[Match Thread] Crocodile vs Chamisa, Zimbabwe Election Showdown 2018

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] Crocodile vs Chamisa, Zimbabwe Election Showdown 2018

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:32 am
eugene wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:43 pm
More jarring is that Trump won 3,084 counties compared to Hillary's 57. I understand that the Presidential vote in Zimbabwe is purely popular vote, but presumably the parliamentary elections can produce odd outcomes?
I think all of HRC's 57 counties would rank as the 10 largest counties in the US. LA, Maricopa, Cook, Kings, Queens, NY counties to name a few. Those 6 counties alone have almost 30 million people or about 9% of the US' total population!
alot of people forget or dont nderstand that america is really a bunch of countries in one.

Texas and NY are further apart mentally than NZ and Aus for instance, even the accent is as different to the NZ/Oz one.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

The generals were never going to let the opposition win. Having said that the disunity and will we won't we stuff before the election has been unhelpful. My contacts saying the populace are pretty down, no celebrating.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I've seen a lot of disappointment with the result. It seems as though the general populous is not happy. There is very much a fear as well that once the international media leaves, the people will suffer. The only people who seem to be very vocal in their support of ZANU seem to be those who are making money and living comfortable lifestyles.

It does not bode well especially when the commander in chief is not sure who is issuing orders to the army and the police. He is unaware of what is going on with his security forces, and then you have the likes of Mukupe coming out and saying that the police are MDC, which then begs the question why they were at the MDC press conference yesterday asking journalists to leave. No one seems to have any control in the party, or the control all rests with Chiwenga. Perhaps the start of a military state.

As long as it does not affect the cricket, then at least it will give Zimbabweans something to be proud of. But that could also be wishful thinking now that Bvute and Mukhulani are MPs

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 am

Texas and NY are further apart mentally than NZ and Aus for instance, even the accent is as different to the NZ/Oz one.
The accent difference is much greater between TX and NY than it is between NZ/OZ. But whereas the "Southern Accent" is basically a single dialect spanning all of the south (KY, TN, MS, GA, SC, NC, AL, etc) and even some non-southern states like IN, IL, OH probably, even the "NY accent" isn't a singular accent. There are significant differences between say a Brooklyn Italian accent and a Jewish accent although both would probably be considered NY accents individually. Even the Boston accent (again probably at least 2 seperate accents between Italians and the Irish) is markedly different from the NY accent - although it has a lot of overlap.

Most Americans wouldn't be able to tell teh difference between an AUS and NZ accent. In fact, I might not be able to despite watching loads of cricket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:51 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 am

The accent difference is much greater between TX and NY than it is between NZ/OZ. But whereas the "Southern Accent" is basically a single dialect spanning all of the south (KY, TN, MS, GA, SC, NC, AL, etc) and even some non-southern states like IN, IL, OH probably, even the "NY accent" isn't a singular accent. There are significant differences between say a Brooklyn Italian accent and a Jewish accent although both would probably be considered NY accents individually. Even the Boston accent (again probably at least 2 seperate accents between Italians and the Irish) is markedly different from the NY accent - although it has a lot of overlap.

Most Americans wouldn't be able to tell teh difference between an AUS and NZ accent. In fact, I might not be able to despite watching loads of cricket.
I could tell as I started to read from the tone that you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from a NZ/Aussie accent.
For us there’s a huge marked difference. Every Aussie will be able to spot a kiwi the second he opens his mouth.
In my opinion, when listening to kiwis ‘A’s become ‘e’s and the other vowels are removed entirely from words.
There’s all lingo kiwis use Aussies don’t.
‘Apple’ becomes ‘epple’ And ‘fish’ becomes ‘fsh’ and ‘glint’ becomes ‘glnt’. Although many Aussies hear ‘fush’ and ‘glunt’ but my ears don’t pick that up personally.

Aussies tend to have a more nasally lazier voice than kiwis too I think.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

D3D5525E-D97F-416B-B044-B12FD82F0214.png
D3D5525E-D97F-416B-B044-B12FD82F0214.png (27.85 KiB) Viewed 3384 times

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

I could tell as I started to read from the tone that you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from a NZ/Aussie accent.
For us there’s a huge marked difference. Every Aussie will be able to spot a kiwi the second he opens his mouth.
In my opinion, when listening to kiwis ‘A’s become ‘e’s and the other vowels are removed entirely from words.
‘Apple’ becomes ‘epple’ And ‘fish’ becomes ‘fsh’ and ‘glint’ becomes ‘glnt’. Although many Aussies hear ‘fush’ and ‘glunt’ but my ears don’t pick that up personally.

Danny Morrison is a kiwi isn't he? His accent is markedly different from Shane Warne's. But yeah its a difference us Yanks might find hard to differentiate.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:31 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Danny Morrison is a kiwi isn't he? His accent is markedly different from Shane Warne's. But yeah its a difference us Yanks might find hard to differentiate.
Yepand it always fascinates me. How do you yanks not see it? It’s as vast as NY Jew to Doyle Brunson texan. It’s fascinating because what it’s so obvious to my eat, Americans can’t pick up. It’s yanny and Laurel. It also explains why American actors can not imitate the Australian accent.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I am not sure what the Texan accent is and I live here. Texas isn't really monolithic anything these days, so many people have moved here from elsewhere and it is becoming a majority hispanic state which will further dilute the accent. Texas is often thought to be a conservative state, but every major city in Texas now votes Democrat. The Republicans maintain dominance by winning white suburban areas, mid-size cities, and rural areas with a bit of gerrymandering thrown in for good measure.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:06 pm
I am not sure what the Texan accent is and I live here. Texas isn't really monolithic anything these days, so many people have moved here from elsewhere and it is becoming a majority hispanic state which will further dilute the accent. Texas is often thought to be a conservative state, but every major city in Texas now votes Democrat. The Republicans maintain dominance by winning white suburban areas, mid-size cities, and rural areas with a bit of gerrymandering thrown in for good measure.
Well Dallas, Houston, SA, and Austin probably has 75% of Texas’ population. The cities proper will be quite heavily Democrat but the suburbs will have lots of affluent and conservative folks.

The other thing is how Democrat will 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Hispanics be? Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz have shown that affluent Hispanics can assimilate and essentially become “white”. Darker skinned Latinos are likely to find it harder. I think it partly explains why the Irish, Italians, and Ashkenazi Jews have been able to assimilate and become mainstream, despite initially facing discrimination. Harder for most Mexicans and African Americans and other visibly non white minorities.