Tour of South Africa Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Tour of South Africa Discussion

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Racial Policies in South African Cricket might make Irish Cricket Strong. As stars for Irish Cricket are now over 30s and the youths still not developed, migration from South Africa will turn Irish Cricket after WC
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm
Racial Policies in South African Cricket might make Irish Cricket Strong. As stars for Irish Cricket are now over 30s and the youths still not developed, migration from South Africa will turn Irish Cricket after WC
An exercise for you.

Name three players in the South African system with an Irish surname.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:53 am
Sure, no disputing that. And that’s why they will continue with their racist cricketing policies until they’re beyond the point of no return. They genuinely believe it’s working. The day they take over all the farms down there they will also believe it’s a new dawn. There’s a new era of cricket awaiting SA after the WC.
Of course the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the best white prospects are being deliberately overlooked in favour of more average ones. Certainly in rugby some of the Springbok selections of the whites can seem perplexing, some much better players left on the sidelines.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

I once watched a St Johns (Joburgh) leftie who was one of the best schoolboy batsmen I’ve ever seen. I spoke to him after the game, he’d never made a provincial side!
It’s ridiculous. He wasn’t just a good player, he was head and shoulders above most of the provincial guys I’ve seen and he’d clearly put in years of hard work.
That’s happened a lot and there are nowhere near the number of white kids down there that will put in the hard yards anymore.
The provincial sides are quota, it’s not always strictly enforced, but there’s a requirement for pure black, brownish and off white. The standard has dropped a lot.
Their grass roots has worked to some extent though because of their numbers, there’s more money in their system and they have some passionate development coaches.
The standard has dropped because those quota players still don’t get the quality games throughout their school careers, don’t have the family cricketing backgrounds that most of the white kids have and obviously they have poorer facilities and possibly the coaching is not quite as good.
There’s immense disillusionment amongst the white boys.
Will the gap be bridged? That remains to be seen, but the short answer is no. They have enough players to always produce good players of any colour, but it’s racist to the core, anyone who excuses it is a f%^*ing racist or a pathetic apologist. You can call it what you like, but it’s disgraceful racism.
If they really wanted to see how well this works just run two parallel systems and let them meet for a shootout (not literally :lol:) at the end. They wouldn’t do that because that would be racist and would encourage racism but they excuse what they’re doing now as acceptable? When you implement these systems over time people will accept anything.
The good cricket is played in the good schools. The vast majority of the black kids will never afford these schools. These schools are mosty more than half black anyway, and it’s the same as what happened here, the bulk of these elite black kids at these fancy schools don’t play cricket.
I’ve never understood it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

When you see black kids in a cricket side they usually, with a few notable exceptions, don’t have much parental support, even at the rich schools. The parents generally aren’t interested. If it’s a requirement for cricket to have been played in your family for a few generations then that’s why. Here in Zim there’s less black parental support than whites in all the sports, that’s partially because a lot of the parents are poor, are working, lack transport etc, but it doesn’t account completely for their conspicuous absence from sporting events. If they have a team that’s doing well they make much more effort to attend though.
Those kids are largely on their own and they rely on their coaches for much of their moral support and advice.
If white kids were supported in a similarly poor way I reckon many of them would throw in the towel, they’re soft, I’d say they were over-parented, to be honest.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Yeah show me a Van Der Reilly. :lol:
Let me raise an interesting issue. If the imminent monumental implosion that’s about to take place in SA coincides with some decent policies from Zanu you could potentially see a few white players try their luck here.
A surprising number of South African whites have legitimate access to Zim citizenship, Dale Steyn is the most obvious cricketing example, but there are lots of them. Unfortunately our FC system and our economy is not enticing enough or we’d have seen people already, but it’s very possible that we will see some interesting developments in this regard. We don’t need home grown, we need a winning side, if we had 9 Van Der Merwes’ in our side and we won some games and they could say Mangwanani, Marara sei after coaching it’s good enough.
Give them a small holding on a 99 year lease and let them play! :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:52 pm
Stoneman Returns wrote:
Yeah show me a Van Der Reilly. :lol:
Let me raise an interesting issue. If the imminent monumental implosion that’s about to take place in SA coincides with some decent policies from Zanu you could potentially see a few white players try their luck here.
A surprising number of South African whites have legitimate access to Zim citizenship, Dale Steyn is the most obvious cricketing example, but there are lots of them. Unfortunately our FC system and our economy is not enticing enough or we’d have seen people already, but it’s very possible that we will see some interesting developments in this regard. We don’t need home grown, we need a winning side, if we had 9 Van Der Merwes’ in our side and we won some games and they could say Mangwanani, Marara sei after coaching it’s good enough.
Give them a small holding on a 99 year lease and let them play! :lol:
I went through 4/6 domestic sides and I saw only ONE South African with an Irish surname, a 20 yr old kid called Conway.
At his age its unlikely he has parental or grandparental citizenship but its possible.

Nonetheless, apparently they will all magically find their long lost grandfathers with a surname of O'Shea, Dwyer or Murphy hiding in Joburg, according to Stoneman/Mamba/Robot.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Stoneman Returns

Players of South African Origin in Ireland Cricket. :

Max Sorensen
Jhon Anderson
Shane Getkate
Nicolaas Pretorius
Stephanus Grobler

2 from Zimbabwe : Gary King & Adam Keefe

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 am

Max Sorensen
Jhon Anderson
Shane Getkate
Nicolaas Pretorius
Stephanus Grobler

to be honest, i think Dutch cricket stands to benefit more than Irish cricket.

Afrikaners are essentially dutch, with a bit of this and that.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Stoneman Returns

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 am
Stoneman Returns wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 am

Max Sorensen
Jhon Anderson
Shane Getkate
Nicolaas Pretorius
Stephanus Grobler

to be honest, i think Dutch cricket stands to benefit more than Irish cricket.

Afrikaners are essentially dutch, with a bit of this and that.
Yes those names starting with Van......