels and did not get a chance to follow much of the Pak ODI series.