Release of funds finalized by ICC / PJ Moor playing for MCC

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Release of funds finalized by ICC / PJ Moor playing for MCC

Post by Black Mamba »

Last edited by Black Mamba on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam_ahm

Re: Release of funds finalized by ICC

Post by sam_ahm »

Fanyastic news. Much needed relief for Zimbabwean players and fans i believe.

Very sad that this did not happen before the Pakistan series.

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

Unfortunately this couldn't have happened before the Pakistan series, because ZC had already spent all their funds and had to await their dole money from the ICC in July.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You have to wonder what they spent the money on when they hadn’t paid anyone, other than themselves.
They’d also made the $2million received to prepare for qualifiers completely disappear.
$2m goes a long long way, how did they spend that money?
What kind of financial planning occurs when you keep running out of cash just prior to paying the very people that keep the wheels turning, it shows complete contempt for the very people that keep the money rolling in.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There cannot be any compromise, this Board will not turn this around.
Firstly what’s the point of having a Board being strictly monitored because they’re known thieves looking for any opportunity to dip into the funds? None of those people have played cricket, know anything whatsoever about the game and have zero interest except for how to dream up a new way of stealing money. How are those guys managing to keep holding the reins? There’s a million ways to continue fleecing the system, especially if you’re monitoring yourself, it’s a sick joke.
Secondly they don’t have a plan or they would have implemented it a long time ago. They can’t say “we’ve got plans going forward” and we couldn’t implement them because money was short because most of it was going to a very dubious loan repayment that warrants proper investigation. People can shout all they like about that loan having been audited and it being above board, but it would not stand up to proper scrutiny- not the requirement for the loan, the disbursement of it, the interest rate, nothing, it all stinks. The last $2m for qualifiers just evaporated, there’s no intention to do the right thing, the intention is to take as much as they can and pray for bailouts.

This Pakistan tour has shown that the tank is empty. There’s no other member nation whose bench would have been humped repeatedly like that. These ZC supporters can’t stop shouting about how shit Taylor, Jarvis, Ervine and Williams are, but then continue accusing them of being racists and unpatriotic when they step aside. If they’re shit they wouldnt have been missed. They’re damned if they do and they’re damned if they don’t. They all conveniently overlooked the fact that Raza, without any axe to grind, also voted with his feet.

We don’t have an A side that can compete, we’ve always loaded our A side with national players to hide the calamity that our players are not good enough. It doesn’t matter how much exposure they get going forward the vast majority of them will never ever be able to make an impact internationally.

Our next u19 side is going to be the worst we’ve ever fielded, other nations have ongoing programs, we continue to select ours at the last minute and half the already ordinary team is made up of friends, relatives and people with money. Some effort went into the last one, but there were some poor selections. If you doubled that effort, with the right players and staff that’s where the rest of the member nations are at the whole time.

Club cricket ideally needs to be independent. Players have to stop sitting with their hands out. The rest of the world play club cricket with perhaps one paid player and the rest pay subs to help keep the club afloat. They must learn to play because they enjoy cricket. Three quarters of our guys think they’re Kohli’s in waiting or are expecting to receive some sort of payment. Just enjoy the game gents. Your sole purpose is to run your own set up and enjoy the game and hopefully get some much needed youngsters going, stop whining about ZC not helping you, help yourselves. We don’t have one superstar that has been mysteriously overlooked, trust me. The point is that we need a complete overhaul. When the time comes for ICC to review our situation if we are not seen to have proper personnel and structures, and seen to have been making genuine improvements it will be the end. I think we’re dead now, just not many people know it.
This board with one hand tied (the other still buried in the jar) is not the answer. Everyone seems to think if we play a few more games and players receive their money we will be back on track. There’s nothing like that. I’m not sure why people don’t understand that the cupboard is empty and we need a really well planned long term rebuilding process that’s going to take many years, not months. Having said that I don’t know where the good players are coming from? We have a tiny pool and the few guys with real ability have to be identified and expertly coached and they have to play lots and lots of cricket. How? Where?

Tomorrow is a big day. There will be people quaking in their boots praying that the ballot boxes have been well stuffed, which I’m sure they have. We’ll be hearing the chest thumping, crowing and threats of repercussions towards the end of next week. Maybe, just maybe ED is waiting to be officially sworn in and he’ll pull a rabbit out the hat. The country cannot continue like this, our cricket cannot continue like this.
The Board Must Fall!!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

So does this mean the 6 guys who sat out the matches will return ??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Just enjoy the game gents. Your sole purpose is to run your own set up and enjoy the game and hopefully get some much needed youngsters going, stop whining about ZC not helping you, help yourselves.
I agree.

My theory is that a kid who plays in the backyard at a young age with his dad, because his dad did the same with his dad, and so on... cricket is just going to be more culturally ingrained, so you're going to care about it more, and that in turn is going to make you more interested in playing for fun. Over the next few generations that could change from being mainly a white thing, as the sons and grandsons of the Masakadza/Chigumbura generation grow up but it's still a long way off.

So what does that mean for the present? Does ZC pull the pin on club cricket and outright stop subsidising it? If this happens, I suppose a lot of black people will stop playing because they can't afford it. But maybe without the interference of ZC, you might find guys that a lot of guys who play in the Harare Friendlies league (I'm thinking guys like Callum Price, Nathan Waller, etc) would be willing to play in a non-Boozers league.

The capitalist in me says do it. ZC should pull the pin on club cricket - and let the market decide what happens next. See which independent clubs fill the void by organising their own competition. The elephant in the room is that Zimbabwe's best cricket players have always been white - if this happened, this will never change and cricket will always be consigned to being a minority sport like lawn balls and water polo or something. But on the other hand, ZC's "growing the game" efforts haven't really produced much either so maybe that doesn't matter. As you always say Googly, there's no Virat Kohli waiting in the wings at Emakhandeni.

The pragmatist it me says it could never work though. So hypothetically, you withdraw the money and it'll become a white-run thing with a few affluent blacks and maybe an Indian club too because they'll be the only other ones who can afford to play for fun. But imagine if a sponsor or two get on-board, once the smell of the almighty dollar appears the usual suspects will make the elitist narrative play politically and the whole enterprise will probably suffer because of it (I guess the Harare Friendlies has flown under the radar because it's not serious enough for anyone to care).

So I don't know what you do Googly. Make club cricket independent and suffer the political consequences, or keep the status quo which just flat out doesn't work.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Release of funds finalized by ICC / PJ Moor playing for MCC

Post by Black Mamba »

PJ Moor in Playing XI for MCC : DNB, 6

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:49 am
Just enjoy the game gents. Your sole purpose is to run your own set up and enjoy the game and hopefully get some much needed youngsters going, stop whining about ZC not helping you, help yourselves.
I agree.

My theory is that a kid who plays in the backyard at a young age with his dad, because his dad did the same with his dad, and so on... cricket is just going to be more culturally ingrained, so you're going to care about it more, and that in turn is going to make you more interested in playing for fun. Over the next few generations that could change from being mainly a white thing, as the sons and grandsons of the Masakadza/Chigumbura generation grow up but it's still a long way off.

So what does that mean for the present? Does ZC pull the pin on club cricket and outright stop subsidising it? If this happens, I suppose a lot of black people will stop playing because they can't afford it. But maybe without the interference of ZC, you might find guys that a lot of guys who play in the Harare Friendlies league (I'm thinking guys like Callum Price, Nathan Waller, etc) would be willing to play in a non-Boozers league.

The capitalist in me says do it. ZC should pull the pin on club cricket - and let the market decide what happens next. See which independent clubs fill the void by organising their own competition. The elephant in the room is that Zimbabwe's best cricket players have always been white - if this happened, this will never change and cricket will always be consigned to being a minority sport like lawn balls and water polo or something. But on the other hand, ZC's "growing the game" efforts haven't really produced much either so maybe that doesn't matter. As you always say Googly, there's no Virat Kohli waiting in the wings at Emakhandeni.

The pragmatist it me says it could never work though. So hypothetically, you withdraw the money and it'll become a white-run thing with a few affluent blacks and maybe an Indian club too because they'll be the only other ones who can afford to play for fun. But imagine if a sponsor or two get on-board, once the smell of the almighty dollar appears the usual suspects will make the elitist narrative play politically and the whole enterprise will probably suffer because of it (I guess the Harare Friendlies has flown under the radar because it's not serious enough for anyone to care).

So I don't know what you do Googly. Make club cricket independent and suffer the political consequences, or keep the status quo which just flat out doesn't work.
If numbers plummet but we retained 100 percent of white and curry talent with the dedicated blacks to support, then we will be stronger than we are now.

We may still struggle getting 100 percent though even if the system was working. We can get close however.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Re: Release of funds finalized by ICC / PJ Moor playing for MCC

Post by Googly »

The main issue is the maintenance of the club grounds. The sports clubs generally have rugby, cricket, squash, tennis and latterly football sections. So in the past all the members paid their subs, the different sections also raised their own monies and the main club committee would apportion the subs. They’d keep the fields in order, some clubs had fields that were used for rugby in winter and cricket in summer. The main expenses are tractor, mower, diesel and irrigation equipment and electricity.
Other expenses are three or four groundsmen.
The main revenues are generally bar revenues if the club is well patronized. When the economy was in good order white social life used to revolve around the various clubs. That dynamic has changed and even with an economic upturn I don’t think we can expect a return to that.
There are far less whites around and the black guys don’t have the same social dynamic in that they don’t have their local sports club that they go to two or three times a week.
Maybe that will change a bit, but probably not enough.
Some club cricketers these days I think make a token payment and others can’t or don’t want want to pay. In addition to that they expect ZC to provide a ball and umpires.
It would be extreme for ZC to cut off club cricket, but there should rather be a strategic staged withdrawal, especially if the economy does improve.
The Bulawayo boys are on the right track with that sponsored T20.
I really think there would be genuine corporate interest if they saw a new board that they believed had a plan, for franchise cricket or for club, either of which would ease the financial burden on ZC.
With a shortage of money they have to focus on a nucleus of the better players. I seem to be the only person that advocates this top down approach. I pray someone listens to me because we’ll all be dead before the bottom up approach ever works. You either have a few guys playing really good cricket or a bunch playing village cricket. I’m not saying ignore the grass roots, but approach it differently.
The interest in cricket can only happen if you have a competitive national side, closely followed by u19, age group sides and a nucleus of about 10 schools, then expand it from there.
We have a bizarre situation where we probably have 400 senior players (I don’t know the actual number) and maybe 80 of those receive some sort of money.
Where in the world do you have one quarter of the people playing “regular” cricket receiving cash for doing that?
We need a new board, buy-in from the corporate sector and the schools. The dozen schools have infrastructure of sorts, a captive group of schoolboys and cricket has taken a back seat in practically every school, the half dozen good ones included. The situation needs an urgent remedy.