Africa T20 Cup Season 2018

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Africa T20 Cup Season 2018

Post by Jemisi »

Murray doesn't have many runs on the board. Each time he makes some is good news.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Good to see the boys doing well especially Tari, Zimbabwe really need him to kick on and become a decent player
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Nice to see Murray and Muskanda amongst runs.

Zimbabwe actually can do decent in batting department, there is fair enough talent, it is the bowling which is abysmal, they needed Muzrabani to stay and Vitori to be abke to bowl.

Much depends on Jarvis and Cremer in the near future.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Magarira has been very economical whenever given a chance in the shorter formats. It hasn't been against the strongest opposition, but still ...

kudet

Post by kudet »

for those who want to watch the zim match being played now.. here is the link.. works perfectly well just that it has no commentary. a chance to watch the guys you are rooting for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6b70k ... e=youtu.be

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

That first defeat cost us dearly. Tari only got dismissed once. Impressive although I would have preferred to see other guys step up as we already know how good Murray and Tari are

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Zim A 3 wins, Namibia 3 wins, Uganda 2 wins, Kenya 1 win.

Seems like a reasonable context to judge our performances.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Jemisi wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 am
Zim A 3 wins, Namibia 3 wins, Uganda 2 wins, Kenya 1 win.

Seems like a reasonable context to judge our performances.
True. I feel like the Final should always be our target though. We are better than that. Its a cut throat setup tho. 1 loss and you are in serious trouble

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

After watching through all of the games (apart from the Northerns game which isn't up on youtube) these are my findings

Zhuwao: 5/10 Showed his big hitting early against Free State ( didn't see his innings against SWD or Northerns ) still probably the biggest and hardest hitter in Zimbabwe but lack of ability at his age I can't see him ever being a solid contributor.

Kamunhukamwe: 2/10 Very disappointing tournament for Tinashe with only one decent score of 28. Plays too many big shots too early especially across the line shots, if you are going to go big early play straight. Perfect example against SWD in the final game, first ball slog sweep for four then second ball same shot but he got bowled. Lots of talent but needs to learn when to play the big shot.

Chari: N/A Played one game and got run-out after a couple of deliveries.

Mutumbami: 2/10 Like Kamunhukamwe he played one decent innings then played dumb shots too early in his innings, his reverse sweep against SWD was a real shocker. Very frustrating player as he can play some beautiful looking shots but in the end of the day his lack of foot movement and closed bat face bring him undone too often.

Musakanda: 9.5/10 What can you say about a man who only got out once through the whole tournament!!! Tari was easily the best player and scored two fifties with his 3 Not outs. Played some great shots throughout and looked at ease against pace and spin, I especially liked his innings against SWD as he only played one or two false shots. Could easily become our best player of spin.

Murray: 8/10 Great tournament by Murray as he was tidy with the gloves and was our second best batsman behind Tari. Much like Tari he looked at home against all bowlers and played his best innings against SWD, I liked that he took his time and waited until his 12th delivery to play a big shot and played straight when the ball was bowled on his stumps.

Mutombodzi: 6/10 Bowled well when given the chance and took four wickets at just over seven an over, also second highest wicket taker for Zimbabwe. Failed in his only real chance with the bat against Gauteng and didn't get to show his skills with the willow, I still think if Malcolm Waller could play 60 odd ODIs for Zimbabwe then Mutombodzi could do as well and end with better numbers.

Madziva: 6.5/10 Bowled fairly well up front keeping it tight going for just over six an over and taking three wickets, still seems to try too many things bowling ( and batting ) and muddles himself up, should try and concentrate on getting the basics right. Didn't get much chance with the bat but played a silly shot against Gauteng when Tari needed him to hang about.

Akram: 2/10 First time I've seen him and I wasn't too impressed, not really quick and didn't seem to have many tricks to his bow, I can't see him growing to be an International quality bowler and I'm actually quite alarmed that he took so many wickets in Logan Cup.

Mavuta: 6/10 Bowled well at times and I like the look of him but he still has plenty of work to do, seemed to drag a lot of balls down which is a concern, as spinner you'd rather them over pitch than drag it down. Took three wickets and went for seven and half an over so not too bad, not sure how effective he will be in International cricket right now, but if he can work on his control he could be a good player for the future.

Mambo: 5/10 I was very keen to watch Patrick Mambo bowl as I haven't seen any of him. Didn't grab my eye to be honest as he didn't bowl with any real pace and he isn't that tall, still got a couple of wickets but was expensive, still young and could improve as his body gets stronger.

Ngarava: 3/10 Very disappointing tournament for big Richard only taking one wicket and going for plenty of runs, every time I see him I get less confident he will be a bowler we can count on for the future. Again I think he needs to simplify his game and just bowl solid back of a line stuff and use his height. Might not be suited to the limited overs stuff, also I can't see him being effective in the RSA & BD tours ahead.

Magarira: 8/10 Another player I was eager to see after being impressed by his displays in the under 19's world cup a few years back, he was easily the best bowler for Zimbabwe taking the new ball and bowling with great control and variation. IMO he's a much better bowler then Mavuta but being a left arm spinner he is stuck behind Wellington & Chisoro at this point, but I think he could be effective in International cricket already. I loved the way he bowled against Gauteng especially against Bavuma and really should have had him out but for a dropped catch ( he would have had 3-3 ). Young Rugare could become a crucial player for Zimbabwe as he looks comfortable bowling with the new ball, during the middle overs and could also bowl at the death.

All in all a good tournament with some bright showings from some of the younger guys, it would have been nice to play Gauteng last once the boys had found their feet a bit. Once again the early squad selections have made ZC look stupid with the fact Kamunhukamwe has been picked for the RSA ODI series in front of Tari. You could also argue Madziva deserves to be there in front of Ngarava whilst Magarira wouldn't look out of place either.