Tour of South Africa Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Tour of South Africa Discussion

Post by jaybro »

Taking a look forward to Zimbabwe's tour of South Africa which will this time comprise of 3 ODI's & 3 t20's. It will be interesting to see if South Africa rest some key players since they'll be fresh off their tour of Sri Lanka and will be off to Australia straight after the Zimbabwe series.

All 6 matches will be played on different grounds so no time for the boys to get used to any of the grounds, but usually most pitches in South Africa are good for batting in Limited Overs Cricket.

It looks like Zimbabwe will have some reinforcements back after the Pakistan debacle with the five players who were on strike seemingly ready to return, plus Solomon Mire & Kyle Jarvis will have recovered from their injuries.

It will be interesting to see if they decide to take a few young guys with them for the tour like K-Long, Murray & Mavuta after they showed glimpses that they could be good players. Hamilton is another interesting selection considering most people on the forum want him dropped despite him being the captain. I can't see them making a change concerning the captaincy as I doubt they will choose one of the 'Big 5' after they went on strike.

Predicted Squad

Hamilton
Mire
BT
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Murray
Cremer
Jarvis
Chatara
Blessing

Masvaure
Moor
Mpofu
Ngarava

Personally I wouldn't take Moor, Mpofu or Ngarava I'd have Burl, Mumba & Jongwe. Can't really back up my three preferences with numbers but I like what I've seen from them and I think they're three young guys we need to invest in.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Tour of South Africa Discussion

Post by eugene »

I fear the ODIs will resemble T20s. South Africa have severely punished far stronger bowling attacks than ours at home.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Per the excellent @cricketzimbo

BT and Cremer in the training squad.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

South Africa now seems a settled side, their find for the allrounder spot has come to an end. After Retirement of the legend Kallis....they tried a lot starting with Albie Morkal, Ryan McLaren, David Wiese, Chris Morris.

Now its the duo of Willem Mulder and Andile Phehlukwayo providing some balance in the Side with a great ongoing tour of Sri Lanka

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Mulder, Markram, Andile (in ODI's), Ngidi, Rabada, De Kock and Zubayr Hamza are the future.

De Bruyne is also one to watch, though he's started slow.

I think there's enough genuine talent coming through to sustain success for SA for quite a while, although my contacts on the ground have said there's no other batters like Markram coming through.

Another fast bowler wouldn't go a miss, just to keep the current incumbents on their toes and to make sure that Dale Steyn is adequately replaced, probably in the not too distant future. I'm saying after the 2019 CWC

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 am
Mulder, Markram, Andile (in ODI's), Ngidi, Rabada, De Kock and Zubayr Hamza are the future.

De Bruyne is also one to watch, though he's started slow.

I think there's enough genuine talent coming through to sustain success for SA for quite a while, although my contacts on the ground have said there's no other batters like Markram coming through.

Another fast bowler wouldn't go a miss, just to keep the current incumbents on their toes and to make sure that Dale Steyn is adequately replaced, probably in the not too distant future. I'm saying after the 2019 CWC
Markram is terrible against spin struggled through out the Sri Lankan Tour. Zubayr Hamza and Rudi Second are the quality players.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s harsh saying Markram is terrible against spin, he wasn’t in long enough to be certain of that. :lol: :lol:
Someone with his talent will always bounce back from a disaster like that.
Hash and Faf I’ve heard are retiring and Elgar and perhaps one other may decide not to play for Proteas after the WC.
That’s a massive hole in their batting line up. The Rand will slide big time because of their government policies and thievery and someone like Miller may also become a full time T20 player because their central contracts aren’t going to be worth diddly. They won’t ever reach our levels but they’re in deep doo doo.
A couple of their County players may be tempted back if they’re guaranteed full time slots but when you know they’re just waiting for a half decent non white to show potential before you’re benched there’s not much incentive to be treated poorly. They’re like us, they’re dead but they don’t know it.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 am
Taking a look forward to Zimbabwe's tour of South Africa which will this time comprise of 3 ODI's & 3 t20's. It will be interesting to see if South Africa rest some key players since they'll be fresh off their tour of Sri Lanka and will be off to Australia straight after the Zimbabwe series.

All 6 matches will be played on different grounds so no time for the boys to get used to any of the grounds, but usually most pitches in South Africa are good for batting in Limited Overs Cricket.

It looks like Zimbabwe will have some reinforcements back after the Pakistan debacle with the five players who were on strike seemingly ready to return, plus Solomon Mire & Kyle Jarvis will have recovered from their injuries.

It will be interesting to see if they decide to take a few young guys with them for the tour like K-Long, Murray & Mavuta after they showed glimpses that they could be good players. Hamilton is another interesting selection considering most people on the forum want him dropped despite him being the captain. I can't see them making a change concerning the captaincy as I doubt they will choose one of the 'Big 5' after they went on strike.

Predicted Squad

Hamilton
Mire
BT
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Murray
Cremer
Jarvis
Chatara
Blessing

Masvaure
Moor
Mpofu
Ngarava

Personally I wouldn't take Moor, Mpofu or Ngarava I'd have Burl, Mumba & Jongwe. Can't really back up my three preferences with numbers but I like what I've seen from them and I think they're three young guys we need to invest in.
Mumba definitely for Mpofu
Jongwe needs a look
PJ Moor in UK at MCC we get a nod over Murray in ODI's
Craig Ervines should play in T20 though
Last edited by Mueddie28 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

eugene

Post by eugene »

That being said, currently the top performers for the Proteas seem to be the black/coloured players.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sure, no disputing that. And that’s why they will continue with their racist cricketing policies until they’re beyond the point of no return. They genuinely believe it’s working. The day they take over all the farms down there they will also believe it’s a new dawn. There’s a new era of cricket awaiting SA after the WC.