No longer blessed

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: No longer blessed

Post by jaybro »

I disagree with Dogg that the reason he got signed or he chose to sign with Notts was because of the ZRS program.

I highly doubt Notts picked him because of what he did against 3rd division club teams, they would have seen him play the pink test and the ODI’s that followed. The qualifiers were where Blessing got some attention.

Without the ZRS program he would have still likely got a club deal in England if he wanted it.

Although I’m disappointed he’s gone I’m also happy because he’ll have a great time and learn a lot in three years and hopefully return a better player.

We really need Mumba, Ngararva & Mashinge to come on evolve into good bowlers, and also target Matigmu for a return.

Otherwise we’re stuck with Mpofu & Tiripano
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -explained

When I read this, what strikes me is this Cotonou deal. I don’t know the background to it, but if it’s amended or repealed, Africans won’t be able to be kolpaked.

Also Brexit will make these obsolete.

I still don’t understand why Irish and Dutch can do both?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 am
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -explained

When I read this, what strikes me is this Cotonou deal. I don’t know the background to it, but if it’s amended or repealed, Africans won’t be able to be kolpaked.

Also Brexit will make these obsolete.

Maybe the pressure to sign a kolpak deal halfway through a season is because of Brexit

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Irish players won't sign Kolpak deal anymore, as their motive behind the signing was playing test cricket.Ireland going to be the new home for talented Proteas & Zimbos within few years.
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/its-a-tall-loss/

Blessing couldnt even afford a cellphone before he broke into the national team. I really hope he tears it up. Its going to be a lot of hard work but I hope that hunger for a better life keeps him going. Really cant blame the kid. ZC are obviously not reliable at all. The bet is probably that he will get a deal as big as Jarvis or BT when he comes back. Either way his life has changed forever.

I know you guys are probably tired of me saying this but this is why I was critical of selections before. A lot of these guys are really betting their future on ZC. They have nothing else. Picking players not based on merit is a slap in the face for some of these guys who put in all the hard yards on the domestic scene. The least you can do is give everybody a fair chance.

A small example for me is seeing that Prince Masvaure isnt a bad player at all. It made me wonder why on earth he didnt get more opportunities. This is also not about Heath Streak who Blessing even credited in this article but its a culture we have always had for the last decade from the days of Prosper getting picked to bowl medium pacers at the world cup. Guys like Forster Mutizwa deserve a fair shot.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Whilst others are suggesting its Taibu's fault that Blessing left. These guys are pathetic.

http://www.sundaynews.co.zw/zc-tried-to ... uzarabani/

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It does seem odd he would sign the deal now when he had the chance to tour South Africa & Bangladesh.

Oh well I’m still happy enough that he’s gone and will return a better player. If ZC are smart they could actually ha e a good side in a few years because a lot of talented youngsters are learning their trade in England. ZC could get these back after they’ve been developed overseas.

They’re too stupid to do this though
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

This is obviously the right decision for him. Even if he doesn't do well in county cricket, he'll get better training and development there than he would in Zim playing twice a year against Kenya and Sri Lanka A.

I reckon he will do well though. At his height, in the country system, they'll teach him to bowl quicker and get movement through the air. Anthony Ireland made a decent fist of it, and I think BM has more tools...

NickG

Post by NickG »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am
Whilst others are suggesting its Taibu's fault that Blessing left. These guys are pathetic.

http://www.sundaynews.co.zw/zc-tried-to ... uzarabani/
Taibu should sue for libel. That is 100% incorrect, not that it even needs saying.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 am
EU = Freedom of movement for workers = there is no difference whatsoever between a UK, Irish or Dutch cricketer in terms of employment (until Brexit kicks in, of course)